Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Gilmour with another goals in yesterday win over Mississauga. Good weekend, with 3 goals in two games.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
"Beauty" assist by Raz
I'm glad he's doing more passing. He certainly needs to improve that part of his game. I don't think the problem is with his ability to pass, but more his willingness to do it. So showing he's thinking pass sometimes is good.

That said, I didn't really like that "beauty" assist. That's just a super risky pass to make, and most of the time that's going to lose you possession, even in the WHL. When you're in the corner like that, there are like 3 or 4 opposition players who can intercept that pass if they're paying even the slightest amount of attention, and then you've lost possession. And to boot, you're below the goal line, so you're probably not going to be there to defend the opposition rush you just created, so it could be an odd man rush. That's the kind of play that Mike Babcock benches you for.

I thought his second assist was a lot better. It was a situation where he could have carried the puck to the net or shot, and he read the play, recognized his linemate was open, and decided to pass instead. He had a nice pass on his goal, too. Again, showing more willingness to work with the puck rather than just going to stand in front of the net.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm glad he's doing more passing. He certainly needs to improve that part of his game. I don't think the problem is with his ability to pass, but more his willingness to do it. So showing he's thinking pass sometimes is good.

That said, I didn't really like that "beauty" assist. That's just a super risky pass to make, and most of the time that's going to lose you possession, even in the WHL. When you're in the corner like that, there are like 3 or 4 opposition players who can intercept that pass if they're paying even the slightest amount of attention, and then you've lost possession. And to boot, you're below the goal line, so you're probably not going to be there to defend the opposition rush you just created, so it could be an odd man rush. That's the kind of play that Mike Babcock benches you for.

I thought his second assist was a lot better. It was a situation where he could have carried the puck to the net or shot, and he read the play, recognized his linemate was open, and decided to pass instead. He had a nice pass on his goal, too. Again, showing more willingness to work with the puck rather than just going to stand in front of the net.

Backhand touch pass to the center of the ice was a nice play. Good playmakers make passes that seem like low % plays possible. I want him to try and make those plays, even if he fails. That's good stuff and what I want to see him do.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Backhand touch pass to the center of the ice was a nice play. Good playmakers make passes that seem like low % plays possible. I want him to try and make those plays, even if he fails. That's good stuff and what I want to see him do.
Datsyuk said the only problem he saw with the NHL was that teams played a too tight system that stifles creativity and he was glad that the DRW let him play his style.
I loved the pass between all the defenders to the stick of his teammate. If you don't try difficult passes, you'll never make 1

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Sulak played his first game in Finland today. 1 assist, 5 shots, 21:07 ice time and some very positive comments from a bunch of Pelicans fans.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ras and more so Cholo are off to slowish starts. I was hoping Ras would be leading the WHL in PPG being a D+1 and a top ten pick and Cholo should be top 3 D scoring being D+2.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Looking st WHL scoring how did that Steenbergen kid go 5th round?

Secondly, the Rasmussen point totals don't have me too worried, Rasmussen wasn't brought in to put up 90 points a season, in a draft like last year at our pick out side Vilardi there isn't many high end, high skill 70 to 80 point players in their without getting extremely lucky. They decided Rasmussen had the best chance of being a top 6, and 50 to 60 point player, that will be a physical force to go with a guy like Mantha. They have even come out and said that last draft, one that wasn't deep on skilled forwards was drafting size and defenseman and they did just that, they also have said this next draft is going to be more geared towards skill since it's a draft with a lot more skill within it.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Arent they both on bottom level teams? Hard to rack up points when its a struggle for the entire team.

Eh, that doesn't really hold water though. First their teams aren't at the top but they aren't the bottom either. Second stars will shine in the CHL. Just like in the NHL, your team can be bottom of the conference and individuals will still be good (Crosby and Ovie when they joined the league scored buckets of points and their teams were still the bottom two in the east).

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Ras and more so Cholo are off to slowish starts. I was hoping Ras would be leading the WHL in PPG being a D+1 and a top ten pick and Cholo should be top 3 D scoring being D+2.
Both are scoring fine imo considering the type of prospects they are. Looking at the d-men scoring more than Cholo it's mostly a list of guys that are either undrafted with low% chance of ever making the NHL or pure offensive d-men. Cholo is a two-way guy that plays a very mature game. Same with Rasmussen really. Both have a chance to transition straight into the NHL as early as next season while a lot of the guys scoring at a higher rate will either never make the show or take years and years to round out their game to a professional level.

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Both are scoring fine imo considering the type of prospects they are. Looking at the d-men scoring more than Cholo it's mostly a list of guys that are either undrafted with low% chance of ever making the NHL or pure offensive d-men. Cholo is a two-way guy that plays a very mature game. Same with Rasmussen really. Both have a chance to transition straight into the NHL as early as next season while a lot of the guys scoring at a higher rate will either never make the show or take years and years to round out their game to a professional level.

And I expect that top prospects to be able to come into a league with a lot of undrafted, or late draft picks and do great in their +1 and +2 years. Ras because he should be able to just through size, and if Cholo is mature he should be able to see the game better.

I also expect things to get better as the season goes on, but I hope that Ras can get to the 1.5-2.0 ppg and Cholo to be putting up 1.25-1.5.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
If cholowski can hold this point pace and be reliable defensively, playing both PK and PP I don't see how anyone can complain. With his point pace right now he's in the top-10 in d-scoring while probably being better than all of the other's in the top-10 defensively.

He was always seen as a bit of a project so I'm not worried yet.

Reactions: Leronziia

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I also expect things to get better as the season goes on, but I hope that Ras can get to the 1.5-2.0 ppg and Cholo to be putting up 1.25-1.5.
Considering neither Rasmussen or Cholowski are really elite offensive prospects, those numbers don't sound realistic... Might want to take a look at past seasons to see what others have achieved, not many guys it those ppg ranges.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And I expect that top prospects to be able to come into a league with a lot of undrafted, or late draft picks and do great in their +1 and +2 years. Ras because he should be able to just through size, and if Cholo is mature he should be able to see the game better.

There are 3 defenseman taken in the first 2 rounds of the '16 draft playing in the WHL. That's probably the best barometer to use.

Clague (#51): 17 pts in 8 games < wanted him at #20... no clue how he dropped to #51
Cholowski (#20): 9 pts in 8 games
Bean (#13): 4 pts in 6 games

So Cholo is at least out-producing Bean, who is actually a pure offensive D man. Have to think he is making a strong case to take his Team Canada spot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Both are scoring fine imo considering the type of prospects they are. Looking at the d-men scoring more than Cholo it's mostly a list of guys that are either undrafted with low% chance of ever making the NHL or pure offensive d-men. .

Not really true. And also not really sure Cholo is some 2 way beast. At least not yet.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
There are 3 defenseman taken in the first 2 rounds of the '16 draft playing in the WHL. That's probably the best barometer to use.

Clague (#51): 17 pts in 8 games < wanted him at #20... no clue how he dropped to #51
Cholowski (#20): 9 pts in 8 games
Bean (#13): 4 pts in 6 games

So Cholo is at least out-producing Bean, who is actually a pure offensive D man. Have to think he is making a strong case to take his Team Canada spot.

I can't dispute your point on CHL production, but I did think that Cholo looked much, much better in Wings preseason action than Clague did for the Kings (at least in limited viewings).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can't dispute your point on CHL production, but I did think that Cholo looked much, much better in Wings preseason action than Clague did for the Kings (at least in limited viewings).

Didn't get the chance to see him in pre-season, I'll take your word for it :) Though Clague looked really good for Canada at the WJC-20, that was the last time I saw him play probably.

Cholo is on the up and up. Also important to note that Brandon (Clague's team) has scored 50 goals, while Prince George (Cholo's team) has only scores 31 goals.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I can get a little frustration with Ras' goal total so far, but I mean going into last night he was a 1.5 PPG player. He hasn't lit the world on fire but he can still have a really great statistical season.

Cholo doesn't deserve any hate for his production, dude is producing about as well as we could possibly hope for, really making his draft position evident this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad