Devereaux Heshmatpour

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
What happened to him? He didnt play last season at all, despite being eligible to play.

I remember he was once considered a top prospect for the 05 Draft, then he was playing bad, was outskated by a goalie on 150 feet and there were rumours he was older than thought and has gone to college.

Is the above true?

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
All I know for certain is the i never understood why he was thought of as a prospect at all.
He can't skate- at all.
The guy has difficulty just staying on his feet let alone actually skating towards the puck.

The only reason he was ever a prospect was due to the simple fact he literally towered over everyone else on the ice. By the time he was 18 the height difference wasn't nearly so dramatic.
Heshmatpour was never particularly strong either despite his height, he's big but thin and fragile.
He was willing to play physical and lay our what big hits he could but that was basically the sum total of his game.
He had no appealing skill set to speak of, and his puckhandlings/passing skills were woeful at best.

Heshmatpour would never have been good enough to ever crack an ECHL roster, so why any NHL team would invest any time in him I never understood.

He's one of the weakest excuses ever for a "top prospect".

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
All I know for certain is the i never understood why he was thought of as a prospect at all.
He can't skate- at all.
The guy has difficulty just staying on his feet let alone actually skating towards the puck.

The only reason he was ever a prospect was due to the simple fact he literally towered over everyone else on the ice. By the time he was 18 the height difference wasn't nearly so dramatic.
Heshmatpour was never particularly strong either despite his height, he's big but thin and fragile.
He was willing to play physical and lay our what big hits he could but that was basically the sum total of his game.
He had no appealing skill set to speak of, and his puckhandlings/passing skills were woeful at best.

Heshmatpour would never have been good enough to ever crack an ECHL roster, so why any NHL team would invest any time in him I never understood.

His stats werent all that great either. Just seems weird that a prospect dubbed to be so good just SUCKS so badly in his draft year and is out of hockey 1 year after hus Draft.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
His stats werent all that great either. Just seems weird that a prospect dubbed to be so good just SUCKS so badly in his draft year and is out of hockey 1 year after hus Draft.

Some people just get carried away with numbers, I guess. They see somebody 6'7", who is eighteen years old, and decide that he can be the next Chara. They don't factor in intangibles, like weakness, inability to skate, and no particular hockey skill whatsoever.

Here's a comparison that may help illustrate the difference between NHL scouts and people who fancy themselves as scouts: some people projected that Nigel Williams would go in the top 10 in this year's draft. I think The Hockey News had him in the top 30. I forget where he went, but it was something like the third round.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Some people just get carried away with numbers, I guess. They see somebody 6'7", who is eighteen years old, and decide that he can be the next Chara. They don't factor in intangibles, like weakness, inability to skate, and no particular hockey skill whatsoever.

Here's a comparison that may help illustrate the difference between NHL scouts and people who fancy themselves as scouts: some people projected that Nigel Williams would go in the top 10 in this year's draft. I think The Hockey News had him in the top 30. I forget where he went, but it was something like the third round.
2nd rnd

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
He can't skate- at all.

I heard he was strong, being over to bench press around 320 in his draft year, but other than that I hear he was godawful. I can't even seem him being a Junior player, or even how he was rated. I hear he could barely skate.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004

He went around 53 to the Avs.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I remember him playing for the Kitchener Ranger in the OHL. I'd heard of his name before and saw how big he was at the time 6'5" 230lbs. but after seeing him play I wondered what the big deal was with him. Its true he was a woeful skater, and was as slow as molasses. I'll admit he could drop the gloves pretty good but other than that he was useless.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Part of the problem was Hesh was rumoured to be older than stated. I guess he suffered from Richard Park syndrome. I think he's playing in a men's over 30 league now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->