Pre-Game Talk: Devils in the SENS Den tonight, 7:30pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I don't see the point of criticizing the Coach. Do I agree with some things that I think he's mostly to blame for? Not always, but understand it comes with the job.

I think I've mentioned, in the past year, that I'm not impressed with the PP, and thought that the PP was one of his calling cards, when he was brought in.

Last season I thought, after the "system" came up to stride, that exiting the D zone had improved over the previous two coaches, and now think there's been some backsliding on this aspect to the team's play.

However, he's the Coach today, and it does not matter what I say, or post on this site...... and it will change nothing. I just try to see things in perspective, and point to reasons why someone is upset with the Coach.

A "fan" may think that Player A, in Belleville is better than who is playing for the Sens at the time ...... and blames the Coach for playing Player B on the fourth line ...... The Coach can't be held responsible for that, if it were true, it's no his (final) decision to have the player called up and put in the line up. We don't know the development plans for each and every prospect, and management does, and the GM and his staff are the ones who decides who comes up from Belleville when a situation calls for a "call up".
The coach is responsible for scratching players though aren't they? Ice time distribution? Line mates? Systems? You can't possibly lay blame solely on management when the coach is the one who is controlling game time decisions. I highly doubt call ups are single-handedly chosen by Dorion. He probably talks it over with the entire coaching staff as well.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The coach is responsible for scratching players though aren't they? Ice time distribution? Line mates? Systems? You can't possibly lay blame solely on management when the coach is the one who is controlling game time decisions. I highly doubt call ups are single-handedly chosen by Dorion. He probably talks it over with the entire coaching staff as well.

Of course when there's an injury and a call up is needed, the GM consults with the Coach as to what "role" in the line up needs to be filled, after he's made the moves, in the line up to cover (if he can) the missing player for the existing players ..... for example, moving a third liner up to cover someone (missing) in the top six, and then someone from the fourth line to cover for the player moved up to the top six ..... leaving a spot on the fourth line, to be filled with the call up.

Yes there are times, such as now, that the team is not going to make the playoffs, and the GM suggests that instead of doing what I described in the above example, they bring up someone to "have a look at" or to "showcase" and insert that player into the third line or top six.

But I keep going back to the coach, who when a game begins, is focused on winning that game, and is not going to jeopardize his teams chances of winning, and play a "call up" more than he wants to, as it's not his responsibility to sacrifice the teams chances to win, if he feels playing Max McCormick 25 minutes would do that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Of course when there's an injury and a call up is needed, the GM consults with the Coach as to what "role" in the line up needs to be filled, after he's made the moves, in the line up to cover (if he can) the missing player for the existing players ..... for example, moving a third liner up to cover someone (missing) in the top six, and then someone from the fourth line to cover for the player moved up to the top six ..... leaving a spot on the fourth line, to be filled with the call up.

Yes there are times, such as now, that the team is not going to make the playoffs, and the GM suggests that instead of doing what I described in the above example, they bring up someone to "have a look at" or to "showcase" and insert that player into the third line or top six.

But I keep going back to the coach, who when a game begins, is focused on winning that game, and is not going to jeopardize his teams chances of winning, and play a "call up" more than he wants to, as it's not his responsibility to sacrifice the teams chances to win, if he feels playing Max McCormick 25 minutes would do that.
You’ve basically said he any coach is beyond criticism for any game decision. You need to understand how crazy that it.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

I'd say something is wrong with the incentive schemes of the organization if the coach's short term view on winning is clashing with the organization's best interests in the long term.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I'd say something is wrong with the incentive schemes of the organization if the coach's short term view on winning is clashing with the organization's best interests in the long term.

So, in your world, you'd prefer to see the coach play more of the bottom six forwards than the top six, less Karlsson and more Oduya, and do everything he can to see that his team loses a game, rather than win it?

Is that going to increase ticket sales? Is that going to save him from Being fired?

BTW, how did you determine what "the organization's best interests in the long term" are?

Did someone in the Organization leak you some info?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So, in your world, you'd prefer to see the coach play more of the bottom six forwards than the top six, less Karlsson and more Oduya, and do everything he can to see that his team loses a game, rather than win it?
39313e49-b5f7-4422-8510-048291edf9d1.png

When did I say any of this?

BTW, how did you determine what "the organization's best interests in the long term" are?
Erm... winning? Making money?

Did someone in the Organization leak you some info?
No, I'm just very smart!

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

So in your world , when a coach scratches star players couples of games before play-offs begin when PO are a lock what does that mean?
Its often done in NHL NBA NFL MLB to rest players, prevent them from getting injured ,confuse the other teams etc. Not only to have a look or showcase.
They do that for the long run
Because they its better for the future
Coaches are not dumb enough to play only game by game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->