Detroit Red Wings - 90s dream team

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Thought it would be fun to combine the best player's from 1990 to 1999 who played for this team.

What i got:

Shanahan - Yzerman - Ciccarelli
Kozlov - Larionov - Fedorov
Gallant - Carson - Sheppard
Probert - Primeau - McCarty

Lidstrom - Murphy
Coffey - Konstantinov
Fetisov - Chiasson

Osgood
Cheveldae

That 4th line would be hell to play against!

Discuss and make your own rosters.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Cheveldae? :laugh: How can you not take the guy with the Conn Smythe instead? His lows were low... but so were Chevy's.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Somehow I just wouldn't like to make a lineup with both Primeau and Shanahan there. One was used to get another.

But for this one, I don't care:

Primeau - Yzerman - Ciccarelli (I remember this was used as a line at at -95 and -96)
Shanahan - Fedorov - Sheppard (this was never a line, because Sheppard left before Shanny arrived, but Feds played a lot with both Shanny and Sheppard)
Kozlov - Larionov - Lapointe (this was sure together as a line with a very good chemistry)
Probert - Draper - McCarty (just a more violent Grind-Line :naughty:)

Lidström - Murphy
Fetisov - Konstantinov
Coffey - Chelios

Vernon
Osgood

13 Norris Trophies at defence. :nod: Coffey would be sheltered because he is horrible defensively.

Last edited:

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Shanny - Yzerman - Ciccarelli
Koslov - Federov - Larionov
Holmstrom - Carson - Sheppard
Maltby -Draper -Probert
Ysebart and whoever for the extra forwards

Lidstrom - Murphy
Coffey - Chelios
Fetisov - Konstantinov
Chiasson for the 7th d

Osgood
Vernon

I almost put Homer on the first line because having him net front for a prime Yzerman and Shanahan would be interesting.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
What is funny/sad is that any one of these dream teams would likely destroy our current roster, even if it's the players in their present day age.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
What is funny/sad is that any one of these dream teams would likely destroy our current roster, even if it's the players in their present day age.

Ya not even close, did you watch the alumni games? If your just making a joke, then ignore me.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Ah ok I was only 8 when he got traded so a little too early for me watching hockey. Couldn't remember when he got traded either thanks for info.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Ya not even close, did you watch the alumni games? If your just making a joke, then ignore me.

Halfway joking. I honestly would take present day Nicklas Lidstrom and Larry Murphy over any of the defensemen on our current roster. Our blueline is terrible.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ah ok I was only 8 when he got traded so a little too early for me watching hockey. Couldn't remember when he got traded either thanks for info.

I was younger than that. 5 when traded. I looked it up on google.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Shanahan-Yzerman-Ciccarelli
Kozlov-Larionov-Fedorov
Gallant-Primeau-Lapointe
Probert-Draper-McCarty
Burr, Kocur

Lidstrom-Murphy
Fetisov-Konstantinov
Coffey-Chelios
Chiasson

Vernon
Osgood

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Same here, I know Oates was a Wing, but I think I started watching hockey when I was 9 which was right after this trade took place.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Same here, I know Oates was a Wing, but I think I started watching hockey when I was 9 which was right after this trade took place.

Two of the most heinous trades in RW history happened that year. Oates for Federko/McKegney was god awful. I can't imagine the prowess of the winged wheel if they kept Oates and had Yzerman/Oates/Fedorov up the middle.

Also, Klima and Adam Graves to Edm for Carson. Jimmy Devallano should have been taken out behind the tool shed and put down.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Two of the most heinous trades in RW history happened that year. Oates for Federko/McKegney was god awful. I can't imagine the prowess of the winged wheel if they kept Oates and had Yzerman/Oates/Fedorov up the middle.

Also, Klima and Adam Graves to Edm for Carson. Jimmy Devallano should have been taken out behind the tool shed and put down.

I heard a story on 97.1 about this one. They said something about the Wings having a big game and Klima was out partying or something like that and wasnt able to compete so the Wings just had enough of him and traded him. Anyone know that story? I admit I could be butchering this.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Don't forget Joe Murphy.

The whole Jimmy Carson vs Joe Murphy thing is a huge black mark on Jimmy D.

Detroit has the first pick of the draft in 1986. (Turned out to be a pretty lame draft).
The main options were
1) Jimmy Carson - home grown kid from Southfield who'd gone the Lafontaine route to play in Quebec juniors - and we know how badly Ilitch wanted Lafontaine.
2) Joe Murphy - Canadian kid who'd just finished his freshman year at Michigan State.

Detroit opted for Murphy. But Murphy could't crack the Wings lineup and played in Adirondack. The next year, Murphy played 50 games in Detroit but managed 20 points. In his third post-draft season, he spent a majority of the season in Adirondack.

Meanwhile, Carson scores 37 goals as a rookie.
He follows it up with a 55goal, 107-point season.

Then he's traded to Edmonton in the Gretzky trade and outs up 49 goals and 100 points.

So after 3 years, the #1 overall pick playing in Adirondack.
The hometown kid they didn't draft is averaging more than 40 goals a year.

So, early in year 4, the Red Wings trade Murphy, Klima, Graves and Jeff Sharpes for Carson, McLelland and a fifth round pick.

Carson's career immediately nosedives in Detroit.
He posted a couple more decent years, but he was never a highly thought of player.

Meanwhile, Joe Murphy, Graves and Klima helped Edmonton win the cup in 1990.
Murphy posted 14 points in 22 games. Graves 11 points. Klima 5 goals.

Murphy went on to have a solid career, scoring 35 goals and 82 points at his peak.
Graves went on to be a 50-goal man with the Rangers, where he won a cup and was 2nd team All Star.
Even Klima had more post-trade success than Carson.

Here's more about Carson, who's apparently adjusted nicely to post-hockey life.
https://thehockeywriters.com/what-ever-happened-to-jimmy-carson/

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
FWIW, Klima is still technically an eligible selection for a "90's dream team" since he came back for a hot second during the back half of the 98-99 season. Even though his best (and almost all) years as a Red Wings came before 1990, the most productive year of his NHL career came during the 90's.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
All this talk of nostalgia makes me wonder why we can't draft for beans anymore.

I think it has more to do with the rest of the NHL actually scouting outside of Canada instead of just Detroit and maybe 1-2 other teams doing so now. In the late 80's to middle 90's our team was basically the only team really looking elsewhere and in doing so we really reaped the benefits of doing so.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think it has more to do with the rest of the NHL actually scouting outside of Canada instead of just Detroit and maybe 1-2 other teams doing so now. In the late 80's to middle 90's our team was basically the only team really looking elsewhere and in doing so we really reaped the benefits of doing so.

Valid point. Federov, Vlad, and Lidstrom were all European and in the same draft class. Now that I think about it, all of our best draft picks over the past couple of decades or so were/are all European. Datsyuk, Kronwall, Z, Franzen, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov. Even the supplementary guys like Hudler, Filppula, Nyquist, Tatar were Euros.
Other than Larkin, Mantha, and Howard, have we drafted any North American players of major impact? Abby I guess technically counts.
Maybe we should diversify our scouting a little bit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad