Dermott vs Mete

Dermott vs Mete

• Dermott

• Mete

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
When I seen Mete at the start of the year he was very very good. However, this was also in the start where he A) Had Weber on his pairing and B) when teams were still super loose at the start of the season. I caught another game a few weeks later and he looked much less effective and had been demoted off the top pair. The potential is clearly there with him.

Dermott was the best D in the AHL before being called up so it's not like Mete where he came from no where and played well for a few games. As stated above he's probably been the Leafs best D since Rielly went down. Playing the PK, playing the PP, excellent gap control. Seems like the first Leafs D I've seen in at least a decade + who is better on defense than offense yet still able to contribute offensively.

Now, Dermott is also a few years older, so it's not exactly fair right now. Mete might take the same path Dermott did and dominate the AHL for a few years before coming up and stepping right into a top 4 role. Of course, Dermott could also take the same path as Mete and slowly decline into not anything more than a bottom pairing D over the next few weeks.

I think there are a few things here that factor into me picking Dermott. For one, Dermott is playing with Holl, Polak, and Carrick instead of Weber. For two, as of right now he has more track history and is more proven in pro hockey than Mete is. For three, while I believe Mete can be just as good or better with his potential, I am not confident in the Habs development system at all. It's likely instead of slowly bringing him along and letting him overripen he will be back on the team next season and given the chance to struggle and develop in the NHL which will IMO hinder his potential. Let's also not ignore the Habs are the worst development organization in recent history.

I am picking Dermott because he is better today, has more history behind him, and I don't trust the Montreal organization to get Mete to his potential. I think Mete either becomes a bottom pairing D or a #4 at his ceiling there. Dermott is already that and looks capable of top pairing minutes. I personally am beyond hyped with Dermott right now and think he can be the Leafs Seabrook.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Not going to vote because they are both going to be good young dmen.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I feel like Mete probably has more raw tools and obviously has more time to develop. I also think it was a horrible decision for the Habs to keep him up this year...but especially after the Juniors I just don't quite understand the logic in keeping the kid up to endure this kind of season. So I guess in a vacuum I would take Mete but I don't trust Montreal to actually develop him the right way....A lot more then just pure talent goes into the finished product.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I don't understand why everyone thinks Mete has some super offensive potential that he can tap into....

I saw many Gostibehere / Krug comparison, he has absolutely nothing to do with them IMO.

Mete will never be an offensive stud, however he as the potential of becoming one of the best shutdown dmen of the league. Like Stralman or even Vlasic good.

His skating ability and stick work makes him the perfect "new age" shutdown dmen. He as the potential to become a very very solid #2 and I think he will not be anything lower than a #4 on a good team.

For that reason I pick him, I like Dermott alot, better all around, but I feel that Mete is more a "niche" player because his skillset is rather unique and were the league is going, he will become a much needed addition to any team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't understand why everyone thinks Mete has some super offensive potential that he can tap into....

I saw many Gostibehere / Krug comparison, he has absolutely nothing to do with them IMO.

Mete will never be an offensive stud, however he as the potential of becoming one of the best shutdown dmen of the league. Like Stralman or even Vlasic good.

His skating ability and stick work makes him the perfect "new age" shutdown dmen. He as the potential to become a very very solid #2 and I think he will not be anything lower than a #4 on a good team.

For that reason I pick him, I like Dermott alot, better all around, but I feel that Mete is more a "niche" player because his skillset is rather unique and were the league is going, he will become a much needed addition to any team.

Because people dont watch other teams players..its pretty evident. Mete has good offensive potential, but hes pretty far from Gost in play style or Krug...

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I've been one of Dermott's biggest fans since he was drafted by us, but not even I knew he was going to be this good, this fast.

Gotta go with him, but I'm a big Mete fan.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Dermott just turned 21 while Mete doesn't turn 20 until the summer. I like Dermott a bit better just because he's bigger and I feel he's a safer bet, but Mete is a better skater and higher offensive potential. Either way there isn't a big gap between them.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
2 years? They were drafted 1 year apart.
Just stop and think a little bit.

Draft year has nothing to do with age differential.

Take players A and B.

Player A was born on September 16, 1999. Eligible for the draft in 2018.

Player B was born on September 15, 2001. Eligible for the draft in 2019.

What's their age differential ? :badidea:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Just stop and think a little bit.

Draft year has nothing to do with age differential.

Take players A and B.

Player A was born on September 16, 1999. Eligible for the draft in 2018.

Player B was born on September 15, 2001. Eligible for the draft in 2019.

What's their age differential ? :badidea:

It seems like the age vs draft year argument is always manipulated to suit ones argument on here. So are saying Eichel should be counted along with the 2014 draft class and Matthews the 2015 draft class when their development is measured?

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It seems like the age vs draft year argument is always manipulated to suit ones argument on here. So are saying Eichel should be counted along with the 2014 draft class and Matthews the 2015 draft class when their development is measured?
What have Matthews and Eichel to do with this thread ?

Please leave the goal posts where they are...

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
If Mete does not make the Canadiens roster out of training camp or gets sent to play at the WJC, does anyone even care about him and the hype it caused?

As for him being younger him and Dermott were drafted 1 year apart into the NHL.
And one is 17 1/2 months older than the other one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->