Devils goalie dissection thread

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
it doesn't matter who starts if we lose - it will have been the wrong call unless the score is 1-0
Yup.

Exactly the same thing with the whole ''We should have hoped for Washington! We should have hoped for Boston! We shouldn't have sat guys in the last game so we could have won and played Pittsburgh!''.

I mean, even if Cory plays great and we lose 2-1 or god forbid 1-0 in multi OT, the ''Days since Schneider's last win'' clock will get brought up again.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal

Timos back! Let's go!
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Yup.

Exactly the same thing with the whole ''We should have hoped for Washington! We should have hoped for Boston! We shouldn't have sat guys in the last game so we could have won and played Pittsburgh!''.

I mean, even if Cory plays great and we lose 2-1 or god forbid 1-0 in multi OT, the ''Days since Schneider's last win'' clock will get brought up again.

That, or, "Goals for Cory" Salvation Army donations.

Reactions: Bleedred

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I was crushing Cory, talking about how Eddie Lack was maybe a better option to backup right now cause of Cory's mental state. I am thrilled to be wrong, 35 proved his mettle in a big spot last night. Great job. Changes the whole equation not only now but heading into the offseason. This is the best possible outcome for him to have come in and gotten that win in that fashion. Well done.

Reactions: NJDevs26

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Still doesn't change my opinion of kk being the better long term goalie for us.

We were lucky Tampa limited it's shots after cory was hurt again, or it would've been different. He was bailed out by the offense after the very weak second goal( common trend in his games). The team played better overall, which was the difference.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
As a goaltender, a huge part of the game is mental, and Cory was clearly doubting himself at the end of the season. Hopefully the big win last night has put his confidence back on track and he can be lights-out as was the case in the early half of the season. If there is a time to step up, now is it, and he's taken the first step.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Gut wrenching watching him pull himself across the crease anticipating a shot from his right, then able to only sit up to block another soon after from the left. That was some battle. Team bailed him out a couple times real huge too last night but I'm glad he proved to himself he can get back on the horse.

He definitely had a few timely saves. That one kick out followed up by the glove save certainly stands out. Hard for me to fault him on the Stamkos goal, I mean he is a top flight shooter after all. I think he beats a lot of goalies in the moment on that one.

I just hope when Cory couldn't get back up was merely a cramp or some such momentary bs. He seemed fine in the post game interview but of course it's not like he could let on if he was still hurting anyway. I was certainly nervous about him coming back in, I thought he was done when he finally skated towards bench after being down on the ice for a while.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Amanda is going with the ‘no injury, just a cramp’ line, guess we’ll see

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

We were lucky Tampa limited it's shots after cory was hurt again, or it would've been different. He was bailed out by the offense after the very weak second goal( common trend in his games). The team played better overall, which was the difference.

I'm not quite sure what Cory being hurt last night has to do with who is the more viable long term goalie. And the "very weak second goal" was Steven Stamkos wide open in the low slot with zero pressure from any Devils player. Under no circumstances is that a weak goal, and if Kinkaid let that in you would say he had no chance. Kinkaid had a hot month or so. Every backup goalie has that a few times in their career. I don't care if it's Johan Hedberg, Scott Clemmensen, Chad Johnson, Michael Leighton, or Scott Darling. They all regress back to the mean sooner rather than later.

We know what Kinkaid is. He's an average to slightly above average backup. Cory has dealt with some injury issues, and that really impacted what was a strong start to the season for him. When he's on his game, he is absolutely Vezina caliber, and I'm confident he will have no problem getting back to his typical level.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Regardless of what you think of Cory, he's a tough mother****er that played through clear pain last night.

I wouldn't be surprised if he needs surgery this offseason. Get all of his nagging stuff cleared up.

That’s what I’ve suspected is the problem as well. My concern is that the degenerative stuff that happens as you age is impossible to reverse and he is probably always going to be more prone to strains and sprains as he ages. He will probably need a good backup to play 30 or so games each year to allow his body enough rest and to rehab the pulls and such each season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Kinkaid is not going to be the longterm starter...that much I am fairly certain of

the "very weak 2nd goal" was a top 5 goal scorer in the NHL alone 15 feet from the net. I mean, seriously?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not quite sure what Cory being hurt last night has to do with who is the more viable long term goalie. And the "very weak second goal" was Steven Stamkos wide open in the low slot with zero pressure from any Devils player. Under no circumstances is that a weak goal, and if Kinkaid let that in you would say he had no chance. Kinkaid had a hot month or so. Every backup goalie has that a few times in their career. I don't care if it's Johan Hedberg, Scott Clemmensen, Chad Johnson, Michael Leighton, or Scott Darling. They all regress back to the mean sooner rather than later.

We know what Kinkaid is. He's an average to slightly above average backup. Cory has dealt with some injury issues, and that really impacted what was a strong start to the season for him. When he's on his game, he is absolutely Vezina caliber, and I'm confident he will have no problem getting back to his typical level.
And if any shooter other than Stamkos scored there I think the consensus would be it was a weak goal. It leaked through his arm and body. That’s a stoppable goal.

He had a great game last night though, but that’s a stoppable goal. It doesn’t mean he didn’t have a great game though.

This was definitely the best 4+ period stretch of goalie he’s played in months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->