Confirmed with Link: Derrick Pouliot's here because reasons. Part 1. (#859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Mods not doing their job, why am I not surprised. Those guys are the laziest people on the site I tell ya ;)

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I admit I was on the fence about whether to start a part 2 for this shit fest.

But I wanted to confirm the 1k rule was still in effect here and I also wanted to see if I could edit thread titles. So yes and no.

Also I thought people might have wanted to continue to argue about this latest piece of evidence our GM has the IQ of a squashed apricot.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I admit I was on the fence about whether to start a part 2 for this **** fest.

But I wanted to confirm the 1k rule was still in effect here and I also wanted to see if I could edit thread titles. So yes and no.

Also I thought people might have wanted to continue to argue about this latest piece of evidence our GM has the IQ of a squashed apricot.

We'll just turn it into a player discussion thread. Everything Pouliot related in here.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So is the ability to edit thread titles granted to thread starters or just mods in this new dystopia...? Where's Ryan Gosling when we need him?!

*edit* Oh good lord, at least spell discussion right if you're going to deny me the Constitutional right to edit the title of threads I make!

:m-ooh::m-sad::m-rolleyes::m-mad:

*editedit* Why the hell is there a monkey section of emojis? I have never, ever, not once seen anyone use a monkey emoji before now. Was there some monkey fad that happened before I joined up?

It sucks. Kill it.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTG

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Probability arguments aside, the Pouliot trade still highlights Benning's tendency to target and pay for skill sets instead of overall player quality.

On overall player quality, an asset like Pouliot could have been had on waivers. Further, a player like Pedan could have been had on waivers, twice. Clearly, Benning doesn't think along these lines. He sees a skill set he thinks he needs and then overpays for it. That's what he does.

Pouliot could buck the odds and become an NHL regular. That's still possible. Probable? No, but possible. Even so, such an advancement will not disprove his overall value as a depth asset, so why overpay? Uniqueness of skills set? Ok, but that skill set still culminates to providing a replacement level player, so...?

Benning misunderstands asset value at a fundamental level. With a trade like this he reaffirms that perception. He is what he is, and he's not learning.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS
Feb 24, 2017
Actually he literally sucks at every part of being a GM so idk about that champ
You misread what he wrote and somehow made yourself look worse than the legendarily awful poster that is Reseob ot Etteduag.

Guess that makes you the new champ, champ.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
God, what is the point of this....is the management thread enough? Let's talk about the player here at least...

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
God, what is the point of this....is the management thread enough? Let's talk about the player here at least...

I am sure that will come once he has played his first game...but it might turn out like the Granlund threads. :laugh:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
How is it a brutal trade?we have not even played a game yet.give the kid a chance to play first.can allways pick up another 4th rnd pick thru the season.

Because Crapliot sucks thats why its brutal. And its just ANOTHER wasted pick. Yeah just a 4th but if noone cares about those picks why dont teams just say nah we wont use our 4th because who cares!

Get real bub

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

The player is being talked about, and so is the trade that just happened. _All_things Derrick Pouliot.

Let me ask you: How good do you think Pouliot is right now? Is he replacement level? A spare dman that has to earn a #6 spot? A top4? What is your read on his overall quality right now? I have offered my view. What is your view and how do you support your take?

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
The player is being talked about, and so is the trade that just happened. _All_things Derrick Pouliot.

Let me ask you: How good do you think Pouliot is right now? Is he replacement level? A spare dman that has to earn a #6 spot? A top4? What is your read on his overall quality right now? I have offered my view. What is your view and how do you support your take?

He's probably a number 7 dman right now on our team...I haven't seen him play with the team to asses his level beyond what we have been told in by Pits fans.

There is apparently some skill with this player, which has never been the problem with him, the complaints were he doesn't see the game well enough for the NHL. He has had success at the AHL level and hopefully can translate that here in our dcore which is actually worse then Pits.

He most likely is worth a 4th rounder at this point, could we have got him on waivers? Maybe? I don't know. He was targeted by our group and they went for him, they may be wrong about him ever becoming anything but at least it wasn't a 2nd rounder or a higher draft pick then a 4th. All in a ll a very minor trade.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Because Crapliot sucks thats why its brutal. And its just ANOTHER wasted pick. Yeah just a 4th but if noone cares about those picks why dont teams just say nah we wont use our 4th because who cares!

Get real bub

Instead of using hyperbole, I will do what Ronning on empty did, give us your take on the player and what is his overall quality now? What is your view and how do you support that?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Probability arguments aside, the Pouliot trade still highlights Benning's tendency to target and pay for skill sets instead of overall player quality.

On overall player quality, an asset like Pouliot could have been had on waivers. Further, a player like Pedan could have been had on waivers, twice. Clearly, Benning doesn't think along these lines. He sees a skill set he thinks he needs and then overpays for it. That's what he does.

Pouliot could buck the odds and become an NHL regular. That's still possible. Probable? No, but possible. Even so, such an advancement will not disprove his overall value as a depth asset, so why overpay? Uniqueness of skills set? Ok, but that skill set still culminates to providing a replacement level player, so...?

Benning misunderstands asset value at a fundamental level. With a trade like this he reaffirms that perception. He is what he is, and he's not learning.
Odds are he will be a NHL regular. We can't waive him

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.

I don't quite see this trade the same as some of his earlier "toss in a second" style moves. Pouliot is definitely the more valuable player and I can almost guarantee he'd have been picked up on waivers when Pedan wasn't.

Pedan gained some value when he made it through waivers as an injury call-up, but the value is still asymmetric. We had to add something.

Did we have to make this trade? Probably not, but we do need to find an eventual PPQB and having Pouliot gives us ever so slightly better odds at that. It's like hedging in currency markets. I also think we have better odds he turns out than both Pedan and the 4th do.

It's also likely that if the Pens were going to be forced to waive him that someone else would've made an offer before he ever got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad