Recalled/Assigned: Derek Smith

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The Calgary Flames announced today that they have recalled defenceman Derek Smith from the Abbotsford Heat of the American Hockey League.

Smith has played 11 games with the Flames this season. In 5 games with the Heat this year, he has recorded 1 goal.

Additionally, the Flames placed Curtis Glencross on injured reserve due to a lower body injury suffered today against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Hopefully he doesn't hurt Backlunds ice time :sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Curious as to why they called up Smith and not a forward to replace Glencross.
You are assuming he was called up to replace Glencross. He was likely called up to replace Russell. Without knowing if both will be placed on IR it's safer to recall a defenseman to they have 1 extra forward and 1 extra defenseman if neither is good to go.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They also have Blair Jones (I think) and TJ Galiardi with the team, so there's no reason to bring up another extra forward. I hope Russell isn't too badly hurt, but watching the play, the potential for a broken bone or sprained joint is there.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
You are assuming he was called up to replace Glencross. He was likely called up to replace Russell. Without knowing if both will be placed on IR it's safer to recall a defenseman to they have 1 extra forward and 1 extra defenseman if neither is good to go.

Isnt Breen still up? The roster spot was made by putting Glencross on IR. Thats why Im questioning bringing up a defenseman.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Isnt Breen still up? The roster spot was made by putting Glencross on IR. Thats why Im questioning bringing up a defenseman.
Yes Breen is still up, but you aren't getting it.

The Flames were carrying 14 forwards and 7 defensemen. One forward and one defensemen were injured. Russell's injury leaves us with no extra bodies on the blueline if there is further injury or illness before the next game. With Glencross's injury it means we still have either Blair Jones or TJ Galiardi as an extra forward if there is further injury or illness prior to our next game.

If a defenseman was not recalled then what would we do if someone gets hurt in practice or falls ill? Would you be comfortable running with 5 defensemen?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yes Breen is still up, but you aren't getting it.

The Flames were carrying 14 forwards and 7 defensemen. One forward and one defensemen were injured. Russell's injury leaves us with no extra bodies on the blueline if there is further injury or illness before the next game. With Glencross's injury it means we still have either Blair Jones or TJ Galiardi as an extra forward if there is further injury or illness prior to our next game.

If a defenseman was not recalled then what would we do if someone gets hurt in practice or falls ill? Would you be comfortable running with 5 defensemen?

Ya I do get it thanks. My question still stands. If Russell is going to be out for awhile then he should be on the IR as well. We know Glencross is out for a decent amount of time, why not call up a forward to replace him. If Jones or Galiardi are not going to play then they need to be sent down or moved. There are too many guys on the Heat that deserved to be called up to be wasting roster spots on players who dont have a future here or on players who are injured.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ya I do get it thanks. My question still stands. If Russell is going to be out for awhile then he should be on the IR as well. We know Glencross is out for a decent amount of time, why not call up a forward to replace him. If Jones or Galiardi are not going to play then they need to be sent down or moved. There are too many guys on the Heat that deserved to be called up to be wasting roster spots on players who dont have a future here or on players who are injured.
He may not be "out a while". If you are placed on IR you must remain out of the lineup for 7-10 days, what if he is only expected to miss 1 or 2 games? So the Flames did what they should have done. Call up a defenseman so they have a serviceable extra body at both forward and defense. In a day or 2 they will know if Russelll with be good to play or go on IR, at which time they can either send Smith back down or call up a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad