Player Discussion Derek Grant Appreciation Thread

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Sign him for 1 million at most per year for 2 years shouldn't be a problem.
I'm as pleased as anybody with how well he has done. But you just don't rush into signing guys like this, this early. Let's see how he does over 82 games and let's see where the team is this summer. If it makes sense at that time, then by all means sign him. Bob should handle him the same way he handled the Rev who had a very good first season for us.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
yeah, IMO, it's a mistake to sign him right now, unless he's on board with just taking something like 800k x 2. He's obviously been better than we all thought, but he's also in positions where he shouldn't be.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
What happened to our shiny new toy?! He’s at 1,1 -9... in his last 10 games. Holy cow. Since we got smoked in Chicago, he’s been in the doghouse. Ice time cut nearly in half

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I never expected his numbers to stay remotely consistent to what they were, but I didn't expect him to drop off this much. He's been awful the last few games I've watched. I thought Rasmussen and Shaw were bother better than him last game, and that's saying something.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
What happened to our shiny new toy?! He’s at 1,1 -9... in his last 10 games. Holy cow. Since we got smoked in Chicago, he’s been in the doghouse. Ice time cut nearly in half
Well it's not really a surprise, the guy has been a fringe NHL player his whole career to date and not many players suddenly taking a huge leap forward when they are 27 years old. People who were penciling him as a 3c this season based on his start to the season were getting way ahead of themselves, he still has to prove he can be a good 4th line NHL player let alone a 3rd liner.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Vermy has taken an increased role so they essentially switched. Sad to see a bonafide #1 center having a slump :sarcasm:
In any case, he is a great signing, I hope he finds a way to produce in this reduced role.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ritchie has looked good lately and with his upside should always be in but Roy and Shaw are horrible

Roy is horrible in the defensive zone, he’s pretty good with the puck on his stick in the attacking zone though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Ritchie has looked good lately and with his upside should always be in but Roy and Shaw are horrible
I mean good is prob an overstatement... hes been 4th line quality... which I suppose is good for him at this point. Shaw is just awful... he really brings nothing to the team, at least Ritchie brings hitting. roy is good when he has the puck on his stick and in the offensive zone but not good defensively.

I don't mind Ritchie playing on the 4th line as a grinder/checker but we drafted him to be a power forward and id hope the team is trying to figure out how to get more out of him offensively.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Roy has 6 goals in limited time.

He is anything but horrible compared to some of the forwards on this team

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Roy has 6 goals in limited time.

He is anything but horrible compared to some of the forwards on this team

He’s very good in the offensive zone but he does lose a lot of battles in the d zone and often gets lost positionally. He’s still a bit raw and needs a lot of work but he has been decent enough so far.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I for one will be really disappointed if we don't re-sign him. He's been one of our few sure things on that 4th line and he really stepped up to the plate when everyone went down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad