Trade: [DET/LAC] Blake Griffin to Detroit Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley, Boban Marjanovic, 1st & 2nd

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This will lead to more stars asking for NTCs I predict.

Blake just signed last summer. Now he's headed to a 9th place team in a frigid climate.

They would have already done so. It wont happen, basketball is the one sport where one player can make a massive difference, so the top guys know their teams need them more than they need the team.

Melo and LeBron are the only players with NTC. Westbrook, Curry, Harden and Wall all signed mega contracts recently and didn't ask for NTC's main reason being the one I stated.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
With NO losing Cousins and likely to slide, blowing it up is quite a bold call because I think the Clips would have been a playoff team had they kept their squad together.
No doubt. But it just makes more sense to accept the inevitable at this point and start to plan ahead. It was fine to go to the playoffs and lose every year when they had the big 3, but now they're essentially a fluke. Would be short-sighted to keep trudging along with this team.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Slight overpayment but the pistons needed a guy who scored just alittle more

If they got one more player they would be in a good spot. Drummond, Griffin, ??? If one of the players we traded played dfence and we got the trade without them it would be pretty amazing

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Getting traded a few months after re-signing with the Clippers sucks for him. It's another example of why I don't blame players and talk about loyalty if they leave in free agency. However, as a few people have mentioned on twitter, apparently the Clippers weren't willing to give him both a 5-year deal and a NTC and he chose to take the 5th year instead. It was still the smart decision because he's going to get paid nearly $40M in that 5th year but he put himself at risk of this happening.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Great trade for LA. They did well to get out of Griffin's contract and looks to have gotten a pretty good haul. Griffin was already pretty overrated as it is. All he is now is a scorer who doesn't rebound and defend well. He's essentially the reason those Clipper teams never got as far as it should have. That was a really good team, but they needed Griffin to be a better all-around player.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Detroit got lot better but I like this a lot for Clips. Good return.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
good move by the clips

they know they're not going to make any noise in the playoffs so why not just blow up and start over

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Detroit shouldn’t have done this. That’s a huge contract to take on when you still don’t have a cornerstone to build around... They’re gonna regret this.

Blake can be a distraction and he’s always hurt. Hopefully he leaves his Kardashian in LA..

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, this is all it took for every big name free agent to tell the Clippers "thanks, but no thanks" for the next few free agencies.

I don't fault the Clippers for wanting to rebuild and starting it by trading Blake Griffin. But to sign him to a 5-year extension literally 7 months ago and then trade him in year 1 of that contract is hilarious. Nobody will even think about signing there long term.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Nuggets big winner in all of this. Just about guaranteed a playoff spot.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I almost started a thread 2 days ago to ask 'is Griffin still a superstar?'

I just didn't hear much about him in recent years

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Detroit shouldn’t have done this. That’s a huge contract to take on when you still don’t have a cornerstone to build around... They’re gonna regret this.

Blake can be a distraction and he’s always hurt. Hopefully he leaves his Kardashian in LA..

Yeah uhh. Svg isn’t really an amazing drafter so they aren’t gonna find one in the draft. And they aren’t drafting high cause the pistons without griffin will finish in the 7th-12th range. So it doesn’t hurt them unless they were planning to get rid of him

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
On that topic...

With NO losing Cousins and likely to slide, blowing it up is quite a bold call because I think the Clips would have been a playoff team had they kept their squad together.

Not much of a point in making the playoffs just to be swept in R1 by Houston or GSW. Besides, the Clips era of being relevant was done as soon as CP3 decided to leave. DeAndre was going to test free agency with or without Griffin/Paul, Rivers needs to retire from coaching and Griffin is more injury prone than ever now. It was the smart thing to blow it up.

Speaking of DeAndre, its hilarious that 3 years ago Blake/CP3 and a few others basically held him hostage in his own house so he'd sign with the Clippers instead of Dallas. Now he's alone.

Getting traded a few months after re-signing with the Clippers sucks for him. It's another example of why I don't blame players and talk about loyalty if they leave in free agency. However, as a few people have mentioned on twitter, apparently the Clippers weren't willing to give him both a 5-year deal and a NTC and he chose to take the 5th year instead. It was still the smart decision because he's going to get paid nearly $40M in that 5th year but he put himself at risk of this happening.

This was a total Sterling move. Things weren't supposed to be this way with Ballmer in charge.

Overrated just like KLove with TWolves

Lolololol T-Wolves K Love overrated :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :facepalm:

Staff also wore shirts putting his face among the likes of Ali, MLK, Mandela etc :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->