Prospect Info: Detroit Red Wings Prospect Talk 2018-19: The Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I was at the game tonight. Veleno had a monster night and looked cool as the other side of the pillow while doing it. Canada, in general, looked more poised. It was a realgud team effort all around but Veleno was the straw stirring the drink. I was pretty bummed McIsaac wasn't playing.

As an aside, Cole Caufield was great to watch for the US. I never had any interest in him but he made me a fan tonight. The little dude really makes things happen on the ice. He was by far the standout player for the U.S. squad.

Back around 04-05, Nathan Gerbe constantly looked better than the best USNTDP players.
I wonder where a guy like Gerbe would get drafted in today's day and age.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Back around 04-05, Nathan Gerbe constantly looked better than the best USNTDP players.

I didnt watch any back then but I find it highly unbelievable that Nathan Gerbe constantly looked better than guys like Kane and Kessel. That wasnt exactly the 80s whena guy his size wouldnt get looked at. Kane went first overall in that draft

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I don't know about constantly, but he came on strong his last 2 years at BC. Prior to that he put up pretty bland number with the U18 team and his 1st WJC was a dud but his 2nd was respectable. He came into the spotlight in '08 when BC ran through everyone like a buzzsaw in the playoffs. Before that he wasn't really on anyone's radar.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't know about constantly, but he came on strong his last 2 years at BC. Prior to that he put up pretty bland number with the U18 team and his 1st WJC was a dud but his 2nd was respectable. He came into the spotlight in '08 when BC ran through everyone like a buzzsaw in the playoffs. Before that he wasn't really on anyone's radar.
I was at a U18 4-nations tournament when he was in Ann Arbor at the USNTDP. He was ridiculous.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I didnt watch any back then but I find it highly unbelievable that Nathan Gerbe constantly looked better than guys like Kane and Kessel. That wasnt exactly the 80s whena guy his size wouldnt get looked at. Kane went first overall in that draft
This was 2005.
The "new NHL" didn't exist yet. The new rules hadn't come into play yet. Guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg were still regular season guys who didn't get it done in the playoffs.
Big, slow skilled forwards were still a pretty big deal.
Gerbe wasn't 5'10, either. He was 5'4 or 5'5.
Also, in his draft year, he went 4-4-8 in 6 games at the U-18s. Not bad. 2nd on team USA. 2nd in the tournament.

The weird thing is... if you look at all the forwards from his team who were drafted ahead of him...
Gerbe - 142nd overall - 398 games 138 points
Skille - 7th overall - 368 games 84 points
Stoa = 34th overall - 40 games 7 points
Bailey - 63rd overall - 0 games 0 points
Mercier - 168th overall - 9 games 2 points

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nice read, I would point out Regula played an awful lot of net front on the PP last year. I don't remember him being taken off as described, quite the opposite I remember him being on PP1 as the net front guy later in the year... I mean maybe I have that wrong but I did watch the odd Knights game. I would prefer he develop the back-end aspects of it, but I do wonder how that impacts his projections for this season, he also might be in that role again for all I know, he is actually surprisingly good at it and has pretty soft hands around the net.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Nice read, I would point out Regula played an awful lot of net front on the PP last year. I don't remember him being taken off as described, quite the opposite I remember him being on PP1 as the net front guy later in the year... I mean maybe I have that wrong but I did watch the odd Knights game. I would prefer he develop the back-end aspects of it, but I do wonder how that impacts his projections for this season, he also might be in that role again for all I know, he is actually surprisingly good at it and has pretty soft hands around the net.

This is one hundred percent correct. Was simply poorly worded on my part. I meant that he saw little time running the point on the powerplay to improve his decision making back there, post Keane deal. And not necessarily that he saw less powerplay time overall.

Around February and into the playoffs, the Knights began to roll 3 defenders on their PP1. Boqvist and Bouchard on the point. Regula near the net. And Formenton and Hancock running the half wall.

As mentioned, Regula did a decent job in that role. But for you guys sake (and his development), I'm hoping that the Knights opt to use him as a quarterback next year instead.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hoping McIsaac can return from his injury in time for the WJC. Pronman projected Canada's roster for the WJC, and had Veleno as the #1C and McIsaac as the #1 LD. Would be fun to watch both of them in big roles for Canada.

I think McIsaac will be back. The left side D projected for Canada this year is probably the weakest spot on the team so even if he comes back kinda late I think theyll still risk it and take him since hes a returnee. Veleno, Dach and Lafreniere will probably be the best line in the tourney if Hughes doesnt come back

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
Hoping McIsaac can return from his injury in time for the WJC. Pronman projected Canada's roster for the WJC, and had Veleno as the #1C and McIsaac as the #1 LD. Would be fun to watch both of them in big roles for Canada.

He just did a interview recently stating his recovery is going well, isn’t rushing anything but has a goal of returning to action at the end of November so he can make the Team Canada roster.

Hopefully he does take his time with recovery, shoulder injuries are no joke. I botched a slap shot in high school and pulled pretty much every muscle in my shoulder. Therapist told me no hockey for 3 weeks and I told them to fly a kite, now my shoulder cracks and pops all the time.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
According to Twitter, a lot of Farjestad fans are really impressed by Johansson. Not really sure what their depth looks like on D, but I read that he could potentially make their SHL team if he keeps it up.
He was also just picked to the U20 team for the 4-nations tournament later this month in Russia. It's more of a B-roster but he's one of only two 2001's on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad