GDT: DET @ SJS | 10:30pm EST | 3/12/2018

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
He’s basically the guy that should be replacing Abby. Same type of player but better skill and vision. That guy that can create space on top lines but has enough finish. Unfortunately he’s not replacing Abby cause we gave him a lifetime deal and a NTC

Does Bertuzzi hit like Abby?

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I'd be surprised if Bert didn't end up better than Abdelkader. It took until Abdelkader's 6th season until he actually eclipsed 30 points.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Passes Terrible Ted. Congrats Z! Man a lot of mile stones tonight.
In the post game interview, Hank also noted that it came in San Jose, where he played his first NHL game.

I've always been toward the underappreciating end of the spectrum on Zetterberg, but he's been everything you could ask for in a season like this one, in terms of a good soldier with good (twilight years) production.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It only looks that way because Z won't let him come off his wing. Nyquist has been horrible all year long, on pace to be worse than last year.

This is where stats don't measure up to the eye-test. In '14-15 Gus had 24 PPP but was -11. I don't know how people can't see he's having his best season since then. He's nearly as quick but playing with less fear. His overall game has far more impact than say Tatar's. I think Nyquist has been one of the brighter spots this season. The contract expires next year, perfect opportunity to grab another good pick then.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Should be in GR then give those minutes to booth or whoever kid is just losing confidence and not developing
Same old story. People want the kids up, unhappy if they aren’t, unhappy if they are and get little icetime, unhappy if they are and get lots of icetime but don’t do well.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Why are you surprised? He's excelled at every level he's played at. Won the AHL Calder Cup MVP last spring. He's a good hockey player.
Other than Larkin, just about every guy the Wings have brought up has struggled much more than their minor league performance would predict. Bertuzzi has been the happy exception.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Same old story. People want the kids up, unhappy if they aren’t, unhappy if they are and get little icetime, unhappy if they are and get lots of icetime but don’t do well.

Meh, I think a lot of people are just excited to be able to see him play.

Reactions: Winger98

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Wings pass slow as molasses.

They look at the pass they're going to make for a full 1-2 seconds before doing it. When I watch other teams it's tic tac toe, fast, one touch passing. We are the opposite and it kills us.

I just don't think we have the skill for it for the most part.
I was thinking that just the other game.

It's such a small thing but Lidstrom was great at looking off a player and then making a pass, like a quarterback. So many Wings players stare down right where they're about to throw the puck, especially heading into the neutral zone. I don't expect them to be as good as Lidstrom but it wouldn't hurt to occasionally look somewhere else than lock in right where you're about to pass the puck.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
This is where stats don't measure up to the eye-test. In '14-15 Gus had 24 PPP but was -11. I don't know how people can't see he's having his best season since then. He's nearly as quick but playing with less fear. His overall game has far more impact than say Tatar's. I think Nyquist has been one of the brighter spots this season. The contract expires next year, perfect opportunity to grab another good pick then.

Watching the games this year, my eye test says he's been shit this year. You can try to justify it anyway you want, but to me he hasn't been good at all this year.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
with Zetterberg retiring this season or next, there is less incentive to hold onto his BFF nyquist at next year's deadline

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Meh, I think a lot of people are just excited to be able to see him play.
It's not that exciting to watch a kid who's barely NHL ready and is playing with low confidence. I would get it if we were talking about someone who had been dominating the AHL, but Svech is only getting NHL time because we're tanking and because the focus is shifting heavily towards the future. 5 minutes or 10 minutes or 15 minutes don't matter a whole lot right now, the only thing he's in the NHL for is to watch and learn and get a small taste so he knows what it takes.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's not that exciting to watch a kid who's barely NHL ready and is playing with low confidence. I would get it if we were talking about someone who had been dominating the AHL, but Svech is only getting NHL time because we're tanking and because the focus is shifting heavily towards the future. 5 minutes or 10 minutes or 15 minutes don't matter a whole lot right now, the only thing he's in the NHL for is to watch and learn and get a small taste so he knows what it takes.

Right, so then what's the issue?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
You say that like it's inconsistent or something.

When people say they want a kid up, they mean they actually want to see them play. No one wants a kid called up to sit in the pressbox or play 5 minutes a night. That's absolutely pointless.

You're conflating being "upset" at different things with each other. When kids aren't called up, we're upset with the GM. When they don't get IT, we're upset with the coach. When they don't do well, we're upset with the player and/or the GM/drafting/scouting/development.

That's all completely consistent.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad