Confirmed with Link: Derrick Pouliot's here because reasons. Part 1. (#859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can see the guy has some vision out there on the ice, but is hanging back defensively.....obviously the Canucks are hoping he remembers how to join the rush and develop some production from the back end.....as for tonight, I was certain Pouliot and Stecher would be pancaked by the Sens down low.....but their puck movement and zone exits were very solid....a couple of positive games from him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
he's not as quick as i expected.

That was actually one of the negatives coming out of the scouting report when we acquired him: that he isn't that good of a skater at the NHL level. He's quicker than Clendening though. Really hope he blossoms here.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Time to start those Edler trade rumors...

Pouliot looked good today but it looks like he's playing it safe. Wonder if that's Green telling him to focus on his own end or he just decided to play it safe so he can earn the coach's trust before being aggressive.

Would also like Stecher/him get more ice time

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
i thought pouliot was decent tonight. but he's not as quick as i expected.

He's not a bad skater, per se, because he's strong on his feet and gets where he needs to go. But I think part of his game (when he's on) is slowing the game down in the ozone and making smart but slow to develop plays. It's why he's such a high-event player.

Time to start those Edler trade rumors...

Pouliot looked good today but it looks like he's playing it safe. Wonder if that's Green telling him to focus on his own end or he just decided to play it safe so he can earn the coach's trust before being aggressive.

Would also like Stecher/him get more ice time

Defensemen who go through the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton development machine are usually told to choke their offense and play passive, Dan Girardi defense, and it shows in how they hang back and hesitate when they get called up. They haven't properly developed any defensemen that way besides Dumoulin, who couldn't score consistently with a gun to his head, so now they've decided to start drafting/acquiring prospects that fit that mold better. What you're seeing is years of Pouliot getting burned for taking any risks and being aggressive. Hopefully he gets over that with a coach he trusts, considering the Portland connection.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i thought pouliot was decent tonight. but he's not as quick as i expected.

Yeah, he's been OK so far but also kind of underwhelming.

He's been better defensively than I expected, so full marks for that. But also hasn't flashed any skills that pop or really done anything to make you think he has any sort of upside past being a #6-7 guy.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

He's been better defensively than I expected, so full marks for that. But also hasn't flashed any skills that pop or really done anything to make you think he has any sort of upside past being a #6-7 guy.

He's getting PP time so I think it's only a matter of time before he has success offensively, he just needs more time to get familiar with his new team. Defensively he had a good game, better than you'd expect from a 6-7 player.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

yes, on first impression he looks way more ready to be a #6 guy than i expected, and way less likely to be more than that based just on his skating and especially his first steps. so he is more or less the exact opposite of what i was expecting.

interesting that the canucks have not called up a dman to back him up. i guess biega could step in but they have signalled he is going to get a decent look.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Because "everyone does it". This type of rational should easily get you a front office job at the Church of Benning.

Cute. It was a tongue in cheek comment I made....which went easily over your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad