Derek Stepan Sucks (UPDATE: Does Not Suck - 03/07/18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Sorry to hear he's been so poor. He's always been a slow starter and a slow player who seems to have slowed even more the past few years. I can see Stepan's slow first step and slow foot speed being interpreted as lazy, especially if he's a bit lost in a new system. His greatest asset, by a wide margin, is intelligence, and if he's still getting comfortable in a new system then that's gone, leaving him about as productive and usefull as a 4th liner.

Say what you want about him but he rarely mailed it in or didn't give his all in NY. He's just an extremely smart player with limited skill especially in the skating department.

culex

Oct 23, 2016
Depressed? That is plain dumb. You would be in his place? Maybe come to Arizona and look around. Read rt's post, he hit the nail on the head.

Exactly!

Hockey players are still human. Sure, the money certainly makes a move more comfortable, however, doesn't necessarily make it easier emotionally/mentally. You're asking someone to uproot his family (which by the way, I know he either just had his second child or is expecting very soon) from their home of seven years, away from all their other friends/family. Mind you, friends that also date back before the Rangers, as he grew up playing college hockey with Ryan McDonagh.

Take this for what it's worth, but when I saw the Coyotes play at MSG a month or so ago, Derek Stepan walked out of MSG with Ryan McDonagh, Marc Staal, and Brendan Smith. I think about the tribute he got that night, too, and how he responded to it. It's clear he misses NYC. I know people don't always agree with these sentiments and may think "Oh boo hoo, someone who makes millions, has a beautiful wife/family, home is sad about moving. Suck it up!!!!" But that's not how people work. We grow attached to places and people. This, on top of a lot of things already being mentioned (going to a new team and entrusted with a new role, a new system, new city, etc.)

I hope he finds his game. As I said, he may not look great right now but I will say with 100% conviction that he is far from being a 'lazy loser' or someone that 'doesn't care'.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
A great house, nice area to live in (I've been to Arizona and Phoenix specifically several times. I love it), a good wife (which none of us know if she is or isn't... we just know she's good looking), great job, and money are all things that can help someone get through depression, but none of them prevent it. Being forcibly uprooted from the place he came into adulthood, where his closest friends are and where he was ready to spend at least the next 4 years of his life... that can really rattle a person and put them in that place.

But I forgot that depression is a highly misunderstood mood disorder, so it's my fault for even bringing it up. If you are depressed, it's really not a simple matter of willpower to bring yourself out of it. You've gotta work at it. I only brought it up because, if there's a fundamental difference between the way Stepan worked in NY and the way he is in Arizona, there's probably a better explanation than "laziness." Work ethic is a habit and habits are pretty hard to break. I didn't mean depression in the sense that he's sad about things. I meant it in a more clinical way. The kind of thing that leads to a loss of interest in things like work.
I misunderstood you. I thought you meant in the 'sad about things' way and not in the clinical way.

Reactions: Tawnos

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'd be happy to trade him back to NYC for DeAngelo, Andersson (and a bit more).

Who's available that would actually help us and not become depressed by the move?

No thanks on Holland :P

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If this is the case put him with other vets so they can lead by example. The problem is, the vets are the ones looking confused and lost. Sure the kids make mistakes, but I would rather lose with the kids making mistakes and hopefully learning from their mistakes than having the vets continue to make mistakes. OEL has returned to form and is leading this team but he is not getting much help. The vets are playing better than the first part of the year, but it could be a too little too late.
Too late for what?

Incidentally, you're starting to sound like a broken record. :nod:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd be happy to trade him back to NYC for DeAngelo, Andersson (and a bit more).

Who's available that would actually help us and not become depressed by the move?

No thanks on Holland
Why would they ever do that? They needed to cut salary. Plus we got Raanta. Zibanejad is injured and they might like Stepan back, but they aren't going to give us Andersson for him. Probably not even Chytil. I can't really think of a way to make the money work that NYR would go for. Hayes and Holden for Stepan and Connauton? That would fit, cap-wise, but I don't know why they'd do it. Marc Staal is a boat anchor they'd love to unload by he has trade clauses, and isn't likely to want to come here of all places. I think the ship has sailed on Stepan to the Rangers. Unless we retain salary. I can't see us doing that on such a long-term, high-dollar contract.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles

Trust me, if you had a hairline like his, you'd be depressed.

Reactions: Jakey53 and CC96

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
A great house, nice area to live in (I've been to Arizona and Phoenix specifically several times. I love it), a good wife (which none of us know if she is or isn't... we just know she's good looking), great job, and money are all things that can help someone get through depression, but none of them prevent it. Being forcibly uprooted from the place he came into adulthood, where his closest friends are and where he was ready to spend at least the next 4 years of his life... that can really rattle a person and put them in that place.

But I forgot that depression is a highly misunderstood mood disorder, so it's my fault for even bringing it up. If you are depressed, it's really not a simple matter of willpower to bring yourself out of it. You've gotta work at it. I only brought it up because, if there's a fundamental difference between the way Stepan worked in NY and the way he is in Arizona, there's probably a better explanation than "laziness." Work ethic is a habit and habits are pretty hard to break. I didn't mean depression in the sense that he's sad about things. I meant it in a more clinical way. The kind of thing that leads to a loss of interest in things like work.

Careful, Dr. Freud, depression is one the most common excuses for laziness. I used it all the time in the first few years after graduating from college...

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
DeAngelo is doing nothing in NY. He's got 3 pts in 11 games in the AHL.

He isn't doing well for their teams, but would probably do better within our current system than he did last season's. Of course he'd probably be sitting with Duclair most of the time from the looks of things

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I think the ship has sailed on Stepan to the Rangers. Unless we retain salary. I can't see us doing that on such a long-term, high-dollar contract.
I forgot to add my sarcastic smiley. My comment was more a reaction to "he's pining for NYC" than anything else. The Rangers were willing to get rid of him for a reason, I was just looking for a return semi-close to what we traded, but I'd be fine with throwing Raanta in if it would seal the deal.

Stepan (6.5 X 4) & Raanta (1 X 1) for Deangelo (.8 X 2), Andersson (.9 X 3)--drated with our 1st, Kreider (4.6 X 3)--I think he played C at some point, and Pavelec (1.3 X 1) would even it out.

I'm being semi-flippant here, but it could be fixed :nod:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

This person is pushing a narrative, because you describe TOI figures always in terms of /GP. He's barely top 20 in TOI/GP. His GF% is because he never steps foot outside of the top 6. His p/60 is 10th on the team. Duclair's GF% is higher (lol). He's still getting favorable zone starts while someone like Dvorak has it harder. Stepan is 9th among Coyotes forwards in xGF+/- (Fischer is the only positive forward). His defense leaves a lot to be desired in his own zone.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ

This is the one of the most ridiculous things i've ever read on this board

Flying Puck

Oct 16, 2017
Derek Stepan is far from the problem here. This is the worst NHL team to ever hit the ice. They will not reach the 48 points that the Avs had last year. Stepan has recorded 11 points in the last 14 games. Where is Domi been, where has Keller been the last 15 games? He has 1 point in the last 15 games. Stepan has been a 55-60 point center his entire career but he is now playing in a glorified AHL team. You can not play this style f hockey with a bunch one AHL players. We have had 13 players play their first NHL game this year. That is not a recipe to win in this league. Stepan needs to be surrounded by a couple of NHL forwards that understand the game! He has been really good for us the last 15 games or so. Don’t even get me started how bad our Dmen are.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Errr, what?
First of all you're dropping a lot of "we" in there for a guy who has most of his posts on the Rangers board.

Second of all the Coyotes do not have 13 players who played their first NHL game this year. I count Four and one is a goalie.

Third, Keller has 7 points in the last 15 but I'll assume you meant goals. Okay fine but Stepan himself had 1 point (NOT goal) in 11 games earlier this season. But he's the big pro right?

If you're just a Stepan fan that's fine, but coming around here and saying stuff that's just wrong isn't exactly helping your cause.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Derek Stepan is far from the problem here. This is the worst NHL team to ever hit the ice. They will not reach the 48 points that the Avs had last year. Stepan has recorded 11 points in the last 14 games. Where is Domi been, where has Keller been the last 15 games? He has 1 point in the last 15 games. Stepan has been a 55-60 point center his entire career but he is now playing in a glorified AHL team. You can not play this style f hockey with a bunch one AHL players. We have had 13 players play their first NHL game this year. That is not a recipe to win in this league. Stepan needs to be surrounded by a couple of NHL forwards that understand the game! He has been really good for us the last 15 games or so. Don’t even get me started how bad our Dmen are.

How do you have 8 posts on HF and all of them are Stepan related? http://hfboards.mandatory.com/search/568391/ that's super creepy.

Reactions: CC96 and rt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->