GDT: Detroit at Nashville, 8 p.m.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
He's an offensive d-man that has lost his offense. Both the eye test and his stats say he's not a guy you want out in a shutdown role. To give you an idea, he has a worst ppg, Corsi and Fenwick than DD.

He may have been an offensive d-man in the past, but for the Wings he's being relied on for a much greater role.

He has worse advanced stats than a guy being paid more money on a longer term? Oh no. Is he better than DD from the "eye test?" In my opinion, absolutely.

Quote all the stats you want, but he's being asked to be more defensive than not - and that's what he's doing. Regardless, you do know that there's more to playing ice hockey defense than simply "shut down" or "score goals," right?

Perhaps he's being asked to do too much, but that's not his fault, and he's certainly not being overpaid.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He may have been an offensive d-man in the past, but for the Wings he's being relied on for a much greater role.

He has worse advanced stats than a guy being paid more money on a longer term? Oh no. Is he better than DD from the "eye test?" In my opinion, absolutely.

Quote all the stats you want, but he's being asked to be more defensive than not - and that's what he's doing. Regardless, you do know that there's more to playing ice hockey defense than simply "shut down" or "score goals," right?

Perhaps he's being asked to do too much, but that's not his fault, and he's certainly not being overpaid.

Who said he was overpaid? And I do know there's more to it, and he's doing all of it pretty poorly. He is not an essential part of the team, and I would rather watch a kid sink than watch him do the same.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Blame Bertuzzi. He's proving to be a major liability in the "taking stupid penalties" department. Took 2 more stupid penalties this game. Just bench this dip **** again, please.
Bull****. It was a stupid penatly that we got very, very lucky on. It was a mirror slash that he took a major against the Islanders that cost us the game... and he sat out next game for. It was the same damn play except refs called NSH for this time as well as Bert. He didn't learn ****!

And he took a stupid penalty on the too many men.

How blind the homers are on this board!

He was lucky they got Subban for roughing when he got called for slashing. Sometimes all the refs see is the slash. Dumb play by
Bertuzzi. Especially after what happened to him against the Islanders.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Daley has been pretty good the last 3-4 weeks. But he was awful from October through mid January. Awful.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He was lucky they got Subban for roughing when he got called for slashing. Sometimes all the refs see is the slash. Dumb play by
Bertuzzi. Especially after what happened to him against the Islanders.

Goes with the territory with a guy like Bertuzzi. For as long as I've read about him, he's been a guy that pushes that envelope, that uses his stick on guys behind the play, that stirs the pot. Hopefully, he'll get better at hiding it in the NHL as I'm sure he adjusted and got better at hiding it everywhere else he's played.

And it's not like he's the first guy in Detroit who was pretty liberal with the lumber. I think there was talk from other teams about Franzen being stick happy, it wouldn't surprise me if Sammy was as well. Chelios wouldn't hesitate with it. Maltby could be vicious with his stick. I have a bigger issue with the team's PK bleeding goals like a stuck pig than I do with Bert taking the occasional penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->