Confirmed with Link: Devils Ink Josh Jacobs to ELC

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
No-one really knows the expansion draft details.

Based on the rumors, players with less than 3 years of 'professional experience' would be protected automatically. Who knows what that means though.. 10 NHL games? 1 NHL games? 10 NHL or AHL games? An accrued season (40 NHL games?).

If this year counts as their 1st year, then they should still be exempt until July 1st, 2018.. and the rumors of the expansion draft were this or next off-season, correct? Should be safe but who knows.

I don't think the expansion draft should interfere with business as usual though. End of the day, that's a decision for another day and you have to make sure you're still developing players. If you end up losing one or two, oh well but can't let it paralyze you.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No-one really knows the expansion draft details.

Based on the rumors, players with less than 3 years of 'professional experience' would be protected automatically. Who knows what that means though.. 10 NHL games? 1 NHL games? 10 NHL or AHL games? An accrued season (40 NHL games?).

If this year counts as their 1st year, then they should still be exempt until July 1st, 2018.. and the rumors of the expansion draft were this or next off-season, correct? Should be safe but who knows.

I don't think the expansion draft should interfere with business as usual though. End of the day, that's a decision for another day and you have to make sure you're still developing players. If you end up losing one or two, oh well but can't let it paralyze you.

Ya I believe the thinking process is the draft would be summer of 2017 with one team joining Vegas (I think they want Seattle but IDK). This summer is just the formal introduction of the Vegas Black Knights I think.

Only thing that seemed for sure was that teams can only protect one goalie. Also it sounds like we are safe with our kids, but might need to expose someone like Camm.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
They should be protected under the 1-2 year deal. We needed to get the college kids signed as they would of been exposed without deals (not that the odds were high they got picked, but still).

No I agree the BC kids were all close to ufa status
Don't want a vesey on our hands

Wow how quick did Shero change the avg on this team

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Can Quenneville be far behind once Brandon is out?

This bodes very well for the offseason. Shero's really going to start turning things over and put his stamp on the team.

Belated kudos to Lou. There's been a lot to be disappointed about recently, especially in the prospect department, but these are all still his guys coming through.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

This bodes very well for the offseason. Shero's really going to start turning things over and put his stamp on the team.

Belated kudos to Lou. There's been a lot to be disappointed about recently, especially in the prospect department, but these are all still his guys coming through.

JQ is already signed I believe so there is nothing going there. Plus Brandon should be set for a very deep playoff run.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
JQ is already signed I believe so there is nothing going there. Plus Brandon should be set for a very deep playoff run.

The competition at camp should be fun this year. Even if most don't make it then Albany should be a force...until the kids get called up.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

JQ is signed. He would have been able to play in the NHL like Zacha and he can report to the AHL without burning a year when his season is done.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The competition at camp should be fun this year. Even if most don't make it then Albany should be a force...until the kids get called up.

I think that is the entire point. Make this year's camp even more competitive than last year. Make Albany even deeper, and get some more youth into the big club.

Shero isn't dumb. He wants the majority of this team built from the inside, with only a few key trades and signings coming from outside to fill the remaining holes.

So he wants these kids signed, and playing meaningful hockey as long as they can to give them the best chance possible to meaningfully compete at camp

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Actually all the more reason to draft D. We only have one playing at the junior or college level.

That is how the cupboard runs bare.

we have 9 picks this year. assuming we use all 9, i'd say we should draft majority forwards, like 6-7, and 2-3 defensemen. it's not urgent just yet, and in fact our pipeline is gonna be full next year in albany, but yeah we need a few quality defensemen, use the riskier late round picks to draft high risk high reward forwards.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
we have 9 picks this year. assuming we use all 9, i'd say we should draft majority forwards, like 6-7, and 2-3 defensemen. it's not urgent just yet, and in fact our pipeline is gonna be full next year in albany, but yeah we need a few quality defensemen, use the riskier late round picks to draft high risk high reward forwards.

Follow the BPA roll which should lead to a few Dmen.

I would like to see centers and RWs drafted on the forward side.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Speers is a righty so I'm sure he can/has played RW. Lappin too for that matter.

And with the strides the Devils have made in just one year I'm fine with BPA on the first pick or two, though I'd still rather attempt to stock C/RW after that if nothing else.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Blake Speers was drafted as a RW, but has been playing this year at the Center position. I don't know, but I actually like Speers better on the wing, even though his skating, passing, IQ, and vision are all remarkable.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Blake Speers was drafted as a RW, but has been playing this year at the Center position. I don't know, but I actually like Speers better on the wing, even though his skating, passing, IQ, and vision are all remarkable.

So we have one RW in the system with talent. Center that can play RW and pure RWs are a need in the draft this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->