Derek Roy or Alexei Kaigorodov

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Roy: (2nd Line duty with PP and some PK minutes)

When Roy was called up he was playing on the 4th line and the Sabres really don't have conventionally labeled lines. I don't think it's neccesarily fair to say he was playing 2nd line duty, he was often used defensively. There was a stretch towards the middle/end of the season where he was arguably the Sabres best forward.

The +/- doesn't mean all that much as nearly everyone on Ottawa had a great rating. Roy's a great defensive center, an agitator, a consistent offensive contributer, and likely a future captain. Vermette is a great young player, but considering they're similar defensively and Roy is much more dynamic offensively, I don't think you can really say that Vermette is better now, especially considering Roy was a force in the postseason while Vermette was a no show.

Wouldn't Mike Fisher be the best comparison anyways?

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
With a statement like that, proves to me that you are someone who obviously dislikes the senators.

to say that Roy at this point is better, is like saying Alexandre Daigle is better then Gaborik. Its that far off. When you consider ALL factors that make a speedy offensive player who they are, Vermette takes the crown easily. Vermette has Roy beat when it comes to Heart, because I dont think I've ever seen Vermette dive, ever, and this is after watching every single game for the past two years.
Here is each players stat tally for the past year:

Vermette: (Played 2nd and 4th line duty, with PK minutes)
GP: 82
G: 21
A: 12
PTS: 33
+/-: +17

Roy: (2nd Line duty with PP and some PK minutes)
GP: 70
G: 18
A: 28
PTS: 46
+/-: +1

As for Offensive prowess, Roy obviously has Vermette beat, due to the amount of assists. and this is not to put Roy down. He has impressive numbers for a Sophomore. Granted, Vermette put up more goals, with 21, and a better +/-, but stats are stats, and Roy put up more. Yet the biggest tell tale sign in my oppinion is Shot Percentage, with Roys being at 11.92% whereas Vermettes at 17.07%.

IMO Vermette is a better player at this point, overall.

Roy didn't play all that much PP. +/- is one of the most useless stats in the history of the game - everybody on the Sens had amazing +/-, it means nothing to how well they play defensively (Chris Drury was -11, so, by your logic, he is horrible in his own zone). Roy is grittier and has much more heart than Vermette; Roy also showed up for the playoffs. The diving is exaggerated. Vermette did score 3 more goals (ooo), but Roy scored 18 in 70 games. If Roy played 82 like Vermette he would have scored 26. You couldn't say Roy played on the 2nd line - the 4 lines were basically interchangable (technically Afinogenov played on the 3rd line). Roy put up 13 more pts. in 12 less games, is a much grittier player then Vermette, and performed in the playoffs, and you are arguing that saying Roy is better than Vermette is like saying Daigle is better than Gaborik? :biglaugh:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Roy is grittier and has much more heart than Vermette; Roy also showed up for the playoffs.

If having heart and leadership means you have to embarass your team by diving all over the place, you're right, Roy has Vermette beat easily.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
If having heart and leadership means you have to embarass your team by diving all over the place, you're right, Roy has Vermette beat easily.

Right because diving just cancels out heart and embarasses the WHOLE team.

That's crap...the whole Sabres team had heart and maybe you should know that Roy was a former captain....

mattlef

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto, ON
www.youtube.com
Roy didn't play all that much PP. +/- is one of the most useless stats in the history of the game - everybody on the Sens had amazing +/-, it means nothing to how well they play defensively (Chris Drury was -11, so, by your logic, he is horrible in his own zone). Roy is grittier and has much more heart than Vermette; Roy also showed up for the playoffs. The diving is exaggerated. Vermette did score 3 more goals (ooo), but Roy scored 18 in 70 games. If Roy played 82 like Vermette he would have scored 26. You couldn't say Roy played on the 2nd line - the 4 lines were basically interchangable (technically Afinogenov played on the 3rd line). Roy put up 13 more pts. in 12 less games, is a much grittier player then Vermette, and performed in the playoffs, and you are arguing that saying Roy is better than Vermette is like saying Daigle is better than Gaborik? :biglaugh:

I'm saying that when you take everything into consideration, Roy played 2nd line minutes. I'm not discounting his abilities either. I'm saying that In My Oppinion, Vermette is the better out of the two. I'm intitled to mine the same way you are intitled to yours.:banghead:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Right because diving just cancels out heart and embarasses the WHOLE team.

That's crap...the whole Sabres team had heart and maybe you should know that Roy was a former captain....

So was Mike Richards. What's your point? A dive, is a dive, is a dive. And while my team has one of the biggest divers in the league (Forsberg) fact of the matter is that the Buffalo team is consistently guilty of diving. Lindy Ruff had some nerve calling out the Hurricanes team for diving when his team is one of the worst offenders.

With that being said, the league chooses to ignore the issue. And as long as that's the case, the issue of diving will never go away. I guarantee that if you suspend players for diving, it will stop very quickly. As for the actual argument about who will be better, Roy or Kaigorodov, offensively, Kaigorodov will probably be the better player. As for a leadership/grit kind of player, if Roy stops the stupid diving and plays the hockey that he can play, he should be the better player, hands down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad