DET 1st (6th overall)
OTT 2nd (33rd overall)

:wings
EDM 1st (10th overall)

:edmonton
Andreas Athanasiou
Gus Nyquist (1.75M retained)
VGK 1st (30th overall)

~Wings jump start their rebuild with Zadina and one of Hughes/Bouchard/Dobson/Boqvist

~Habs slide back for Kot and get a real solid pick swap

~Oilers get two skilled & affordable forwards to help win now and still stay in the 1st round.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
No to the detroit one. Kotkaniemi ranked 5 means Arizona picking him is a legit threat.
And a 2nd rounder for moving down 3 to 6 is nowhere near enough.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Doubt Montreal or Edmonton consider this. Actually I'm certain Montreal doesn't.

... Which is fine, because Detroit shouldn't be moving up to 3 for Zadina anyways. The guys slipping on most boards as it is. It's actually not out of the realm of possibility that he could be around at 6 anyways if MTL picks Kotkaniemi and OTT or PHX wants a defender and the other prefers Tkachuk.

I'm really liking EDM's pick right now though. (Though I doubt we have what it takes to get there) Bobby Mac's rankings with all four of Dobson/Bouchard/Hughes/Boqvist available at 6 has me salivating. Take one of Dobson/Bouchard at #6 and then grab whichever is left at #10.

Reactions: thadd

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
No to the detroit one. Kotkaniemi ranked 5 means Arizona picking him is a legit threat.
And a 2nd rounder for moving down 3 to 6 is nowhere near enough.

But teams don't follow Mckenzie's draft rankings, and maybe its just a coincidence but looking at Arizona's past drafts, they haven't selected a Finnish player in any round since 2012. Personally think Ottawa would go Tkachuk or Dobson at 4 and Arizona Tkachuk, Wahlstrom or Hughes at 5 in this scenario.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Doubt Montreal or Edmonton consider this. Actually I'm certain Montreal doesn't.

... Which is fine, because Detroit shouldn't be moving up to 3 for Zadina anyways. The guys slipping on most boards as it is. It's actually not out of the realm of possibility that he could be around at 6 anyways if MTL picks Kotkaniemi and OTT or PHX wants a defender and the other prefers Tkachuk.

I'm really liking EDM's pick right now though. (Though I doubt we have what it takes to get there) Bobby Mac's rankings with all four of Dobson/Bouchard/Hughes/Boqvist available at 6 has me salivating. Take one of Dobson/Bouchard at #6 and then grab whichever is left at #10.

Really don't think Ottawa would pass on Zadina so if Wings want him (which was rumored a few weeks ago) they'd likely have to move to 3. I suppose best offer would be 6+33 for 3.

Would not be opposed to staying at 6 and just trying to move up to 10 to stock up on high end D. I dunno how taking Boqvist at 10 and getting him in the lineup in 3 years helps Edmonton more than that return. Maybe they could find a better return from another team but don't feel like that offer is too far off.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
For EDM, salary cap and roster room says hi. You need to take back Lucic or add at least high 2nd.

EDM could afford Nyquist and AA at a combined probably $5.5M. (As Nyquist has retention)

The problem is that package is likely not enough to get #10. Maybe I'm wrong. I just see quantity for quality.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Assuming Larkin/Mantha/#6 are off the table, is there anything Detroit could package that they would do it for?

I don't know Detroit's prospects/roster well enough to really comment but I think they are looking for a high end defenceman either already playing or ready for that next step...... I think the 10th pick could be packaged and added to depending what was available in that regard.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I don't know Detroit's prospects/roster well enough to really comment but I think they are looking for a high end defenceman either already playing or ready for that next step...... I think the 10th pick could be packaged and added to depending what was available in that regard.

Say Oilers aren't able to find anyone willing to part with a high end D who's ready now for the 10th+, do you prefer Oilers staying put at 10 and just taking say Boqvist for example and delaying that contribution for a few years down the road or rather go for a package like the one offered or similar type help now quantity for future quality offer? For clarity I'm valuing AA and Nyquist each as late 1st/2nd+.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Say Oilers aren't able to find anyone willing to part with a high end D who's ready now for the 10th+, do you prefer Oilers staying put at 10 and just taking say Boqvist for example and delaying that contribution for a few years down the road or rather go for a package like the one offered or similar type help now quantity for future quality offer? For clarity I'm valuing AA and Nyquist each as late 1st/2nd+.
I don't see the Oilers parting with 10, unless it fills an important area of need namely a PP QB d-man (preferably right handed) (depending on the d-man we are willing to add for this need). I would also do it for an ideal linemate for Draisaitl that is on an affordable contract with term, but I don't think management would as they've shown a bit of disregard for wingers. Oilers prospect group is also one of the very worst in the league, so replenishing it is something that needs to be done to a certain extent.

In general we have a lot of lefties and there is a general bias towards getting more right handed shots, so it's a bit less appealing off the hop just for that reason. To me Athanasiou is more of a McDavid linemate than a Draisaitl one, and with RNH gelling with McDavid well late in the season, I don't think Athanasiou would really figure into our plans. I could see Athanasiou as someone we'd want for the 3rd line, but I can't imagine us giving up more than our 2nd round pick for him. Nyquist is someone I'm sure could fetch a 1st at the next trade deadline, but I don't think he can do that right now, picks move freely at the deadline with teams desperate to improve and push for a cup, but going into the draft weekend teams really prefer to hold onto their picks.

Short and sweet I don't think Detroit has anything that they'd be willing to offer, that would give us pause to give up the 10th overall pick.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Hronek
Athanosiou
VGK 1st

is a package that might get it done, but I’m also very high on Hronek, not sure what other Oilers fans think.

I quite like Hronek so I would do it, no clue why Detroit would ever trade him. But Oil fans who don't know him will just call him a 2nd and say no. I honestly think Hronek has the potential to be better than whoever is available at 10.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
terrible for habs...if we're moving back some then I want a higher pick (think mid round) plus a good prospect.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Value is probably close for the MTL deal but that chance that Kotka gets taken is to scary. Just a scarier risk then potential reward. I only see Montreal trading down to Arizona if they do honestly.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
No thanks from the Oil. It seems quite likely at this point that one of Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist is there at 10. Would we like a quick fix at RD? Sure, but this deal doesn't do that anyway. If there's none available, we take one of those guys.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I concur with the other Edmonton posters. The Oilers are more likely to draft at 10th and grab one of the 4 defenseman who might fall there than make this deal. I also understand why no salary is coming back to Detroit. They don't have a ton of room either.

At this time the Red Wings and the Oilers are not good trading partners.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don't think the Oilers would trade the pick unless it's for a good offensive defenseman, preferably right handed. They've been chasing that player for awhile now and it looks like they are going to have the chance to finally grab one in that range or a guy like Wahlstrom who would look great next to 97.

That said I think it's good value. Getting a winger to put with Draisaitl in Nyquist and another young guy who has shown the ability to contribute in AA and still getting a late first to add a prospect to the system. It would also depend on their ability to move money out somewhere else, likely Lucic or one of Russell/Sekera.

RNH - McD
Drai - Nyquist

Is a pretty solid core for the top 6

Reactions: THall4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad