Devils goalie dissection thread

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Everyone has opinions, PERIOD.

I don't get why you would take what Eddy says so personally.

Sorry glenwo2, I owe you a better reply than saying I liked your post.
Here it is:

He posted, "Cory was good tonight. Period"
My interpretation of that is he gave his opinion re: Cory. And by posting "PERIOD" he didn't expect or respect any other opinion. As if to say don't bother posting.

I posted my reply. It an attitude and not the first time. It's his way or the highway. I said he should respect opinions of others, that's all.

I actually thought Cory had a good night in game 4.

Thanks for your interest.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
this entire situation in the playoffs just assures me there are people who will never like Schneider no matter what. They preach and preach for weeks about how Kinkaid is better because "he has better numbers" or "hes winning games"

Schneider has done both at a much better rate than Kinkaid so far these playoffs, and we have people STILL suggesting that Schneider not start. Schneider has allowed 4 goals in nearly 2.5 games.

It boggles my mind.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
this entire situation in the playoffs just assures me there are people who will never like Schneider no matter what. They preach and preach for weeks about how Kinkaid is better because "he has better numbers" or "hes winning games"

Schneider has done both at a much better rate than Kinkaid so far these playoffs, and we have people STILL suggesting that Schneider not start. Schneider has allowed 4 goals in nearly 2.5 games.

It boggles my mind.

It's pretty simple. Since Brodeur left, certain posters dislike/HATE Cory and his playing style and like Kinkaid because his style is similar to Brodeur. Kinkaid went on a nice run, whereby myself and others said he DESERVED to play over Cory. He helped the team get into the playoffs. He started games 1 and 2 and did not win no matter what the reason. Cory was in a huge slump that everyone would agree with and needed time off. He's also been slow moving which leads to people thinking he may be hurt and need offseason surgery. All of this does not mean Keith Kinakid is a better goaltender then Cory Schenider. Cory's best is simply better then Keith's best.

Cory has played very well his past 2 games, yet, certain posters only come into the game-day threads when Cory lets in goals. He could let in a 5-0 goal and people would hate on him calling it a "softy." The timing is impeccable! And when Kinakid lets in goals, they're quick to show up and say its not his fault blah blah. It's so obvious that people just don't like the guy and I don't know why.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Couple months ago I didn't care because I didn't trust either goalie. Now I don't care because I trust both goalies.

Simple as that, team needs to score goals and give them less quality ice to work with. Either goalie will do fine at this point if the team can play well enough.

Camille the Eel

I argue the reverse side of this accurate statement. I distrust or trust them equally.

Take the playoffs.

Goaltending is the difference in tight playoff games. Boston wins last night because Rask outplays Anderson. Tampa beat us on Wednesday because Vasilevsky outplayed Schneider. Cory was good but not good enough. That first goal he let in - maybe the game is different if he does not let that shot get by him.

Nothing in Schneider or Kinkaid’s bodies of work leads me to believe either of them can play at a level that gets us out of a first round playoff series and on a deep playoff run. They were good enough to get us here as the 8th of 8 clubs in the east; and a couple points away from being the 4th or 5th or 6th. They are not good enough, once we start round robin play among the elite, to take us further. They are neither of them in the class of Rask or Vasilevsky.

I doubt that either will become much more than they are. Which is good, not great. For Cory this is very set, given his age. Kinkaid at least is still a work in progress.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Cory kept us in position to get G4 into OT. He did his job. We failed to score the tying goal. That's on the players and to some extent, Hynes for not getting a struggling Nico off the first line (my opinion).

Reactions: glenwo2

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Cory's play these past few games is very reassuring for me. I was worried about our goaltending a bit but he's shown he still has the ability to step up and play big games. Can he repeat this success as a starter next season? I don't know but I hope he can. In the mean time I've also never been more confident in Kinkaid as a backup, so if Schneider does struggle next year I think Kinkaid can step in again and help us out.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Only goal I had a problem with in game 4 was the one that was recalled, that was just gross.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
sami vatanen scored on his own rebound against kinkaid. 80% of the goals in this series were not his fault. i dont care who the devils go with because i think they aren't winning this series. i just think it would be a nice gesture to give keith another game. corys a big boy and will understand that he is now part of a platoon because of the way he ended the season. he has 1 win in his past 15 starts. i dont think a 2 game sample size is indicative of how kinkaid or schneider have played over the past couple months. i dont hate schneider but keith earned a bit more rope and deserved better play by the team in front of him. any goalie is allowing 3 goals with the way the devils played in the 2nd period of game 2 which knocked kinkaid out of net.

if cory played well to end the season we wouldnt even be the 8th seed and facing arguably the most talented team in the league.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
sami vatanen scored on his own rebound against kinkaid. 80% of the goals in this series were not his fault. i dont care who the devils go with because i think they aren't winning this series. i just think it would be a nice gesture to give keith another game. corys a big boy and will understand that he is now part of a platoon because of the way he ended the season. he has 1 win in his past 15 starts. i dont think a 2 game sample size is indicative of how kinkaid or schneider have played over the past couple months. i dont hate schneider but keith earned a bit more rope and deserved better play by the team in front of him. any goalie is allowing 3 goals with the way the devils played in the 2nd period of game 2 which knocked kinkaid out of net.

if cory played well to end the season we wouldnt even be the 8th seed and facing arguably the most talented team in the league.

I like how this is only true when Kinkaid plays well, but not when Cory plays well. You know for the THREE YEARS where he did without any results because the rest of the team was garbage.

its amazing the mental gymnastics some of you will go through to try and prove a point

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I like how this is only true when Kinkaid plays well, but not when Cory plays well. You know for the THREE YEARS where he did without any results because the rest of the team was garbage.

its amazing the mental gymnastics some of you will go through to try and prove a point

who cares what happened 3 years ago? are you saying we should base our lineup on things that happened 3 years ago?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah thats not mental gymnastics. I really don't care what anyone on are team did 3 years ago. Look, they can start Schneider and I'd be fine with that. I can also like the other goaltender who has been playing really well unless his team absolutely does not show up. Even before that Kinkaid was keeping us in games when he had no right to. 2 Away games against the top team in the league when your team is scoring on you and allowing every screen and deflection to go through is just a bad way to end the season for the goalie who saved it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
who cares what happened 3 years ago? are you saying we should base our lineup on things that happened 3 years ago?

insert years with months or even weeks...same difference when you're talking playoffs

Kinkaid allowed a ton of goals in his 2 games. Cory has not. Therefore, Cory should play.

I absolutely DO NOT want to hear "the team didn't play well in front of him" nonsense because you guys explicitly did not want to hear that when we were talking about Schneider earlier this year (or earlier in his career here)

/fin

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
insert years with months or even weeks...same difference when you're talking playoffs

Kinkaid allowed a ton of goals in his 2 games. Cory has not. Therefore, Cory should play.

I absolutely DO NOT want to hear "the team didn't play well in front of him" nonsense because you guys explicitly did not want to hear that when we were talking about Schneider earlier this year (or earlier in his career here)

/fin

except cory was not playing better than kinkaid 'months or weeks' ago. years ago, yes he was. but again, why on earth would that factor into lineup choices in 2018?

if you want to use a 2 game sample size and say cory should start game 5, that's more reasonable. still misguided, but more reasonable. but what schneider did in 2015 or whenever is completely irrelevant.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
except cory was not playing better than kinkaid 'months or weeks' ago. years ago, yes he was. but again, why on earth would that factor into lineup choices in 2018?

if you want to use a 2 game sample size and say cory should start game 5, that's more reasonable. still misguided, but more reasonable. but what schneider did in 2015 or whenever is completely irrelevant.

Cory has been better overall in this series, so Cory should play.

better?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
team was not playing at the level they were in games 1 and 2 over the 13 games where cory looked miserable. thats recent history. obviously, i've been pro kinkaid all season but we all just want the team to win. i don't think either goalie gives much of an advantage over the other. just would like to see the devils end the season with kinkaid in net because of how he got them into the playoffs. if cory has a poor game then we're back at square one next season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
My entire point is if the numbers for the goalies in this series were switched, you guys would be singing a completely different tune. There would be no "the team is playing better in front of Goalie A!!" stuff.

If you can just admit that, then we can move on (we all know you won't though)

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
My entire point is if the numbers for the goalies in this series were switched, you guys would be singing a completely different tune. There would be no "the team is playing better in front of Goalie A!!" stuff.

If you can just admit that, then we can move on (we all know you won't though)

not really, if the numbers were switched there would be no question. corys had a solid couple of games where hes looked good. i admit that.

i admitted that im ok with starting either goalie. i can have the opinion of wanting to see goalie A over goalie B and its supported by larger than a 4 game sample size.

if cory didn't end the season the way he did than kinkaid would have never saw the first couple games. but theres a reason keith was the starting goalie and there is a reason to be skeptical of corys expected play.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
In the playoffs, what you did weeks ago has no bearing. You don't have time to mess around with things. You play the goalie who has been better recently and you hope for the best.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I argue the reverse side of this accurate statement. I distrust or trust them equally.

Take the playoffs.

Goaltending is the difference in tight playoff games. Boston wins last night because Rask outplays Anderson. Tampa beat us on Wednesday because Vasilevsky outplayed Schneider. Cory was good but not good enough. That first goal he let in - maybe the game is different if he does not let that shot get by him.

Nothing in Schneider or Kinkaid’s bodies of work leads me to believe either of them can play at a level that gets us out of a first round playoff series and on a deep playoff run. They were good enough to get us here as the 8th of 8 clubs in the east; and a couple points away from being the 4th or 5th or 6th. They are not good enough, once we start round robin play among the elite, to take us further. They are neither of them in the class of Rask or Vasilevsky.

I doubt that either will become much more than they are. Which is good, not great. For Cory this is very set, given his age. Kinkaid at least is still a work in progress.
I think it's beyond disingenuous to say Tampa beat us on Wednesday because Vasilevskiy outplayed Schneider. Tampa beat us on Wednesday because the Lightning outplayed the Devils and that's the bottom line.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think it's beyond disingenuous to say Tampa beat us on Wednesday because Vasilevskiy outplayed Schneider. Tampa beat us on Wednesday because the Lightning outplayed the Devils and that's the bottom line.
He did stonewall us on 3 break aways.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He did stonewall us on 3 break aways.
I think Zajac's hit the post.

Maroon's attempt was pretty lousy.

Not to take anything away from him, he played great, but I don't think we'd need to argue for long that the Lightning were the superior team in this game. You can argue that he outplayed Cory, but that wasn't the reason why we lost.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think Zajac's hit the post.

Maroon's attempt was pretty lousy.

Not to take anything away from him, he played great, but I don't think we'd need to argue for long that the Lightning were the superior team in this game. You can argue that he outplayed Cory, but that wasn't the reason why we lost.
When a team gets a million power plays and 3 breakaways and only scores once.....thats your problem.

Maroon actually made a really good move, he got the goalie down and out but he did not keep the puck close enough to him so he could have just chipped it over the pad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad