Trade: [DET/LAA] Angels acquire Ian Kinsler for 2 prospects

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
From the Tigers view, the return is disappointing. But Kinsler obviously used his NTC to block any trade to other suitors.

Gruß,
BSHH

What exactly makes you say that? You do realize he had a down year, is in his mid 30's and is still owed 11 million right?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
What exactly makes you say that? You do realize he had a down year, is in his mid 30's and is still owed 11 million right?

He apparently declined a trade to the Mets. Thus, it had to be the Angels.

The time to get rid of Kinsler was last year. But with him slumping so badly and with the market non-existant for a hitter at the deadline, Detroit had to hold onto him. Dumping his contract and picking up a pair of lottery tickets is about the best you could hope for.

Most fans understand they weren't going to get much for Kinsler and the time to move him is now. Thanks to the second wild card, the trade deadline is only valuable if you're looking to move good-to-great young, cost controlled pitching or a superstar who is still relatively cheap.

As for the Angels, he should still be great defensively even at 36. The bat officially might be in decline now however.

Reactions: Voight

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Will always remember Kinsler taking down the Giants and their players prior to the world series only to watch him do nothing and the Giants kick their teeth in.

Reactions: Voight

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
In an interview with The Athletic, Kinsler himself now confirmed that he was only willing to waive his NTC for the Angels (and not for the Mets, allegedly another suitor). Thus Avila's statement was correct.

Gruß,
BSHH

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
He apparently declined a trade to the Mets. Thus, it had to be the Angels.

The time to get rid of Kinsler was last year. But with him slumping so badly and with the market non-existant for a hitter at the deadline, Detroit had to hold onto him. Dumping his contract and picking up a pair of lottery tickets is about the best you could hope for.

Most fans understand they weren't going to get much for Kinsler and the time to move him is now. Thanks to the second wild card, the trade deadline is only valuable if you're looking to move good-to-great young, cost controlled pitching or a superstar who is still relatively cheap.

As for the Angels, he should still be great defensively even at 36. The bat officially might be in decline now however.

Well the bat isn't in decline...It's just gone

So much that his replacement in Detroit, an all glove/no bat Dixon Machado, is putting up better numbers at the plate.

Angels can bide time due to their overall offense and defense and the second wild card though.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I don't think it would take much to acquire Whitt Merrifield.

Kinsler was worth a gamble as all Detroit did was ditch salary and pick up some lottery tickets. But they'll have to make a decision by the all-star break if they're still in the hunt and he is still a black hole.

While I think he is still good defensively, analytics state he has continued to decline the past 2-3 years. Understandable with his age but that's another strike against him.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Kinsler was worth a gamble as all Detroit did was ditch salary and pick up some lottery tickets. But they'll have to make a decision by the all-star break if they're still in the hunt and he is still a black hole.

While I think he is still good defensively, analytics state he has continued to decline the past 2-3 years. Understandable with his age but that's another strike against him.
Are you sure? He’s leading the Royals in WAR.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Are you sure? He’s leading the Royals in WAR.

And he is under control through 2022.

Ohtani just graduated and we still have 4 guys in the top 100 prospects.

Who would you give up? Adell or Maitan?

I would be a bit surprised if Jones or Marsh can bring back a quality 2B in a 1 for 1 trade unless it's a rental situation.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
And he is under control through 2022.

Who would you give up? Adell or Maitan?

I would be a bit surprised if Jones or Marsh can bring back a quality 2B in a 1 for 1 trade unless it's a rental situation.
I’d consider Maitan if we get someone that we’re gonna keep for awhile. He’d be pretty useless with Simmons and the new 2B in our infield for the foreseeable future.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

it would take a lot. he's cost controlled for a few more years and is great. they also don't have any reason to trade him

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
it would take a lot. he's cost controlled for a few more years and is great. they also don't have any reason to trade him
He's 29. They should definitely trade him. They might not be good until he's a free agent.

But, yea, you're going to have to part with Jahmai Jones as a headliner or something. Definitely not Adell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad