Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Thread 2017-18 I

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
[QUOTE="Redder Winger, post: 138916997, member: 285959"I think you're wrong.
I had several guys ahead of Rasmussen.[/QUOTE]
Which NHL team do you do professional scouting for?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And say what you what about Holland, but his WHL record isn't so ****ing hot.

Legit NHLers
Helm

Minor NHL careers
Meech

Still has time
Dom Turgeon - Looks like a 4th liner at best

Busts
Wheaton
McNulty
Tvrdon
Nedomlel
Macek
Ferraro
Callahan
May
Stamler
Covington
Koopmans
Pannoni
Hobday
Goetzinger
Pietilainen

Since 1998
19 picks
1 NHLer - Darren Helm
1 borderline guy - Meech

Now we've got a couple more prospects in Rasmussen and Zablocki.

Might want to re-consider what you define as a 'bust'.

Only guy on that 'bust' list picked in the first 2 rounds was Landon Ferraro. So maybe you could somewhat consider him a bust. Everyone else was a late round flier.

Also, I believe at least 50% of the scouting staff has been turned over the last 5-6 years, including a new ADS that is Western Canada based.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Might want to re-consider what you define as a 'bust'.

Only guy on that 'bust' list picked in the first 2 rounds was Landon Ferraro. So maybe you could somewhat consider him a bust. Everyone else was a late round flier.

Also, I believe at least 50% of the scouting staff has been turned over the last 5-6 years, including a new ADS that is Western Canada based.

If you're going to credit a guy for a Helm and a Meech you can't ignore all the guys who didn't make it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you're going to credit a guy for a Helm and a Meech you can't ignore all the guys who didn't make it.

I didn't. The reason we have few players on the roster from the WHL is we have spent few top 60 picks on WHL players until recently. You can't say we draft poorly from there when we are primarily taking players in rounds 5, 6, and 7. You won't hit on players from any league/country when you are doing that.

I wish someone would sticky the draft odds I post here frequently... :damnpc:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
As for your point about no elite talents outside the top 3.
Zach Werenski - 8
Ivan Provorov - 7
Brock Boeser -23
Matthew Barzal - 16
Pastrnak -25
Nylander - 8
Monahan - 6
Forsberg - 11
Kucherov - 58
Scheifele - 7
Gaurdreau - 104
and on and on and on

So you list a bunch of guys from several drafts, none of which were Rasmussens draft which was largely said to be a bad draft by almost everyone. And on top of that, you have a very liberal definition of elite talent. If thats your definition of elite than the wings have recently drafted 2 elite forwards at 15 or lower in the last 5 years and you shouldnt be questioing Detroits scouting. Obviously some of those guys are elite and taken out of the top 3 but theyre the exceptions not the rule.

And on top of that theres literally no way for you to know if Rasmussen doesnt turn out to be that level of player yet. At 9, in that draft, there is literally nothing so far that Rasmussen has doen to think he was a bad pick at that draft.

As for the Sheahan thing. It took Sheahan his entire draft year + 2 more years to reach Rasmussens goal total as a 16 year old in the WHL. To reach Rasmussens draft year total, it took Sheahan 4 years to reach. It took Sheahan 7 years to reach the total goals scored by Rasmussen in the WHL to this point. SO his 16 year old season, draft year and 1/5th of a season. Different leagues and all that but to even come close to comparing their upside is ridiculous at this point

Reactions: Oddbob

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So you list a bunch of guys from several drafts, none of which were Rasmussens draft which was largely said to be a bad draft by almost everyone. And on top of that, you have a very liberal definition of elite talent. If thats your definition of elite than the wings have recently drafted 2 elite forwards at 15 or lower in the last 5 years and you shouldnt be questioing Detroits scouting. Obviously some of those guys are elite and taken out of the top 3 but theyre the exceptions not the rule.

And on top of that theres literally no way for you to know if Rasmussen doesnt turn out to be that level of player yet. At 9, in that draft, there is literally nothing so far that Rasmussen has doen to think he was a bad pick at that draft.

As for the Sheahan thing. It took Sheahan his entire draft year + 2 more years to reach Rasmussens goal total as a 16 year old in the WHL. To reach Rasmussens draft year total, it took Sheahan 4 years to reach. It took Sheahan 7 years to reach the total goals scored by Rasmussen in the WHL to this point. SO his 16 year old season, draft year and 1/5th of a season. Different leagues and all that but to even come close to comparing their upside is ridiculous at this point

Rasmussen is a superior prospect to Sheahan, not even sure what we are discussing with that, but you can't compare WHL goal totals with NCAA goal totals... for a number of reasons.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Rasmussen is a superior prospect to Sheahan, not even sure what we are discussing with that, but you can't compare WHL goal totals with NCAA goal totals... for a number of reasons.

I said that its different leagues and everything but those numbers are saying something about each players abilities to score goals. If one guys 16 year old+draft year seasons are pretty much comparable to the other's 7 years of hockey its pretty telling of something, regardless of if the leagues scoring is slightly different

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I said that its different leagues and everything but those numbers are saying something about each players abilities to score goals. If one guys 16 year old+draft year seasons are pretty much comparable to the other's 7 years of hockey its pretty telling of something, regardless of if the leagues scoring is slightly different

It's not slightly different. It's massively different.

For one, the average age of the player in NCAA is significantly higher than in the WHL. For two, they play 30-40 game seasons in NCAA vs 72 game seasons in the WHL. For three, the WHL is much higher scoring than the NCAA.

For reference - Last year 5 players in the WHL cracked 50 goals. The leading scorer in NCAA had 31 goals.

Cant compare it 1:1.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Why are we talking about Sheahan like he was meant to be a goalscorer? He was never a goalscorer at any level. The book on him was always two-way guy with hockey sense and some playmaking upside (which never really came to fruition).

We're talking about Sheahan because one of the guys in here crying the most about Rasmussen started comparing their games. Youre making my point, he was never meant to be a goal scorer so why try to compare them? The book on Rasmussen was the same in the sense that he brings everything Sheahan was supposed to have, with high goal scoring upside, more size and a better skater.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if you stuck Rasmussen in the NHL right now, and he was a better player than Sheahan was the last 2 years for Detroit. Might not happen, but I wouldnt be surprised either

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Even though Petruzzelli is in his first NCAA season (and still 18yo), am I the only one who is a little bit concerned by his stats and lack of playing time? He was my favourite pick from the 2017 draft.

It's been a bummer so far, I really liked that pick. I wanted to chalk it up to the fact that they play a lot of top 20 teams, but their other goalie seems to be faring much better. Goalie development can be erratic, so we will see. Hopefully he gets back on track.

Still surprised we didn't draft Keith Primeau's son, he is having a very good season for Northeastern so far in net.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Searched DU Hockey after seeing that and this was on their twitter from the other night

Thought I'd share, no clue who he is.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Sadly I don't see cholo on Canada unless it's at a 7 but hope I'm wrong

Fabbro - Mete
Maker - Foote
Clague - Bean
Cholo

Is my guess but could be completely wrong.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Danish D-man Malte Setkov (6'6"/196 lbs), drafted as no. 100, 2017, has signed a 2 year professional contract with the SHL team Malmö Redhawks.

Link

Quick translation from article: Malte is a giant talent that has grown a lot over the years in our junior team. He has taken great steps forward this season as well, and has also received A-Team routine through playing in Pantern (Allsvenskan). We see great potential in him and believe he can be a top defense-man in the SHL over time, "says Malmö Redhawks sports director Patrik Sylvegård.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad