Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Joseph Blandisi (2 years, $680k AAV)

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
He still has to go through waivers, right? Two way just means his contract is different if he's sent down?

I always get confused by this.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He still has to go through waivers, right? Two way just means his contract is different if he's sent down?

I always get confused by this.

According to CapFriendly, he is waivers exempt...which seems a bit surprising.

The one way vs. two way contracts have nothing to do with waiver status, just how much they are paid in the NHL vs. AHL.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The first thing I thought was Reid Boucher when I saw the two way contract.

Boucher was only given a one year deal, so I think Blandisi will get more rope than that.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
According to CapFriendly, he is waivers exempt...which seems a bit surprising.

The one way vs. two way contracts have nothing to do with waiver status, just how much they are paid in the NHL vs. AHL.

I'm 99% sure he isn't waiver exempt.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I still like him. I hope he can earn a spot and run with it. He has the talent to be a 30+ point bottom 6 pest that can help on the PP as well.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm 99% sure he isn't waiver exempt.

From CapFriendly:

Joseph Blandisi Waivers

Exemption Determination

Waivers signing age: 20
Position: skater
Years Exempt: 3
NHL Games Played Exempt: 160
Seasons complete determination:
First pro-game while signed to an SPC: 2015-16
Current season: 2017-18
Seasons complete: 2

So according to this, he will not have to pass thru waivers until next season since he only has 2 years pro experience and played in only 68 NHL games. At 3 years or 160 games he would have to clear waivers.

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator/joseph-blandisi#results

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I like Blandisi a lot and I hope ge can put his game together and become a regular next season. He's got a lot of tools and he's a pest. He's a player that gets under teams' skins and we haven't really had one of those since the early Clarkson days.

Now we could have two in Blandisi and Wood.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Capfriendly is right that Blandisi is still ineligible for waivers, but they have his signing date wrong - his signing age is 21, so he only needs 80 games to be eligible.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He signed his first contract on January 14th, 2015 at the age of 20.

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-sign-free-agent-c-joseph-blandisi/c-748689

Someone with a better idea of how the contracts work should be able to answer this, but I think the actual signing date isnt that important. There has to be some kind of contract year that it goes by, like whatever his age is by a certain date -- which is the 'signing age' Triumph is referencing.

Cap friendly seems to be pretty spot on with their records and regularly update cases like this, so I'm going to take their word for this one.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Someone with a better idea of how the contracts work should be able to answer this, but I think the actual signing date isnt that important. There has to be some kind of contract year that it goes by, like whatever his age is by a certain date -- which is the 'signing age' Triumph is referencing.

Cap friendly seems to be pretty spot on with their records and regularly update cases like this, so I'm going to take their word for this one.

They're wrong. Just like they were wrong about Josefson being RFA and Auvitu being RFA. They are not reliable on the margins and this is the margin.

A player's signing age is the age he is on September 15th of the year he signs. So that's 21 for Blandisi.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
They're wrong. Just like they were wrong about Josefson being RFA and Auvitu being RFA. They are not reliable on the margins and this is the margin.

A player's signing age is the age he is on September 15th of the year he signs. So that's 21 for Blandisi.

I think you're right on this one.

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

If a player turns 20 before December 31 in the entry-draft calendar year preceding the first season of the players entry-level contract, they are considered 20, and so on.

For players whom are 20 or older, the year in which they play their first Professional Game (e.g. NHL, AHL, ECHL, KHL, European Leagues) is the year which is considered their first year towards the waiver exemption; however, the player must be under an NHL contract.

Blandisi's first pro season was in 2015, during which he turned 21.

So he's still waiver exempt to start the season up until he plays 12 more NHL games.

Just gives the Devils a little less flexibility if/when he hits that mark - hopefully it's a non-issue though if Blandisi locks down a steady spot. If he's borderline, maybe a better chance he starts in the AHL to give a guy like McLeod a long look.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I think you're right on this one.

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

Blandisi's first pro season was in 2015, during which he turned 21.

So he's still waiver exempt to start the season up until he plays 12 more NHL games.

Just gives the Devils a little less flexibility if/when he hits that mark - hopefully it's a non-issue though if Blandisi locks down a steady spot. If he's borderline, maybe a better chance he starts in the AHL to give a guy like McLeod a long look.

I imagine he will start in the AHL as I expect we will have at least a few guys getting their 9 game look before making a further decision. Not all will make it so Blandisi likely will have an opportunity a month or so into the season.

He really just needs to settle into a 3rd line role with the talent we've added so the pressure is hopefully off.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Good that he can be sent to the minors. If we have too much depth at the NHL level, he can develop more and potentially compete the following season rather than sit this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->