Derek Roy or Oleg Saprykin

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
I would go with Sappy since I have seen him play more. Each year is he playing more and improving each year with the more ice time he gets. Also, Roy is too small for my liking. Unless you have raw talent like Fleury, you ain't gonna do much at 5'9".

Big Deaner

Mar 6, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Patrick - Flames said:
I would go with Sappy since I have seen him play more. Each year is he playing more and improving each year with the more ice time he gets. Also, Roy is too small for my liking. Unless you have raw talent like Fleury, you ain't gonna do much at 5'9".

Saprykin has got a pretty decent skill set buy I think Roy is the better prospect. Reminds me of Gilmour.

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
Patrick - Flames said:

if numbers speak to talent, then i think you have the wrong lead on roy.

*this year in the ahl, he was 9-14-23 in 23 games as a rookie before the call up
*and in his last year of junior, he was 28-50-78 in 49 games.
*and in that junior season, memorial cup mvp, with 9-23-32 in 21 games.

i like saprykin. i see a lot of him living in calgary. but he's an enigma. sometimes he's involved and productive. but more often than not, he wanders in the offensive zone taking shots an any opportunity without really thinking the play. roy is a safer prospect who's development will exceed saprykin's, imo.

and the size argument is played. look no further than martin st louis for this year's example of another smallish player putting up numbers.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Omniscient Gadfly said:
if numbers speak to talent, then i think you have the wrong lead on roy.

*this year in the ahl, he was 9-14-23 in 23 games as a rookie before the call up
*and in his last year of junior, he was 28-50-78 in 49 games.
*and in that junior season, memorial cup mvp, with 9-23-32 in 21 games.

i like saprykin. i see a lot of him living in calgary. but he's an enigma. sometimes he's involved and productive. but more often than not, he wanders in the offensive zone taking shots an any opportunity without really thinking the play. roy is a safer prospect who's development will exceed saprykin's, imo.

and the size argument is played. look no further than martin st louis for this year's example of another smallish player putting up numbers.

#1 Minor hockey is way different than NHL hockey. So far being called up Roy has 12 points in 34 games. That is quite a change from his minor numbers. Liek I said NHL hockey is different.

#2 Sappy plays on a MUCH more defensive minded team. His points would be higher ona team like the Canucks and their playing style.

#3 With St Louis, like I said if you are small you better have RAW TALENT. in St Louis minor career he was a HOBBY BAKER award finalist. He also holds a few point total records. St Louis has a ton more skill than Roy and his minor career blew away Roy. Like I said, if you small you better be extremely skilled. Roy past shows he doesn't have the same skill as St Louis. Bad comparison.

KariyaIsGod*

What?

Derek's minor league stats have been phenominal. Not to mention his scoring is likely to increase as he gains experience. He also brings a ton more to the table than scoring.

1999-00 Kitchener Rangers OHL 66 34 53 87 44
2000-01 Kitchener Rangers OHL 65 42 39 81 114
2001-02 Kitchener Rangers OHL 62 43 46 89 92
2002-03 Kitchener Rangers OHL 49 28 50 78 73 Playoffs - 21 9 23 32 14
2003-04 Rochester Americans AHL 23 9 14 23 20 G A P PIM

Saprykin's NHL stats are nto a whole lot better than Roy's although Roy has played very few games, but I would guess that by the time Derek plays 177 games, he'll score 72 points.

He's also brings leadership and excellent defensive play to the table.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
KariyaIsGod said:
What?

Derek's minor league stats have been phenominal. Not to mention his scoring is likely to increase as he gains experience. He also brings a ton more to the table than scoring.

1999-00 Kitchener Rangers OHL 66 34 53 87 44
2000-01 Kitchener Rangers OHL 65 42 39 81 114
2001-02 Kitchener Rangers OHL 62 43 46 89 92
2002-03 Kitchener Rangers OHL 49 28 50 78 73 Playoffs - 21 9 23 32 14
2003-04 Rochester Americans AHL 23 9 14 23 20 G A P PIM

Saprykin's NHL stats are nto a whole lot better than Roy's although Roy has played very few games, but I would guess that by the time Derek plays 177 games, he'll score 72 points.

He's also brings leadership and excellent defensive play to the table.

Like I said Sappy plays for a defense minded team. The same happened to St Louis who was brought up playing defense first. Sutter makes sure guys think defense first THAN offense.

On the side note, like I said if you are small you better have raw talent. In 1995-65 year St Louis was at 85 points in 35 games. He was also a finalist for the hobby baker award 3 times. Roy may indeed have talent but it is a huge step to the NHL and if you don't have the size to keep up to the level you better have talent like St Louis, Theo Fleury, etc.

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
Patrick - Flames said:
Like I said Sappy plays for a defense minded team. The same happened to St Louis who was brought up playing defense first. Sutter makes sure guys think defense first THAN offense.

On the side note, like I said if you are small you better have raw talent. In 1995-65 year St Louis was at 85 points in 35 games. He was also a finalist for the hobby baker award 3 times. Roy may indeed have talent but it is a huge step to the NHL and if you don't have the size to keep up to the level you better have talent like St Louis, Theo Fleury, etc.

Sappy plays for a defensive minded team...What do you think Buffalo is? I cant believe there is still people out there who are against the smaller players....There are handfuls of players who are small and have really good careers. Just becuase a player is under 6 foot doesnt mean they are going to suck when the get to the nhl.

Besides the point I take Roy. The guy captained his team in juniors,winning the memorial cup with them gaining the m.v.p. He was one of the leaders in the a.h.l. in points before he got called up to Buffalo. This kid has leadership written all over him and could very well be our replacement for Peca

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Roy has obviously developed a little quicker than Saprykin.

I'd still say Saprykin's upside is a couple notches higher and for that reason I'd probably stick with him.

Saprykin's upside is higher in my opinion, but I doubt he hits it. He does in flashes, but not consistently.

Roy is fresher and has developed better so far, so I'd chose him.

Hitman*

With Roy, you know what you're gonna get. A guy who works his ass off night in, night out, who might get the odd goal. Not a superstar, but a player every team woul love to have.

With Sappy, its different. he's far more sporadic and unpredictable, however, he does have far greater upside.

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
Patrick - Flames said:
#1 Minor hockey is way different than NHL hockey. So far being called up Roy has 12 points in 34 games. That is quite a change from his minor numbers. Liek I said NHL hockey is different.

#2 Sappy plays on a MUCH more defensive minded team. His points would be higher ona team like the Canucks and their playing style.

#3 With St Louis, like I said if you are small you better have RAW TALENT. in St Louis minor career he was a HOBBY BAKER award finalist. He also holds a few point total records. St Louis has a ton more skill than Roy and his minor career blew away Roy. Like I said, if you small you better be extremely skilled. Roy past shows he doesn't have the same skill as St Louis. Bad comparison.

i wasn't necessarily implying that derek roy is comparable to martin st louis. i was just trying to rebuke the popular opinion that small players cant manage the nhl game.

take nj, for example. one of the hottest top lines in the nhl of late has been gionta (5'7); gomez (5'11); and elias. these guys have played the top defenders every nite and are still productive.

naturally, roy's nhl stats won't be comparable to his junior stats as he learns the nhl game. but whose ever are? it is extremely rare. martin st louis was afforded the luxury of honing his game in the ahl, where he excelled. as a small player, roy could probably benefit from a similar development environment. but here he is, a rookie pro, being used in key situations and putting up decent numbers. even at this stage, i think he's more important to the sabres than saprikyn is to the flames. and i believe this will continue to be the case.

required a major adjustment period and honed his game in the ahl roy has stepped in as a rookie pro and is putting up decent points, and being put on the ice in key situations.

TVanek26*

Patrick - Flames said:

:confused:

Buffalo has scored......10 more goals then Calgary this season.Roy centers the one of the fastest and and exciting lines in the NHL.He plays good defense and is only getting 3rd line minutes.I think both will be pretty decent but I would take Roy,even without my Homer Goggles.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Roy has obviously developed a little quicker than Saprykin.

I'd still say Saprykin's upside is a couple notches higher and for that reason I'd probably stick with him.

"Developed quicker"? You say that as if they broke into the league at the same time and Roy simply made the smoother transition. Saprykin has played in 178 NHL games. Roy has played in 34. Considering the significant role Roy has already inherited, I'd give him the slight edge.

Wait, Roy just scored. :)

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Takeo21 said:
"Developed quicker"? You say that as if they broke into the league at the same time and Roy simply made the smoother transition. Saprykin has played in 178 NHL games. Roy has played in 34. Considering the significant role Roy has already inherited, I'd give him the slight edge.

Wait, Roy just scored. :)

You do realize Oleg started in the NHL at age 19? Didn't really help his development.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I really like Derek Roy.

This is a tough one for a lot of people because as someone said, it depends what you are looking for. With Roy, you know what you are going to get, where with Saprykin, well he's a bit of a wildcard.

I'd personally take Roy. He's got a ton of heart, he's a great all around player and IMO he's skilled enough to be a second liner for sure.

TVanek26*

Roy looked good tonight.Got 2 goals,played some very good defense and was exciting tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->