Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Guys we are building the Jets, that is my opinion of what they are going for. They have a ton of talent though, but I think they are going for that impossibly big team that still skates well and plays a dominating physical hockey brand.

We are going to be a bully kind of team, think Bash brother era Detroit before the glory years. I am not sure how it will go, we need the skill too, but they are not going to be fun to play against pretty soon in this process, they are going to be big and physical up front more than likely.
Not a bad way to build a team, as long as you're drafting players who are big and skilled, and not just big (Adams and Webb).

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not a bad way to build a team, as long as you're drafting players who are big and skilled, and not just big (Adams and Webb).

I dont think 6th round picks are any way to build a team at all. Youre chucking darts hoping they land, youre not getting a big AND skilled guy in the 6th. In the first you can with guys like Mantha and Rasmussen though which is what theyve been doing

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I dont think 6th round picks are any way to build a team at all. Youre chucking darts hoping they land, youre not getting a big AND skilled guy in the 6th. In the first you can with guys like Mantha and Rasmussen though which is what theyve been doing
I do agree that we need a top 3 pick eventually, I was talking style wise. Building your team around guys like Wheeler, Scheifele, and Laine is great because they can play the physical game while still being just as skilled as any of their peers. I'm not going to get picky about the style of talent we get though, I just want elite players in whatever form they come!

Reactions: newfy

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If the Wings don't sign him, they are stupid.

Unless he doesn't want to sign with them. If thats the case, deal his rights.

Who is going to trade for his rights? He is going to be a UFA in August. I think he is smart to talk to a number of teams at this point before making a decision.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Who is going to trade for his rights? He is going to be a UFA in August. I think he is smart to talk to a number of teams at this point before making a decision.
Yes, sadly all we can do is hope he sees opportunities for himself here. Which if he's smart he should. We're looking to rebuild at last, are pathologically loyal to our own prospects, and actually don't have that many wingers in the pipeline despite that kids on the roster.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
People eat up these myths about Cleary, don't they?

All this talk about Cleary being a big influence on Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi's uncle was a STAR in the NHL. I don't care what the Red Wings PR hacks and their fluffers writes, Bertuzzi's family experience was 100x more important than Cleary helping the kid.

That's just some ****ing bull**** reporters write about on a slow news day because Cleary is always willing to get his name in the paper.
Or, heaven forfend, both his family and Cleary have been very supportive since he turned pro. It isn't a binary choice

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The guy was a head case whose career was in the drain and then just worked his bag off and got his head on straight to keep it alive (and became the first newfie to win the stanley cup). Hes the exact person you want mentoring young players.

He was awful at hockey for 2 or 3 years and still stuck with the team, then got into the front office. You think theres no reason for that happening?Or maybe he is actually a hard worker and great mentor for the young guys

Keep on drinking Kenny's Kool Aid Bro

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yes, sadly all we can do is hope he sees opportunities for himself here. Which if he's smart he should. We're looking to rebuild at last, are pathologically loyal to our own prospects, and actually don't have that many wingers in the pipeline despite that kids on the roster.

He's 23, I think he's going to be looking at who the wings sign/re-sign this summer and who they draft. If Holland re-signs everyone to 3+ year deals, we draft a forward instead of a D, we don't trade anyone...our forward group begins to get a little congested - especially if we continue to pick high and maybe add some more high end forwards after this one.

If we do grab a D in the draft, we trade Nyquist or Athanasiou, etc., the wings become a lot easier club to either make in camp or be one of the first call-ups.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Keep on drinking Kenny's Kool Aid Bro

What did I say that wasnt true?

You cant say one thing positive about the organisation even if there is something good happening. I'm not drinking the kool aid, I'm just a realist. I'll call Ken Holland out when he does dumb shit but I can also say that Dan Cleary was a very hard worker and a good leader late in his career. MOD (paraphrase Negative attitude) since you started posting on here lol, I bet you didnt mind Cleary when he was scoring in games 7s or taking beatings from Pronger infront of the net letting the skilled guys score on deep playoff runs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What did I say that wasnt true?

You cant say one thing positive about the organisation even if there is something good happening. I'm not drinking the kool aid, I'm just a realist. I'll call Ken Holland out when he does dumb **** but I can also say that Dan Cleary was a very hard worker and a good leader late in his career. MOD (paraphrase Negative attitude) since you started posting on here lol, I bet you didnt mind Cleary when he was scoring in games 7s or taking beatings from Pronger infront of the net letting the skilled guys score on deep playoff runs.

I never wanted cleary on this team since the day he signed his 5 year contract.
It was the beginning of the end for Ken Holland in the cap era.

It was Cleary's contract that ultimately forced the Franzen vs Hossa choice.
It was best to let Cleary walk and go out and sign Eaves or whoever and let them play cheap until they priced themselves out of Detroit as run-of-the-mill talent overproducing on a top lines.

But some people never learn.
They don't understand the differeence between a guy who scores 16 goals playing on line 3 and a guy who scores 16 goals playing next to the best passers on the team.

But that's beside the point.

I stand by my original point that Cleary is f*** all as a leader. Dime a dozen.
If it's not Cleary, it's Abdelkader. If it's not Abdelkader, it's Helm. If it's not Helm, its Glendening. If it's not Glendening, it's Kronwall. If it's not Kronwall, it;s Daley. Etc. Etc. Etc.

You could right these stupid f***ing puff piece articles about any f***ing veteran on a slow news day.

You know why Bertuzzi is good? Because he's got some natural ability, a decent hockey IQ and because he works hard. And because he played a ton on the top line.
Bertuzzi was horse shit on line 4.
Ken Daniels wants to puff up his buddy Dan Cleary, great.
Just don't ask me to believe it. I know PR when I see it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
You know why Bertuzzi is good? Because he's got some natural ability, a decent hockey IQ and because he works hard. And because he played a ton on the top line.
Bertuzzi was horse **** on line 4.

Wait...I thought it was because of his uncle?

Come to think of it, a good percentage of hockey players have distant relatives that played hockey at a high level. Why have coaches at all?

Reactions: Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Wait...I thought it was because of his uncle?

Come to think of it, a good percentage of hockey players have distant relatives that played hockey at a high level. Why have coaches at all?
No, it was a media driven narrative because Dan Cleary himself wanted his name out there more. Also Dan Cleary couldn't have been an influence on him because his uncle was a good nhler.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
No, it was a media driven narrative because Dan Cleary himself wanted his name out there more.

For someone who wants his name in the media all the time I haven't seen much written or spoken about him for a while now.

Also Dan Cleary couldn't have been an influence on him because his uncle was a good nhler.

You mean to tell me you've never had anyone outside is your family have an influence on you? No on at all?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
For someone who wants his name in the media all the time I haven't seen much written or spoken about him for a while now.

You mean to tell me you've never had anyone outside is your family have an influence on you? No on at all?
I was trying to reference the same post he was referencing.

Redder Winger said:
People eat up these myths about Cleary, don't they?

All this talk about Cleary being a big influence on Bertuzzi. Bertuzzi's uncle was a STAR in the NHL. I don't care what the Red Wings PR hacks and their fluffers writes, Bertuzzi's family experience was 100x more important than Cleary helping the kid.

That's just some ****ing bull**** reporters write about on a slow news day because Cleary is always willing to get his name in the paper.

I'm sick of unsubstantiated nonsense that is in posts like that.

Tyler Bertuzzi is the one who talked about Dan Cleary's influence on Tyler Bertuzzi. Not Ken Daniels, not Ken Holland, not Helene St. James... Tyler Bertuzzi.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

It was best to let Cleary walk and go out and sign Eaves or whoever and let them play cheap until they priced themselves out of Detroit as run-of-the-mill talent overproducing on a top lines.

They don't understand the differeence between a guy who scores 16 goals playing on line 3 and a guy who scores 16 goals playing next to the best passers on the team.

I stand by my original point that Cleary is **** all as a leader. Dime a dozen.
If it's not Cleary, it's Abdelkader. If it's not Abdelkader, it's Helm. If it's not Helm, its Glendening. If it's not Glendening, it's Kronwall. If it's not Kronwall, it;s Daley. Etc. Etc. Etc.

You could right these stupid ****ing puff piece articles about any ****ing veteran on a slow news day.

Go read Taylor Halls quotes about what it was like in Edmonton with no older players or leaders there. You can choose to believe that a guy like Dan Cleary who was basically out of the NHL but worked his bag off, changed his game and eventually made it doesnt have any impact on helping younger players at all, but I think youll be in the minority. As for the contract stuff, you could easily say that any of the good players on those teams are the reason the wings chose between Mule or Hossa. In reality, Holland chose to sign Hudler, Franzen and Samuelsson instead of Hossa so what youre saying isnt true. 2.8 million to Dan Cleary didnt kill the wings cap structure

You know why Taylor Hall is good? Because he has a tonne of skill. You know why hes much better in Jersey than Edmonton? He has a coach that holds him accountable and more vets around him. Hall has come out and said that. Bertuzzi comes right out and says stuff about Cleary and youre quick to say its all BS.

I guess we should all take your word over Bertuzzis on how much of an impact Cleary has had on Bertuzzis career. I mean, you must know better than Bertuzzi on why hes a good player and he doesnt even realize that when he talks in interviews it all just PR fluff pieces!

Reactions: Oddbob

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Go read Taylor Halls quotes about what it was like in Edmonton with no older players or leaders there. You can choose to believe that a guy like Dan Cleary who was basically out of the NHL but worked his bag off, changed his game and eventually made it doesnt have any impact on helping younger players at all, but I think youll be in the minority. As for the contract stuff, you could easily say that any of the good players on those teams are the reason the wings chose between Mule or Hossa. In reality, Holland chose to sign Hudler, Franzen and Samuelsson instead of Hossa so what youre saying isnt true. 2.8 million to Dan Cleary didnt kill the wings cap structure

What was killer is that two of those three left that offseason anyway. I think what Holland offered Hossa is what he had budgeted for the other two if Hossa walked. If Holland had actually been able to keep all three of those guys, I think we make at least another couple of deep playoff runs.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

I stand by my original point that Cleary is **** all as a leader. Dime a dozen.

You could right these stupid ****ing puff piece articles about any ****ing veteran on a slow news day.

I agree.
This league is obsessed with guys who work hard and are average. Their still respectable players, and I wouldn't mind them on my team, but the problem is when they're over-payed and overrated. Like you said put Glendening with the a good playmaker for a season and he puts up 30 points. Put Bertuzzi on the 4th line and he puts up Glendening numbers.
I'm not getting into the leadership debate though, just wanted to make this point that's been on my mind.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I agree.
This league is obsessed with guys who work hard and are average. Their still respectable players, and I wouldn't mind them on my team, but the problem is when they're over-payed and overrated. Like you said put Glendening with the a good playmaker for a season and he puts up 30 points. Put Bertuzzi on the 4th line and he puts up Glendening numbers.
I'm not getting into the leadership debate though, just wanted to make this point that's been on my mind.

Yeah this is true except Dan Cleary was actually a good hockey player and a legit top 6 player. He did what Glendening does except scored 20 goals a year and a 40+ points. When he was at his best he was decently physical as well which Glendening seems to have lost for some reason. Cleary was also a playoff guy who always stepped it up and came up big when it mattered.

2.8 million for 26 goals and 46 points in 68 games (a 31 goal and 56 point pace) is not a bad deal and its definitely not the numbers of someone you compare to Luke Glendening. No one would be talking about this if Cleary didnt stay around too long, he was absolutely loved during the duration of that contract, no one complained about him and he was a legit top 6 player. Its revisionist history to say it was a bad contract.

Reactions: Oddbob

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Yeah this is true except Dan Cleary was actually a good hockey player and a legit top 6 player. He did what Glendening does except scored 20 goals a year and a 40+ points. When he was at his best he was decently physical as well which Glendening seems to have lost for some reason. Cleary was also a playoff guy who always stepped it up and came up big when it mattered.

2.8 million for 26 goals and 46 points in 68 games (a 31 goal and 56 point pace) is not a bad deal and its definitely not the numbers of someone you compare to Luke Glendening. No one would be talking about this if Cleary didnt stay around too long, he was absolutely loved during the duration of that contract, no one complained about him and he was a legit top 6 player. Its revisionist history to say it was a bad contract.
I wasn't specifically referring to Cleary when I mentioned bad contracts. That contract was solid.
And boy does it suck Glendening lost his physical edge. Him being an aggitator was awesome earlier in his career, now he's just a boring cookie cutter fringe nhler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->