Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) II - Let's Overreact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
mojo-zacha-bratt could be a very good line 2. coleman-zajac-gibbons and wood-boyle-stafford/hayes as the bottom 6 would be my preference

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
though wood and zacha have actually seemed to have developed some chemistry so i dont really know. i just hope they keep winning

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Stafford has been abysmal, which sucks because I thought he’d work out well.

He's ridiculously streaky and was always that way. He's either really hot or ice cold. As he's gotten older, it seems like the peak isn't what it was and the cold stretches are longer and longer.

I've been hoping he kicks it up at some point and singlehandedly wins us a couple games.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I shit on Severson a lot, but I liked his game this past couple of games(minus his boneheaded plays here and there)

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Just an interesting take on Vat, i had the exact same surgery almost exactly a year ago. My shoulder is still constantly in pain, and tenses up on the regular. I can never throw a baseball or football again, and when i play hockey i really can’t shoot the puck very well anymore. Granted I’m sure he put more into his rehab than i did, it can definitely still be lingering

Reactions: My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Found this pretty cool site recently, one of interesting things is it maps out the longest winning streaks each team has against an opponent and subsequently the losing streaks as well.

So just for fun, what team do you guys think the Devils currently have the longest winning streak and losing streak against?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Just an interesting take on Vat, i had the exact same surgery almost exactly a year ago. My shoulder is still constantly in pain, and tenses up on the regular. I can never throw a baseball or football again, and when i play hockey i really can’t shoot the puck very well anymore. Granted I’m sure he put more into his rehab than i did, it can definitely still be lingering

I have a feeling Vatanen is going to have a ridiculous year next year due to all of this.

If he makes an emphasis on getting a quicker first few steps as well, he'd be a very good defender.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Found this pretty cool site recently, one of interesting things is it maps out the longest winning streaks each team has against an opponent and subsequently the losing streaks as well.

So just for fun, what team do you guys think the Devils currently have the longest winning streak and losing streak against?
11 straight wins to end 05-06?

EDIT: Wait I think we had more in that late win streak in 01

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fully healthy I want

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Gibbons-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Boyle-Noesen

Greene-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Moore-Santini
Just swap Noesen with Coleman and I think I'd like this. Maybe even Wood with Gibbons.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Winning - Vancouver
Losing - Calgary

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No I meant current winning and losing streaks against other franchises.

I'm trying to think, this is a tough one. Seems like we usually beat the Flyers, but we also lose to them, maybe once, 1.5 times per year. It can't be them, as we lost to them the second to last time that we played them. We've lost 4 in a row to both the Sharks and Oilers. Probably because Pete makes sure to have them ready to play us, and T-Mac has the Oilers ready to play us, so to not further embarrass the organization over that stupid f***ing trade.

We also lost all 5 (or did we only play them 4 times?) against the Pens last year. It feels like we haven't beaten the Caps much in the last several years, but we did beat them in the shootout last year.

I feel like our longest active winning streak is against Vancouver. If it's not them, it might be some obscure team that I wouldn't have ever expected.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Winning - Vancouver
Losing - Calgary
We did just beat Calgary a couple games ago. We beat them in Calgary last year on that random January road trip where we stopped sucking for a very temporary period of time, but lost to them at home last year and lost to them up in Calgary this year.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks it's Vancouver, who we have our longest current winning streak over.

Historically, Calgary is the franchise that we have the lowest winning percentage over, or at least they were when we talked about that a couple years ago. I can't imagine that anyone else has fallen behind them in that regard.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We seem to have quite a few consecutive wins over Minnesota also. They blew us out a few years ago, but it feels like we've won every other matchup since then. It feels like we've beaten them most of the time since Parise has been there, even though he wasn't in the lineup a couple of those times.

One of the rare losses was when we were blown out there in early 2015, when we had the three coaches.

It seems like we have quite the losing streak against Winnipeg too. Even that hasn't gone on too long. We lost to them twice last year, lost to them the one time we've played them this year, but beat them the second time we played them in 15-16.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Winning - Vancouver
Losing - Calgary
We seem to have quite a few consecutive wins over Minnesota also. They blew us out a few years ago, but it feels like we've won every other matchup since then. It feels like we've beaten them most of the time since Parise has been there, even though he wasn't in the lineup a couple of those times.

One of the rare losses was when we were blown out there in early 2015, when we had the three coaches.

It seems like we have quite the losing streak against Winnipeg too. Even that hasn't gone on too long. We lost to them twice last year, lost to them the one time we've played them this year, but beat them the second time we played them in 15-16.

I'm more surprised you guys got the winning one before the losing one.

Another fun fact, the last time we beat the Sharks at home was in February of 2011.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm more surprised you guys got the winning one before the losing one.

Another fun fact, the last time we beat the Sharks at home was in February of 2011.
I didn't cheat, but I went down the list of teams in the league, just to see which one I remember us not winning over for a while, and I seriously think St. Louis is who we have our longest losing streak over.

It's GOTTA be them. Haven't beaten them in almost 4 years, so I'm sure we have like 7 or 8 losses in a row over them?

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
mojo-zacha-bratt could be a very good line 2. coleman-zajac-gibbons and wood-boyle-stafford/hayes as the bottom 6 would be my preference
Those lines seem fine to me except Noeseon should most definitely have an opportunity on the 4th line over Stafford 100%. The next spot in competition would be between Hayes and Wood IMO.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Ideally I'd like Coleman on the 4th line with Wood and Noeson and a better RW with Gibbons and Zajac, but it is fine for now I think considering how the bottom 6 or 9 has been playing lately.

Gibbons IMO is showing he may be good enough to be a 3rd line player for us for the next few seasons at the least. Seems to make good plays very often and create offense. Impressive season he is having without getting any PP time.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Stafford has been abysmal, which sucks because I thought he’d work out well.
I thought Stafford looked great during preseason and early season. He played well on the PP. I just feel he has dropped off but can still play a lot better than Hayes.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Gibbons-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Boyle-Noesen
Stafford

shoot Hayes into the sun
I honestly don’t think you need to “shoot Hayes in the sun”. Keep him as the 14th forward. If one of the bottom 6 get injured, then Hayes is fine as 4th liner. Stafford would be a stopgap replacement if one of the top 6 get injured.

Prout on the other hand has no future. Even Lovejoy maybe in trouble to keep his 7th dman spot when Mueller is back. Butcher is too valuable for power play. He is staying in the lineup. Moore has been solid this season and he is Mr Overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->