Devils goalie dissection thread

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The goalie coach change did nothing for Schneider IMO.
It looked like it did early on, then he just fell apart.

I was really liking the move at first, giving Cory a guy he was familiar with. Even when he played good games in 16-17 (outside of in October when he was real good) he just didn't look confident that season. He really looked like that in December of this year and at other times before that, but it's been all downhill since then.

In the end, I don't think it was a bad move, I feel bad for Terreri, but it didn't hurt us. I don't blame Rollie. Shero thought that was a wise move to revive a long term asset for the team and I didn't disagree. I'm afraid Schneider may be FUBAR'd at this point. Is he as bad as his last 12 games? Certainly not. I think he can come in and play a good game or two or hit hot stretches again, but I don't see him ever returning to being a .920%+ goalie again. Not consistently from year to year. I'd be ecstatic if he was a .915% goalie next year.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It looked like it did early on, then he just fell apart.

I was really liking the move at first, giving Cory a guy he was familiar with. Even when he played good games in 16-17 (outside of in October when he was real good) he just didn't look confident that season. He really looked like that in December of this year and at other times before that, but it's been all downhill since then.

In the end, I don't think it was a bad move, I feel bad for Terreri, but it didn't hurt us. I don't blame Rollie. Shero thought that was a wise move to revive a long term asset for the team and I didn't disagree. I'm afraid Schneider may be FUBAR'd at this point. Is he as bad as his last 12 games? Certainly not. I think he can come in and play a good game or two or hit hot stretches again, but I don't see him ever returning to being a .920%+ goalie again. Not consistently from year to year. I'd be ecstatic if he was a .915% goalie next year.

I can agree with your assessment of both Schneider and the reason for the coaching change. My problem with Schneider at this point is he may be hurt but I don't know that and no one from the Devils has reported a Continuing injury. Cory has been erratic after his first couple of years with the Devils. So the gamble is when do you play him now for the playoffs, I guess is if we get to 0-3 play him the 4th game. If he doesn't play in the playoffs are we going to wait until next regular season to see what we have? Therefore missing any opportunity to see if we can get a goalie change as difficult as that maybe in the off-season. If the team in the off-season improves the defense, needed, and gets more fire power for the offense are we stuck with our present two goalies. Kinkaid has been great lately but is he on a hot streak or has he improved for the better, another question mark for the off season. Not a very good situation to be in with a rebuild.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still believe Schneider is not healthy.
I think there’s definitely some kind of health problems that contributed to this drop off in play. Both last year and this year. You don’t just forget how to goaltend or have your skills erode at 30 years old unless you have some underlying issues. Or unless you’re a piece of crap like Brian Elliott, who had a bunch of junk seasons before he even had any good ones.

In his games between late December and late January (and I know I’ve said this before) I didn’t think he played THAT badly when using the eye test. A couple of weak goals, every game was at least 3 goals against, no wins, whatever. But there were times that I thought he looked worse in some of his earlier games in October and November (he was great in December) than he did in January. It wasn’t until after he came back from being injured for over a month that I thought he really looked very scary bad.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He looked healthy in the third, though Andy wacking him in the head won’t help.
It took me a minute to realize what happened there. That’s the second friendly fire a teammate has taken from Greene lately. :laugh:Wasn’t it Palms who got accidentally got sticked by Greene a few weeks ago?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It took me a minute to realize what happened there. That’s the second friendly fire a teammate has taken from Greene lately. :laugh:Wasn’t it Palms who got accidentally got sticked by Greene a few weeks ago?

At first I thought he pulled something again as he went post to post, but it was just Greene.

He sliced Palms open a few weeks ago

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He looked healthy in the third, though Andy wacking him in the head won’t help.

This is why I think his troubles are mental, not physical. He has these brief stretches where he does look like 2015-16 Cory again then he allows a crap goal at the worst time and goes to **** again.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Time for a goalie change. What we have been doing clearly is not working.

I am not blaming Kinkaid for all these goals, but hes got nearly a 6 GAA and an .804 SV%

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I've been going back and forth on who should start game 3. With KK, you pretty much know what you'll get. He'll make nearly all the routine saves but probably won't "steal a game" for you. Schneider, when he's on game, is more likely to steal a game. But he hasn't been on his game for ages and might implode right off the bat.

It's a tough call...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Easy call for me. Kink.

He's been good for 2 months, and Schneid's hasn't been good for almost 4 months.

It's not like Kink was bad in either of the first 2 games.

Reactions: PrinceSexyHenrik

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Easy call for me. Kink.

He's been good for 2 months, and Schneid's hasn't been good for almost 4 months.

It's not like Kink was bad in either of the first 2 games.

I mean, he wasnt good. Hes got a near 6 GAA

Like I said, I am not blaming him for the loss. We're losing because of dumb penalties and turnovers.

However, they need to change things up. If Schneider had the stats Kinkaid does, you guys would be flipping out. Thats all I am saying.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Cory should get the nod...

Obviously the D is mostly to blame and I wouldn't say Cory "deserves" the start, but Kinkaid hasn't played well. An amateur could have put a beach ball top shelf on him for that opening goal yesterday. Horrid positioning.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
If Cory doesn’t start Monday I’m going to lose my chit.

This is do or die. Cory was brought on to be the guy in these situations. KK was given 2 starts, we got shelled. It’s over. TB is in his and our defense head. You make the change.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Before the series I thought, as many others, that Kinkaid has won himself two starts in playoffs. If neither of them goes particularly well, Schneider should start in 3rd. Now, you can say that most of the goals werent Kinkaid's fault, but I'd still stick to the original "plan". Besides, giving Schneider the start might just shake things up a bit.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I really don't care who the goalie is tomorrow.

On one hand, I can't fault Kinkaid on a single goals he's allowed this series. However, he certainly hasn't looked as comfortable and confident as he did a few weeks ago. There were quite a few plays, especially in Game 1, where he got beat CLEAN but Tampa failed to score due to bounces or whatever.

On the other hand, Cory came in and played well in his half game, making a few terrific saves. But I can't give him *too* much credit because Tampa had clearly taken their foot off the gas at that point.

This series isn't going to be lost on goaltending so I'm not entirely sure what the right move here is. If they think Kinkaid earned the right to be the #1 playoff guy and go down with the ship, fine. If they think switching to Cory will give the guys a shot to the arm that might spark the team, that's fine too.

Goaltending is not in my top 50 concerns in regards to this series. The coaching staff can do whatever they want.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Like I said in the GDT yesterday, I'd go with Cory. Just for the point that his A game is better than Keith's, and even though it's been a while since he's had that type of game I still think he's capable of delivering that. Just need to hope that's tomorrow. Like Afro said, this series won't be lost on our goaltending. We need better efforts from a bunch of guys to turn this around before goaltending becomes the deciding factor.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
To me, gotta go with schneider tomorrow. See if maybe yesterday gave him some positive vibes and he can give them at least something comparable to what we used to be accustomed to. Kinkaid's run reminded me of andrew hammond a few years back, where his magic eventually ran out in round one against the habs.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd play Cory, but an early bad goal gets him yanked and if he gets lit up too, I'd go back to Keith for game 4.

But if we lose tomorrow, we're losing the series. Doesn't mean we're getting swept or that we'll even lose in 5, but it means that we're like 98% losing or thereabouts.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not for nothing, but I've been saying this for a while now. It doesn't seem to change, but it will at some point.

The puck is due to start hitting Cory again, if not on accident or by sheer luck.

His .850% save percentage (or whatever it is) over the last 12 starts is unsustainable for even the most lousiest bum you can throw in net.

At some point, he's due for a good game or two. Just like Brian Elliott the other night. And Elliott didn't even look that great in making all those saves and was bailed by the post on what would have been an absolute stinker early.

Reactions: Bologna 1

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The x-factor of starting Cory tomorrow for me is the crowd. Cory hasn't played a home game since early March. Will there be patience with an early goal or two allowed?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The x-factor of starting Cory tomorrow for me is the crowd. Cory hasn't played a home game since early March. Will there be patience with an early goal or two allowed?
I think it depends.

If they're of the variety of those early goals he allowed against the Sharks or a dead angle goal like the one that happened late against the Panthers, I think he might get Bronx cheered off the ice.

If they're like the first two he allowed against Washington (which weren't bad, the bad ones came later), then I think they'd have some patience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->