Confirmed with Link: Derek Stepan PTO

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Man I wonder if he just had a hard time handling practices or something. He didn't look out of place in games, yeah he's old and slow but he didn't seem from what I could see on tv that the game had passed him by. Must be something they're seeing but who knows what
Hard to believe the guy just turned 32. Is that old by NHL standards, already? The slow part I agree with.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I wish I understood LTIR.

I mean, not so much that I'm willing to lift a damned finger to figure it out. But still.
1. the salary of the LTIR player keeps counting against the cap in normal fashion
2. when you bring replacement player(s) for the injured player, the salary of those replacement player(s) is allowed to exceed the cap, though not above the amount of the LTIR player's salary,
3. but only after you have first used all of your free cap space on the replacement player(s) salary

So in a nutshell you get to exceed the cap to the amount of LTIR player's salary minus your free cap space.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
1. the salary of the LTIR player keeps counting against the cap in normal fashion
2. when you bring replacement player(s) for the injured player, the salary of those replacement player(s) is allowed to exceed the cap, though not above the amount of the LTIR player's salary,
3. but only after you have first used all of your free cap space on the replacement player(s) salary

So in a nutshell you get to exceed the cap to the amount of LTIR player's salary minus your free cap space.
So how does that work when the player comes back and you've got other players on the roster eating up that space?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So how does that work when the player comes back and you've got other players on the roster eating up that space?
When the LTIR player is deemed fit to play, the team is required to once again reduce its Averaged Club Salary to the level at or below the Upper Limit prior the former LTIR player can rejoin. Send them down, trade them, kill them.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
No wonder the TB situation went the way it did. There's every incentive to delay "deemed fit to play" until the playoffs, when presumably it no longer matters?

Could make for an interesting trade deadline, though. Sign a good player for the first months of the season, trade to another contender at the deadline for futures when you expect your guy to come back.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
No wonder the TB situation went the way it did. There's every incentive to delay "deemed fit to play" until the playoffs, when presumably it no longer matters?

Could make for an interesting trade deadline, though. Sign a good player for the first months of the season, trade to another contender at the deadline for futures when you expect your guy to come back.
This is why I believe that the LTIR rule for playoffs should be tweaked such that the team you ice must be cap compliant. It still allows teams to exceed the cap on their overall roster. However, it would prevent the Tampa thing from recurring. That Kucherov situation allowed them to ice a team with something like a $90 million cap.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
This is why I believe that the LTIR rule for playoffs should be tweaked such that the team you ice must be cap compliant. It still allows teams to exceed the cap on their overall roster. However, it would prevent the Tampa thing from recurring. That Kucherov situation allowed them to ice a team with something like a $90 million cap.
Or you must submit a roster after TDL of everyone that will be active for playoffs and that roster must be cap compliant?

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Or you must submit a roster after TDL of everyone that will be active for playoffs and that roster must be cap compliant?
I still lean towards the idea that to play in the playoffs you must have been on the active roster for the team at least 1 (possibly more) regular season games. You still get the Chicago situation where Kane gets injured mid season and comes back but you avoid the Kucherov scenario of missing the entire year. Though to be fair that one doesn't occur in a normal season.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Hard to believe the guy just turned 32. Is that old by NHL standards, already? The slow part I agree with.
I mean yeah kinda. Kids are coming in and contributing at 18-19 years old. Not to say older players can't still be good or great but I think its a young man's league now more than ever

Reactions: MinJaBen

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I mean yeah kinda. Kids are coming in and contributing at 18-19 years old. Not to say older players can't still be good or great but I think its a young man's league now more than ever
Yet we let TDA go in favor of Burns for the same price. Not saying it won't work out, and not saying I think Burns isn't a stand up guy with less anger or whatever issues, but still...

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Yet we let TDA go in favor of Burns for the same price. Not saying it won't work out, and not saying I think Burns isn't a stand up guy with less anger or whatever issues, but still...
Its not a hard and fast rule that younger is always better either though. That'd be like saying player A is 6'2 220 lbs and player B is 5'10 190 lbs so player A is automatically better. Sure the bigger size can be an advantage but it didn't stop Martin St Louis or Theo Fleury or Johnny Hockey or whoever else.

Reactions: DaveG

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Does anyone know what the Cap hit would be on say Garidner if we waived him prior to the season? Would it be different after the season starts?

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018

Dude.... we get it...

I like TDA. He was a steal of a contract for us this past year. He was refreshingly candid and detailed in a lot of his responses in interviews and when he used the prototypical cliches he had a wink to him that was nice to see. He wasn't a distraction in a negative way for the team with anything off the ice like in his recent past.. He, along with others, didn't have the best playoffs... but overall he had a great year and earned a new deal for a fair price.

He played well for us and in an ideal world, I would want him back on the roster for sure...

But you know that the statement wasn't an absolute and that there are exceptions to every rule and some case by case examination reveals the generalization of the statement doesn't hold up.. id still want P. Kane on my roster over Bokk... so not solely just age that drives who plays on teams...

As much as you like TDA and as much as I like TDA, assuming we don't have any injury concerns pop up over the next three years (which given the near Ironman like nature of Burns play at least historically seems to trend positive), then getting a 6'5" minute eating proven top pairing guy with a long history of being that guy that has better historical numbers and better historical displayed ability to play D in all situations for the same price as what TDA signed for with Philly?

Biggest no Brainer series of moves for the Canes that anyone in the GM role would do over and over again.... Sucks TDA isn't here anymore and sucks that the business requires more turnover than likely would happen in an uncapped league with owners willing to spend to be competitive... Would have loved to find a way to have both TDA and Burns here and settle the pecking order of the right side of the D..... but for what TDA earned in a deal after the way he pushed his way onto Slavins pairing and how he produced, he deserved a nice contract and more than we could pay for him to be on the 3rd pairing.. and hopefully we are a better team overall this year with the moves made to have the old guy on the top pairing right side for the next couple years.... time will tell just like it does with all moves...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad