Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
thats a creative reply!

and to the other post

agenda against greene? lol "hot takes" and "agenda" are the two popular catch phrases around here i see

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Buying out Greene with two years left would be a bigger issue cap wise than his actual contract is now through next year, that’s why its not happening till after next year, if at all. You don’t want dead cap hits on the payroll three and four years down the road when Nico, Bratt and Butcher start making real money and presumably Hall and MarJo have new deals.

Plus people can knock his play but all they have on the left side is Moore (UFA), Mueller and Butcher. And they’re also not buying out the captain after a season the team’s overachieved to this point.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
thats a creative reply!

and to the other post

agenda against greene? lol "hot takes" and "agenda" are the two popular catch phrases around here i see

well, i would definitely agree that 'hot takes' is the new 'PMD' or whatever other buzzwords are bandied about way too frequently

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
No point in buying out Greene. Might as well see if they can retain salary and trade him instead if they want him off the team because at least that’d be a lower cap hit and he’d only be on the books for two years instead of four.

Moore has been good this season — especially with Vatanen. I don’t think it’s an absurd claim to say he’s been better than greene

Would be cool if they could acquire OEL for something built around McLeod/Santini/1st/JQ

OEL-Severson
Moore-Vatanen
Mueller-Butcher

would be some nice pairings

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Santini needs to be the one who sits when Mueller gets back. Hell, I wouldn't be upset if he takes a couple games off in lieu of Lovejoy coming out of the bye. He is not playing well at all. Some of that is usage, but a lot of it is because he is not making quick decisions with the puck. As much as I dislike Lovejoy as a player, he has been serviceable in limited action this year.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
because its a msg board and we are here to discuss things. i never thought the devils were going to be on here and listening to us. i thought this was just a fun place to discuss stuff and trade opinions. i guess you think differently?

I think he’s asking if you honestly think there’s any world in which they’d buy out the captain?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You can obviously discuss anything you want on a message board

but when you post something on a message board for all to see, you better be ready to accept criticism, especially when the post is outlandish as his was.

Reactions: Darkauron

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Buying out Greene does nothing to make us better immediately and hurts us in the long term in regards to cap.

Mueller was playing well when he got hurt but it's a huge gamble to just assume he'll be able too keep up that play, as it is to assume Moore/Butcher will play well after absorbing Greene's minutes.

Like I said earlier, I think you approach him very quietly and respectfully in the offseason and tell him that 2018-19 will be his last season as a Devil, and where he plays after that will be up to his performance in that season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Buying out Greene does nothing to make us better immediately and hurts us in the long term in regards to cap.

Mueller was playing well when he got hurt but it's a huge gamble to just assume he'll be able too keep up that play, as it is to assume Moore/Butcher will play well after absorbing Greene's minutes.

Like I said earlier, I think you approach him very quietly and respectfully in the offseason and tell him that 2018-19 will be his last season as a Devil, and where he plays after that will be up to his performance in that season.

Why would they ever do this? There is nothing to gain from this. They do not have better internal options to make Greene completely obsolete, and if they do trade for a new top LD, Moore and Mueller should be taken out of the lineup before Greene.

Plus you risk losing your locker room because you are trying to strong arm your captain off the team.

Getting rid of Greene just isn’t something we need to be doing, and there isn’t any benefit to doing it either. We are never going to have the LD depth during the life of his contract where he becomes a hinderance that is blocking someone.

Camille the Eel

I think Lovejoy will have value at the deadline and a club that wants to make a cup run would take him for a pick or a prospect, given his Stanley Cup resume.

Trouble is we need him too and maybe for that reason. He's essential depth. As I understand it we have nothing in Binghampton as to defense we can bring up. Mueller is still out. So we are one defenseman getting hurt away from the bottom of the barrel, from literally dressing six with no major league 7th hanging around. When Meuller gets back, if and when, that changes.

But a badly broken collarbone is an injury that takes a long time to heal. It's a very slender structural bone taking a lot of stress.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah there is literally nothing down in Bingo worth calling up for defense. Our depth right now is Mueller and Lovejoy.

After that it is nothing.

We have plenty of forward depth down there so keeping both Stafford and Hayes is redundant.

Lovejoy’s extra year tanks any value he would have at the deadline. No contender is going to want to take that on and give us any real value.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just try Greene out in a lower pairing role first. I’m fairly confident that he can still play at least decently, if not very effectively as a bottom pairing guy for at least another year after this.

This really needs to be his last season as our #1 or #2 defenseman though. He’ll be 36 next year and can’t be doing this again.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I am actually glad we have Lovejoy now because he is perfectly playing his current role. Good insurance to have.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Santini needs to be the one who sits when Mueller gets back. Hell, I wouldn't be upset if he takes a couple games off in lieu of Lovejoy coming out of the bye. He is not playing well at all. Some of that is usage, but a lot of it is because he is not making quick decisions with the puck. As much as I dislike Lovejoy as a player, he has been serviceable in limited action this year.
If Santini sits for Mueller, that means you have to shift Butcher back to the Right side. And that means only one of Severson and Lovejoy can be in the lineup...or leave out Butcher

Greene Vatanen
Moore Severson
Mueller Butcher, Lovejoy, Santini?

Doesn't really work. It's going to come down to Mueller or Butcher on that 3rd LHD spot I think.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Greene isn’t going anywhere so it’s silly at this point to even speculate, it’s absurd to think they’ll buy him out either.

Reactions: JK3

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No point in buying out Greene. Might as well see if they can retain salary and trade him instead if they want him off the team because at least that’d be a lower cap hit and he’d only be on the books for two years instead of four.

Moore has been good this season — especially with Vatanen. I don’t think it’s an absurd claim to say he’s been better than greene

Would be cool if they could acquire OEL for something built around McLeod/Santini/1st/JQ

OEL-Severson
Moore-Vatanen
Mueller-Butcher

would be some nice pairings
OEL -Severson would be a terrible pairing. I mean like league worst top 4 bad.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd taken Shattenkirk over OEL...and I want nothing to with Shattenkirk.
Merrill-Severson was where it's at
Considering Merrill would be our best possession defenseman today based on his numbers with Vegas, And Severson is our best possession Defenseman right now....you might be on to something.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if they buy greene out after this season his cap hit i believe is 1.3 or 1.6 million on the books for 4 years as opposed to 5 for the next 2. this team made huge strides this year and i'm going to assume they will make more strides next year. your going to have a 36 year old captain being an anchor and taking up a roster spot that we really need in a position that we desperately need. the cap will probably go up and chances are there will be a lock out in 2 years time which will probably have another round of "free" buyouts. sadly greene will be off the books by that point but we will have already went through 2 years of his declining play. or i guess we can sit him for some games and stuff like that? so you have 5 million sitting in the press box? is that helping the cap situation?

again key words that some will not focus on. i didn't say there would be a lock out and i didnt say there would be "free" buyouts that dont count against the cap. i'm just saying there probably will be. people will say well you can't base decisions now on probables and maybes. i agree an unconfirmed citizen like myself or you can't but people in the know being paid millions of dollars that do this for a living know what will and wont be discussed for these contract talks with the PA. the pa will definitely want the buyouts to be in it and i'm sure the owners will too since it allows the "rich" teams to get out of bad contracts that they signed. just MY OPINION

also let me stress i used the cap friendly site to come up with that 1.6 million not sure if i read that right

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad