Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) V - Trade Deadline Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Who has been better than Severson other than Vatenen? Greene's performance hasn't been great and part of that is absolutely that he is playing too tough competition but I really do not see an argument for anyone including him.

I don't stress as much when Moore is on the ice but now since they're playing together, it doesn't really matter.

I'd call him our 3rd best dman behind Vatanen and Moore. Take into consideration that Greene is playing heavy minutes against top line players and I think I'd put him 3rd if he was on our 2nd pairing since he's getting exposed ATM on our top unit.

Again, it's not a knock on Severson, it's just calling it like it is. The kid has the potential, he's just not there yet and that's why I'm not labelling him as a stud like several posters here are claiming he is.

The same nonsense happened with Larsson and now everyone is backpedaling because he plays for another team.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
dC1hSzX.png

Look at the massive difference between secondary assists. Vatanen is playing very well, but I'd say he's gotten quite lucky in terms of some of the points he's racking up and Severson is getting quite unlucky.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Dude, you just showed how ****ing terrible Keith was in his first half, wins be damned those are laughable numbers for an NHL goalie and you are telling people about false narratives...

892 save percentage ta loco 892....

View attachment 105287

So is this where I bring up that before his 10 start losing streak Cory was 17-6-2 with a .923 save percentage?:naughty:

Reactions: NjDevsRR

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
dC1hSzX.png

Look at the massive difference between secondary assists. Vatanen is playing very well, but I'd say he's gotten quite lucky in terms of some of the points he's racking up and Severson is getting quite unlucky.
At some point you aren't unlucky for a whole season.

Dude just look at the QoC, it's not even close lol.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
At some point you aren't unlucky for a whole season.

Dude just look at the QoC, it's not even close lol.
By that logic Vatanen's 3% shooting percentage isn't unlucky. Severson's overall even strength production has been more than fine. And yes, Vatanen is playing tougher minutes and getting worse results which is to be expected. Both are good players and playing key roles on the team.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
So is this where I bring up that before his 10 start losing streak Cory was 17-6-2 with a .923 save percentage?:naughty:
Since Jim loves using wins/losses as a defining metric then he must LOVE Nick Lappin. We are 5-0-1 with him in the lineup this year.

PUT HIM IN COACH

Edit: Feels like we have had Lappin in the system forever but he was only signed in 2016.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And no one was complaining....it wasn't an issue until he put the entire season in jepordy with 10 bad games in a row. Nobody ever celebrates being fantastic in October....at least not in hockey, maybe Cory should play baseball

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
You would have celebrated Kinkaid for putting up those numbers in the early part of the season, let’s be real. Also, if the first half is so easy then why was Kinkaid putting up a laughable save percentage and couldn’t stop a beach ball? You’re logic hurts you.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Speaking of Moore, do we think Ray will let him walk or does he give him an extension? I feel like Moore has rounded out his game nicely and does not look like a dumpster fire in his own zone anymore. Obviously he will have a dumb moment every once in a while but he has put up his most consistent season in his career. He is also one of the purest skaters in the league and probably the best skater we had on the blue line since Nieds. I would give him a three year extension, problem is what do we do with Mueller? Greene? Butcher? We definitely need to upgrade the left side but there’s a logjam of mediocrity.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
By that logic Vatanen's 3% shooting percentage isn't unlucky. Severson's overall even strength production has been more than fine. And yes, Vatanen is playing tougher minutes and getting worse results which is to be expected. Both are good players and playing key roles on the team.

No one said otherwise, it's the "Severson is elite" crap I can't stand and won't buy... yet.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You've literally repeatedly said Severson blows and multiple variations of that dozens of times, but K.

Yeah, on several nights he's been a complete train wreck and on others, he's looked real good.

The thing is that his brain damaged plays ends up costing us BIG TIME and that's why I'm not in love with him. Butcher, who's a rookie makes less mistakes then Severson and tries to carry the play up the ice just as much.

It's like Damon doesn't learn from his repeated mistakes and that's the most frustrating part of his game IMO. It's no coincidence that the staff scratched him repeatedly last year and a couple of times this year as well.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Speaking of Moore, do we think Ray will let him walk or does he give him an extension? I feel like Moore has rounded out his game nicely and does not look like a dumpster fire in his own zone anymore. Obviously he will have a dumb moment every once in a while but he has put up his most consistent season in his career. He is also one of the purest skaters in the league and probably the best skater we had on the blue line since Nieds. I would give him a three year extension, problem is what do we do with Mueller? Greene? Butcher? We definitely need to upgrade the left side but there’s a logjam of mediocrity.

I think Moore may be a guy we let walk due to a numbers game. Numbers meaning too many D signed already (the possibility of a FA pickup)and him potentially getting a bigger deal from another team that we don’t want to match.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I don't get why it has to be mutually exclusive. Both are good. I still think Severson can still improve. a lot.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Retaining Moore means icing the same left side as this year, which may not be as stagnant as it sounds if Mueller and Butcher can continue to develop and take another step next year.

Ideally, Ray figures out something to do with Greene, and we find an LHD upgrade. That may be a bit much to ask for in one offseason, so we may very well just see the same personnel.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We need a true 22+ minute a night LHD.

Greene can't be that guy anymore but I do think he could be very good 18/19 minute guy for another year.

xxx - Vatanen
Greene - Severson
Butcher - Santini

PK1
xxx - Santini
PK 2
Greene - Vatanen

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We need a true 22+ minute a night LHD.

Greene can't be that guy anymore but I do think he could be very good 18/19 minute guy for another year.

xxx - Vatanen
Greene - Severson
Butcher - Santini

PK1
xxx - Santini
PK 2
Greene - Vatanen

Ray will acquire OEL this summer or Jeremy Davies will step in and be the rookie of the year

Camille the Eel

For upgrading our defense next season we'll only be able to judge when we see what the resulting top 4 looks like. Moore is one of our top two now (for worse or for better) if we let him walk we'll have to slot in other players who result in an upgraded unit. Our Defense as a group is the big weakness of our team and we are not going anywhere, as a contender, unless we get more solid there.

And in goal. It's great the Kinkaid has been performing during the last month, but who knows what he will be in the long run. Is the current streak a climb to another plateau of play, or an anomaly at the moment? On that, Shero must wager the future of the club. Going forward we can't rely on Schneider except with someone else around whom we feel equally confident in starting 40 plus games if necessary.

Finally as to Severson, the big issue is give aways when he's the last man back, one on one, with a forward attacking him. He's insecure in those situations. Where a real first D man will simply wheel and keep the puck away from anybody who's pressuring him, Severson will panic and sometimes turn it over, almost without being forced. The issue looks to be mental as much as physical. It's actually something you can work on in the offseason. One on one possession of the puck with someone bearing down on you when you have room to skate if necessary. Drill at this from dawn to dusk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad