Speculation: Devils Defense

Jan 21, 2018
Just for kicks it would be hilarious if the Devils traded Hall for a dman and got someone like OEL. Obviously hypothetical because they will never trade him but just seeing the difference in talent from their return vs Adam Larsson would be worth it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Like this and agree that you need to go hard after Carlson. You dont build thru UFA and the Devils have NOT done that. but you can buy a big one to solidify yourselves at a key spot and THIS is the guy for the Devils. No doubt in my mind. Overpay if you have to this is what all that cap space is for.

The issue I have here is with Greene still being on that first pair. If you're trading Severson, I'd like to try to get a LHD back to plug in there... even if its not a 1st pair guy - just to make the 2 LHD that player brought back in Severson trade, Butcher and Mueller and bump Greene to 7D. After that Lovejoy only has 1 year left and salary isnt too egregious. Can try to get somebody to take him with only 1 year (conditional 7) or make him this years Prout, bury him in Bing and wait for an injury.

Have to get Greene off the ice he is killing this team worse than Lovejoy at least Lovejoy has some pulse, a tad bit of physicality.

If the Devils hypothetically Carlson, it'll give them some balance on the first two pairs and allow them to reduce Greene's role. Devils likely just leave Mueller/Butcher to compete for 2LD next to Vatanen.

Ideally, you want to bump Greene down to the second pairing, but I don't see how that happens. Best bet is for the Devils to hope Mueller and Butcher can continue to develop.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I know I know the sky is falling and the organization is in shambles, you’ve had the same shtick for a while
Not at all... we’re looking great up front and butcher and vatanen are key pieces on D. Aside from those 2 though there isn’t much else back there

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Not much they can do unless they start drafting some quality dmen.

They easily have one of the bottom 3 defenses in the league.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
They could trade Holtby. But they will have to trade a key player to sign Carlson
Note how he's using the Cap #s from this year when the Cap is going up (from the mouth of the Commissioner) $3-5M.

Let's just do an obvious exercise. The Caps are Cap-Compliant today. They have the following FAs for next season UFAs: Beagle (1.75M) , Chiasson (660K), Carlson (3.97M) Kempny (900K) and Jerabek (925K).
RFAs: Wilson (2M), Smith-Pelley(650K), Boyd (660K), Bowey (703K), and Grubauer (1.5M).

Let's assume the Caps don't retain Beagle (Salary Cap Increase 3-5M +1.75M), Chiasson (+660k), one of Kempny OR Jerabek (+~900K), Smith-Pelley (+650K). And I like many fellow Caps posters assume the Caps will likely trade a G (let's assume) Grubauer (+1.5M). Chiasson, Smith-Pelley, and potentially Beagle can be replaced by players currently in the minors making league minimum (Stephenson and Boyd) and Jerabek/Kempny replaced by (Bowey or Djoos).

The Caps would have 3-5M + 1.75M + 660K + 900K + 650K + 1.5M. Or approximately $8.46M to give a slight increase to Wilson ($1-1.5M), a big increase to Carlson ($3-4M+) and choose to retain either Grubauer if he'll accept (2-3M) or Beagle ($2-3M).

Again, these aren't lies, they are realities. This scenario involves some assumptions on my part, that Beagle or Grubauer will be lost/traded but the Caps can retain Carlson and Wilson without trading anyone even with the minimum Salary Cap increase excluding the NHLPA-elect escalator.

72hockey guy is either ignorant or just innocently an Islanders fan. He could be forgiven for being ignorant but we've passed that juncture long ago. He also seems to think McLellan is our coach and that our coach would have anything at all to do with negotiating and re-signing FAs so take everything you hear from him with a large dose of smelling salt.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mike Green would be a good addition for them too if they can't land John Carlson.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Even with jake the mistake it's still a bad group.
Rielly and Gardiner need to be insulated with shutdown D that can actually play a top-4 game. I'd also like to remind you that this team finished with their highest point total of all-time behind this blueline, led by Rielly and Gardiner. Don't let the start of this series cloud your judgement. They need to do so much better than Severson.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
They Devils need a crease clearer, they did nothing to protect the slot.

A Bieksa or Gudbransson type. Currently, they look worse than the Islanders D, and that's the worst insult I can think of.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Note how he's using the Cap #s from this year when the Cap is going up (from the mouth of the Commissioner) $3-5M.

Let's just do an obvious exercise. The Caps are Cap-Compliant today. They have the following FAs for next season UFAs: Beagle (1.75M) , Chiasson (660K), Carlson (3.97M) Kempny (900K) and Jerabek (925K).
RFAs: Wilson (2M), Smith-Pelley(650K), Boyd (660K), Bowey (703K), and Grubauer (1.5M).

Let's assume the Caps don't retain Beagle (Salary Cap Increase 3-5M +1.75M), Chiasson (+660k), one of Kempny OR Jerabek (+~900K), Smith-Pelley (+650K). And I like many fellow Caps posters assume the Caps will likely trade a G (let's assume) Grubauer (+1.5M). Chiasson, Smith-Pelley, and potentially Beagle can be replaced by players currently in the minors making league minimum (Stephenson and Boyd) and Jerabek/Kempny replaced by (Bowey or Djoos).

The Caps would have 3-5M + 1.75M + 660K + 900K + 650K + 1.5M. Or approximately $8.46M to give a slight increase to Wilson ($1-1.5M), a big increase to Carlson ($3-4M+) and choose to retain either Grubauer if he'll accept (2-3M) or Beagle ($2-3M).

Again, these aren't lies, they are realities. This scenario involves some assumptions on my part, that Beagle or Grubauer will be lost/traded but the Caps can retain Carlson and Wilson without trading anyone even with the minimum Salary Cap increase excluding the NHLPA-elect escalator.

72hockey guy is either ignorant or just innocently an Islanders fan. He could be forgiven for being ignorant but we've passed that juncture long ago. He also seems to think McLellan is our coach and that our coach would have anything at all to do with negotiating and re-signing FAs so take everything you hear from him with a large dose of smelling salt.
lying again I see.the cap is not going up 5 M unless the players elect to use the escalator and at the full 5 % Which is no guarantee. that is just what you keep doing you lie and lie again. Do you think nobody can go to cap friendly and see the truth?

The players don't even vote on whether or not to use the escalator til june so even Mr Bettman doesn't know if the cap will go up 2M or 5M but you keep lying. I and several others have repeatedly explained this to you but you keep lying why? You also fail to include that you can't go with a 16 man roster.And that all your potential free agents must be replaced and most importantly teams must set aside about 3-5 million for injury related callups during the season.or do YOU think you'll be the first team ever in any sport to go injury free..? or do short term injury callups not get paid in your world?

Like I say your every post is a mix of lies and half truths

thats is why every time you spew this garbage I post the truth, devils fans and other teams arent idiots its why I direct them to cap friendly to see what a liar you are. they have a better case for getting Carlson than you want them to believe

i get that as a caps fan you want to deter thenm from going after your players by saying we'll easily re-sign him but dont lie to do it

Last edited:

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Update:

Greene loses his man takes a penalty, lovejoy leaves 2 guys wide open i front on the PK cause he got caught puck chasing.

Like I said, 2 serviceable defeseman On this team. Embarrassing

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
lying again I see.the cap is not going up 5 M unless the players elect to use the escalator and at the full 5 % Which is no guarantee. that is just what you keep doing you lie and lie again. Do you think nobody can go to cap friendly and see the truth?

The players don't even vote on whether or not to use the escalator til june so even Mr Bettman doesn't know if the cap will go up 2M or 5M but you keep lying. I and several others have repeatedly explained this to you but you keep lying why?
NHL salary cap to rise for 2018-19

Commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters at the conclusion of the league's board of governors meeting Friday that the projected salary cap for 2018-19 will be somewhere between $78 million and $82 million, up from the current $75 million.

78 - 75 = 3. The absolute minimum the Salary Cap will increase is $3M. Whether the NHLPA votes to use the escalator or not. It only goes up from there.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-salary-cap-rise-78-82m-next-season/sn-amp/

The players and the league have to agree on on a "growth factor," which would see the cap at $78 million if it stands at zero per cent, and $82 million if it reaches five per cent.

You and "several others" are about as right as you are smart or good at simple math.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
NHL salary cap to rise for 2018-19

Commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters at the conclusion of the league's board of governors meeting Friday that the projected salary cap for 2018-19 will be somewhere between $78 million and $82 million, up from the current $75 million.

78 - 75 = 3. The absolute minimum the Salary Cap will increase is $3M. Whether the NHLPA votes to use the escalator or not. It only goes up from there.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-salary-cap-rise-78-82m-next-season/sn-amp/

The players and the league have to agree on on a "growth factor," which would see the cap at $78 million if it stands at zero per cent, and $82 million if it reaches five per cent.

You and "several others" are about as right as you are smart or good at simple math.

so its not 80 like you were saying earlier

he did say "The players and the league have to agree on on a "growth factor, which means it hasnt been agreed to yet or cant you read

which is what ive said all along, not you however

but at least now you admit i was right

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
And there’s John Moore doing his part. These guys are not nhl players. Obvious to anyone watching this game

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
NJ could really use a LHD to play in front of Butcher and Greene on the left side.

Vatanen, Severson, Santini has the potential to be a good right side in my opinion.

Reactions: Classic Devil

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
so its not 80 like you were saying earlier

he did say "The players and the league have to agree on on a "growth factor, which means it hasnt been agreed to yet or cant you read

which is what ive said all along, not you however

but at least now you admit i was right
$80M is exactly half the difference between those two projections. I'd say that inference alone is more reasonable than every single post you've made on the subject.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
You also fail to include that you can't go with a 16 man roster.And that all your potential free agents must be replaced and most importantly teams must set aside about 3-5 million for injury related callups during the season.or do YOU think you'll be the first team ever in any sport to go injury free..? or do short term injury callups not get paid in your world?

thats is why every time you spew this garbage I post the truth, devils fans and other teams arent idiots its why I direct them to cap friendly to see what a liar you are. they have a better case for getting Carlson than you want them to believe

I'm going to make this easy for you. Please explain how a team that is Cap Compliant with a 23-man roster and $75M Salary Cap today (Capitals) cannot simply decide not to resign two players making $1.75M (Jay Beagle) and ~$900K (Kempny/Jerabek) and combine those savings with the Cap Increase ($3-5M) and NOT be able to offer Tom Wilson ($1M) and John Carlson ($3.5M) raises? Assuming Grubauer is likely traded.

Keep in mind $1.75 + 900K + 3 (minimum) is $4.65

Also remember Bowey/Djoos can replace Kempny/Jerabek and Stephenson/Boyd can replace Beagle.

As to the bolded, when I read your posts it's easy to be dumbfounded because I've definitely found the dumb.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
$80M is exactly half the difference between those two projections. I'd say that inference alone is more reasonable than every single post you've made on the subject.
no it is not, its not factual, it totally is out of the leagues hands, it totally depends on the players

and many players dont like being taxed 15% just so free agents that year can get more in free agency. especially the rank and file who dont make 7 or 8 million, your typical young player making 2m-4M lose on the average half a million to escrow for nothing

so the cap is 78M until the players agree to the escalator which is no sure thing and you still arent accounting for injuries or will the caps play with only 16 players and be injury free all year?

youre assuming somebody will take orpik with no cap consequence and that you can get by with only 4 defenseman

so goahead make a roster with 22 players grubauer and holtby, orpik still on the team and kempny and Carlson resignned for 8m and leaving at least 3-5m million left to account for normal injurys

YOUD ALSO HAVE A PISS POOR DEFENSE WITH BOWEY AND JERABEK ON YOUR 2ND PAIR

you cant do it and you know it

I dont care about your assumptions and neither does anyone else they are hogwashs

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad