Speculation: Devils Defense

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Oh I’m completely aware of the situation but saying you need 4 replacement defenders is completely inaccurate.
1. You have Santini
2. Severson is good enough maybe not a number 1 but definitely at least a number 3 D
3. Mueller is fine on a bottom pairing as is Lovejoy
4. Greene is still top 4.
Realistically you could use 1 maybe 2 D. The problem is you don’t have a solid number 1 so everyone is having to step up into roles that don’t exactly fit them.
1. Ok, that’s fair

2. He’s bottom pair at BEST, single handedlu throws games away.

3. Yes for mueller, LOL for lovejoy

4. No

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
There are two completely different players. Provorov controls the game for us. He played almost 28 minutes against Malkin in game 2. I don't know what you mean by Werensky >>>>>>> Provorov, and it's ok to have personal preference. But yeah, I think you may be alone in your math.
Not the point of this thread, message me

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Holy over reaction! Greene isn't the Greene from 5 years ago. But he is still a decent defenseman and the best positional one on the team. Severson seems to have lost confidence. I like Moore and I would re-sign him if it weren't for the fact that we have money available and he is the UFA. He isn't a top three defenseman. We need an upgrade but it shouldn't be at Moore's expense, but it will be becasue he is a UFA.
This team is filled with a bunch of #4's who are playing on the top four. It really isn't their fault when you have number 4 and 5 defensemen playing up against top lines and being scored on. Sure they can make bad plays, and be caught flatfooted etc. But we don't have a Hedman, Stralman McDonogough to go up against KUcherov, Stamkos, Gourde, Point, Johnson, Miller.
Vatanen is a #2.
Severson Greene, Moore Butcher and Mueller are number #4-5s.
Lovejoy is the only #1 defenseman on the team. He gets all the icetime. I think Hynes has to at some point realize that when he pencilled him down as a #1 defenseman he forgot to put "in the AHL".

I think the issue the Devils have isn't so much the fact that they aren't really bad at playing defense aside from Lovejoy. This series the Devils are being pressured to make the play very quickly and are constantly just giving it away and not being more patient with the puck.

There is an overreaction to this series. Did you really think you would beat Tampa? I mean it was possible but highly unlikely. They are on a completlely different level than us.
You have Nico and Hall as the only two offensive players doing anything. I don't care how fast we are. You can argue that we are the fastest team in the league, but when those fast players like Grabner and Wood are not playing aggresivly and taking the chances or the D is not getting the puck to them then they become useless. They can't finish. Zacha right now is playing as a fourth liner when he is our #2 centre. He is virtually an AHL calibre player on your second line.
MAroon plays a physical game and can win puck battles, but when he wins puck battles in the offensive zone who is he feeding it too? Why is Bratt not there or Palmeiri, Nico, Hall? Those are the kind of players that should be playing with Maroon. HE can get them the puck and they can create chances and he can be there for the dirty goals. That's what he does. Zacha isn't doing anythign when he gets the puck near the net. Either is wood.
The fact that Devil many fans were blaming Greene on that Tampa goal and not Severson makes me wonder how educated Devil fans are when it comes to hockey and that they just want to pick on certain players and have no reason why. Because that goal was on Severson and lots of people were blaming Greene.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

rip-leafs.jpg
Too soon man, too soon.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
1. Ok, that’s fair

2. He’s bottom pair at BEST, single handedlu throws games away.

3. Yes for mueller, LOL for lovejoy

4. No
Burns has thrown away games for the Sharks at times. Do you think he’s a bottom pairing?

Lovejoy is fine on the bottom pairing

Definitely

The way I see it is

Xxx-Vatanen
Santini-Severson
Mueller-Greene

Just guessed on handedness a little but that’s not bad. Now add someone like Carlson or de Haan as a lesser extent. And it looks good.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
LOL at that goal being on Severson and not Greene. Greene literally stood there, and pointed at Point and looked at Severson like he should be the one covering him, while POINT SKATED RIGHT AROUND GREENE. Greene literally even started skating over to Severson it looked like, instead of covering his man. I don’t know how the blame could be put on Severson there. He did exactly what he should in that situation. While Greene was literally on the ice for ALL 5 of Tampa’s goals, and so often blows his coverage on his man, and a goal is the end result

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
LOL at that goal being on Severson and not Greene. Greene literally stood there, and pointed at Point and looked at Severson like he should be the one covering him, while POINT SKATED RIGHT AROUND GREENE. Greene literally even started skating over to Severson it looked like, instead of covering his man. I don’t know how the blame could be put on Severson there. He did exactly what he should in that situation. While Greene was literally on the ice for ALL 5 of Tampa’s goals, and so often blows his coverage on his man, and a goal is the end result
Did you watch the goal? Greene was just getting on the ice. At the point Severson should have played the man on the right wing. Greene was pointing becasue hockey 101 says that Severson should've taken the man, but it was too late for him at that point. Blame Greene for slowing down for sure and there must've been miscommunication but he slowed down becasue Severson had a brainfart and let the man walk in instead of taking him. . WHy have the guy get on the ice and skate across the width of the ice to get the far man when Severson was closer? That is taught in pee wee, which i presume you never made it too.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Cost of Severson to Edmonton? All we’d need from him is to be a #4 behind Larsson and run a powerplay.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Severson

Would be fine as a top 4.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
here is the still. Look at where Greene is. The puck is in motion and about to cross the blueline. He takes the man with the puck. Severson is like duh. That was in severson for not paying attention and taking the far guy. Should've been on palmeiri as well for not taking point. Didn't even look over his shoulder. How you think that is in Greene is beyond me. The only thing Greene did wrong was telling severson that it was his man(which it was) instead of trying to stupidly cheese him down.
Edit. The still won't show up as the file is too big. Never posted a pic before. I'll just blame it on Greene

Last edited:

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
here is the still. Look at where Greene is. The puck is in motion and about to cross the blueline. He takes the man with the puck. Severson is like duh. That was in severson for not paying attention and taking the far guy. Should've been on palmeiri as well for not taking point. Didn't even look over his shoulder. How you think that is in Greene is beyond me. The only thing Greene did wrong was telling severson that it was his man(which it was) instead of trying to stupidly cheese him down.
Edit. The still won't show up as the file is too big. Never posted a pic before. I'll just blame it on Greene
As Greene is hopping onto the ice, he immediately sprints over to cover Point, which was good. Severson was keeping his distance from Point, and as he was about to engage, he sees Greene come over and run to cover Point. In Severson's mind, he is thinking that Greene is coming up to take Point and try to intercept the pass that went to Point, so he dropped back and covered in case there was another pass coming across into the middle. Now, it appears that Greene is covering Point. He makes it seem that he is covering Point in the way that he sprints over to cover him. Now, he points at Point to Severson, and appears to tell him to cover him, even though everything Greene has done has made it appear that he is covering Point on that play. As he is doing this, Point bolts passed Greene and to the net. Had Greene not stopped playing mid game to tell Severson to cover a man that he was covering, Greene could have been able to get over to Point and either strip the puck from him or deflect the shot, or even force a pass so that Tampa is forced to set up in the zone. But because Greene forgot to cover Point, even though everything he did indicated that he was the one covering him, the Bolts scored

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
As Greene is hopping onto the ice, he immediately sprints over to cover Point, which was good. Severson was keeping his distance from Point, and as he was about to engage, he sees Greene come over and run to cover Point. In Severson's mind, he is thinking that Greene is coming up to take Point and try to intercept the pass that went to Point, so he dropped back and covered in case there was another pass coming across into the middle. Now, it appears that Greene is covering Point. He makes it seem that he is covering Point in the way that he sprints over to cover him. Now, he points at Point to Severson, and appears to tell him to cover him, even though everything Greene has done has made it appear that he is covering Point on that play. As he is doing this, Point bolts passed Greene and to the net. Had Greene not stopped playing mid game to tell Severson to cover a man that he was covering, Greene could have been able to get over to Point and either strip the puck from him or deflect the shot, or even force a pass so that Tampa is forced to set up in the zone. But because Greene forgot to cover Point, even though everything he did indicated that he was the one covering him, the Bolts scored
lol. You ever play hockey? You have no idea how to analyze a game. This is clearly on severson and Palmeiri for not playing Point while Greene took the guy on his side, which was what he did. Like I said. You learn that in pee wee. Blame Greene all you want for pointing(pointing because he knew it wasn't his man) or for slowing down when he expected severson to take point. Fact is. Severson screwed up and because he did it messed up Greene when he realized severson was an idiot. You team gets caught on a line change. Your D stay the opposite side of the bench, so the d coming on doesn't have to skate all the way across cuz he has no time Not just hockey 101, its hockey common sense.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why would a team in the playoffs today move one of their best dmen for a lesser player?

He’s been a healthy scratch here and there and many Devils fans seem willing to move on from him. Edmonton sorely needs a RH powerplay option that doesn’t cost Draisaitl+ to acquire.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
He’s been a healthy scratch here and there and many Devils fans seem willing to move on from him. Edmonton sorely needs a RH powerplay option that doesn’t cost Draisaitl+ to acquire.
Okay fine

But why are the Devils moving a top 4 dman with upside for a 4th round pick, what has Caleb Jones done to even be a main piece in a deal for Severson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad