Devan Dubnyk

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
what are your opinions on him?
mine: he is completely overrated and every game ive watched him play he has **** the bed (including the top prospects game he played in when it came to london, and most recently being todays loss in the spengler cup). personally, i dont think hell ever be a started in the Nhl....what are your thoughts?

Leeroy Jenkins

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
mine: he is completely overrated and every game ive watched him play he has **** the bed (including the top prospects game he played in when it came to london, and most recently being todays loss in the spengler cup). personally, i dont think hell ever be a started in the Nhl....what are your thoughts?
Was he the starter in todays game, or did he come in relief of Pogge?

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Ouch... a little harsh?

While I think he was a stretch at the 14th overall pick ( IMO if he's 5 or 6 inches shorter, he's a later round pick). I also don't think he's terrible. He doesn't have the pure talent of other blue chip goalie prospects, but he's got incredible size and is very technically sound. Like most young goalies... if he gets used to the pro game and can get good coaching, then there's no telling what can happen.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton

Know what the hell your talking about in today's game. I watched it and he really didnt have a chance on any of them as Canada played like garbage in front of him, its not always the goalies fault. I dont know how Dubnyk will turn out but to say he suspect is way off. It sometimes takes goalies awhile to develop as well.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Ouch... a little harsh?

While I think he was a stretch at the 14th overall pick ( IMO if he's 5 or 6 inches shorter, he's a later round pick). I also don't think he's terrible. He doesn't have the pure talent of other blue chip goalie prospects, but he's got incredible size and is very technically sound. Like most young goalies... if he gets used to the pro game and can get good coaching, then there's no telling what can happen.

See also: JS Giguere. He has size, he wasn't very good until he met up with a great coach. I wouldn't count Dubnyk out just yet, I think he could turn into a strong NHLer, and the Oilers seem to be patient with him; which can only help his development.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Wayyyyy too premature to write off a 20 year old first year pro playing the game's most challenging position.

Dubnyk has been enjoying a very solid rookie year in Stockton. Becoming a fan favorite thanks to his performance in winning games.

Let's revisit this discussion in four years.

Danglefish

Oct 26, 2006
This is a little early to be jumping on the kid, especially after having a very solid start to the season in Stockton. The game today wasn't Duby's fault at all, two of the goals against him he had no shot at, and even when he should have saved the other one you can't blame a guy when the team in front of him plays as bad as they did, they left him flapping in the breeze. Duby has size, and very good technical skills, he just needs to develop his basic puck-stopping skills and I think he could be a solid starter in the NHL. He's only like 20 years old, give him some time before you jump all over him.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I'm very happy with Dubnyk's development so far as an Oilers fan. He was absolutely stellar in training camp (he was probably the best goaltender in camp based on his performance in the pre-season) and he's followed that up with a solid start to the year in the ECHL (as the Oilers don't have an AHL team to stick him on). He's definitely still a bit of a project at this point but I see no reason why he can't develop into a Sean Burke type of starting goaltender.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Yes I think the guy is definitly overrated but hes going from the ECHL to facing the best teams in Europe. As mentioned the guy is only 20 years old. I see him as an NHL goalie who has to play in a 1a 1b goalie situation if you know what I mean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad