Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Like I said, he made the key forecheck against Carolina that won us that game and he provided us some great PK play. He helped, did not hurt. Better than Stafford/Hayes playing those late season games.

i would submit that most of our players know how to forecheck. but, if the rangers draft a really good defenseman in the 2nd round with our pick, we can all look back fondly on the time grabner forechecked well.

stafford actually did pretty well down the stretch (relatively speaking- it's still stafford). he even made it onto the non-forecheck score sheet

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The Devils barely made the playoffs. BAREly.

You really think they would have made the playoffs with someone like Hayes on the ice the last 20+ games instead of Grabner?

I highly doubt it.

What you're guilty of here, is blindly looking at "points" rather than the collective play a guy contributes, and Grabner was excellent at killing penalties & a pretty good forechecking presence as well, over a stretch of games where the Devils often won by only 1 goal.

You have a badly simplistic point of view on this, likely born of stubbornness than honestly.

i can see you've picked up the penalty kill and forechecking buzzwords and adopted them- that's how these false narratives spin out of control on here.

yeah when we give up what we did and bring on a guy like grabner, i expect to see tangible results (goals). i fully admit that. but off the score sheet, i saw a guy who, especially in the last few weeks, wasn't giving an honest effort. i saw a lot of gliding and a lack of urgency

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I'm not saying that Grabner is the main reason we made the postseason but denying the fact that both acquisitions helped us get to where we are today is denying reality.

whoops. you said if shero didn't make the trade for grabner, we would be playing golf right now. ridiculous.

and don't put 'both acquisitions' into the mix. maroon has been fine. he's been a big net front presence and showed some tremendous boardwork that has directly resulted in goals. grabner has done less for us down the stretch than stafford. he's done less than zacha. aside form games 1 and 2 he's done some good things on the PK. thats it. oh, and dat forecheck

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
At least he manned up and admitted it was a POS move

@JoeSMithTB
Victor Hedman on getting booed every time he touched by #NJDevils fans. “I probably deserved it.” Says he apologized to Nico after game for hitting him in groin. “Doesn’t belong in this game. Immature play by me.”

Respectable that he acknowledged it.

Reactions: PrinceSexyHenrik

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i was fine with dressing stafford. and for the millionth time- if they didn't want stafford or hayes or whoever playing, they could have called up any number of players from binghamton. guys who know how to kill penalties and forecheck and everything, the whole package. wouldn't have cost us a dime

Last edited by a moderator:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
i was fine with dressing stafford. and for the millionth time- if they didn't want stafford or hayes or whoever playing, they could have called up any number of players from binghamton. guys who know how to kill penalties and forecheck and everything, the whole package. wouldn't have cost us a dime

Who the f*** do we have in the minors that scored 25 goals at the NHL level this year, would have speed to burn and is known to be elite on the PK? Please, spare me your monday morning QB comments.

It was the right move to make at the time and the return we gave was peanuts. We wanted to add a veteran presence and you wanted us to bring up Lappin or Quenneville? That comment goes to show that debating this with you is a waste of time, so I thank you for that.

Anyways, you can cry yourself to sleep if you want to, what's done is done, so I don't even know I'm having this debate with you.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd rather see Joey or Lappin than Staff.

Preferably Bratt and Grabs in.
Lappin sucks, like really bad.

He also floated and gave absolutely no effort the last time he was up. I'd rather have Pietila up than him. And I don't even think Pietila is better than Lappin, it's just that Lappin coasted like a motherf***er last time.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

What a load of shit, he's got a concussion, he would have traveled with the team if it was just a shoulder injury. Consistently inconsistent as usual. Not surprising with that moron Paros running the gong show.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

What a load of ****, he's got a concussion, he would have traveled with the team if it was just a shoulder injury. Consistently inconsistent as usual. Not surprising with that moron Paros running the gong show.

By the rule, their logic is understandable. But short of banning all blindside hits, there is always going to be this grey area.

Every one of those hits is in there and a simple movement by the player getting hit will change those hits to either rise to supplemental discipline or result in no supplemental discipline.

That to me is just ridiculous.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
i was fine with dressing stafford.

Well, that's your first problem.

they could have called up any number of players from binghamton. guys who know how to kill penalties and forecheck and everything, the whole package. wouldn't have cost us a dime

Names?

Who pray tell on our AHL squad is a back-to-back 25 goal scorer at the NHL level, who is also regarded as an excellent penalty killer, just "the whole package"?

Who would step right in and play in big games with the entire season on the line. And why arent "any number" of them already in the NHL if they could actually do so!?!?!??

Reactions: None Shall Pass

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
That's an actual nhl video.

incredible

Well, that's your first problem.

Names?

Who pray tell on our AHL squad is a back-to-back 25 goal scorer at the NHL level, who is also regarded as an excellent penalty killer, just "the whole package"?

Who would step right in and play in big games with the entire season on the line. And why arent "any number" of them already in the NHL if they could actually do so!?!?!??

that argument was sooo 2:30

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

What a load of ****, he's got a concussion, he would have traveled with the team if it was just a shoulder injury. Consistently inconsistent as usual. Not surprising with that moron Paros running the gong show.

LOL at this video.

This video should be titled, "Damage Control".

Notice how they didnt release a video after the Doughty hit?

The reason they're releasing this video is because the talk has been EXTENSIVE, from coast to coast about HTH can you suspend Doughty & not suspend Kucherov.
Hence the creation of this video.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

What horrible reasoning. “Vatanen’s head moves with his body so there wasn’t much of a head shot”

In reality Vatanen’s head doesn’t snap forward because it’s being driven backwards in equal force by Kucherov’s shoulder. It’s Vatanen’s body that is being driven backwards while his head is also receiving force from the shoulder driving into it.

By this reasoning from the league I can head hunt as long as I make hip to hip contact also.

Reactions: Satans Hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad