Denver Post with the hottest of takes on Avs vs Preds

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Imagine making a thread about an article written by Kiszla and taking it seriously

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Honestly the Avalanches are playing and forechecking aggressively ... and all credit to them for this. They are destructuring the Pred's game. On the other side the preds have been playing like they are playing for the cup and so have to save energy and avoid injuries as if they had 14 more games.. Avs have played as if it was their last game .

If Nashville isn't playing as well as they could ... it is because of the Avs !!! give them credit.
i go for a nashville in 6 or 7 !! not less.

ahhh ! and i come as a cool guest of your board and with all respect for the fans of a team i highly respect.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Colorado is exposing Nashville as... beatable.

So what? It's the NHL. No team is invincible. I tip my hat to the Avs though, they're putting up a helluva fight. This may go to 7 games.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
You inherited a team that Quebec built. Superstars able to be signed indefinitely due to an uncapped league. We got an expansion franchise with guys who were NHL journeymen/perma scratches for the most part. Our owners also tried to sell our team to Canada and jettisoned all of our top talent for nothing to save payroll. Not exactly comparing apples to apples. Very small window? Pretty much the Preds entire core is on long term contracts and reasonably young. Rinne is the only aging piece and Saros is a competent replacement. Preds will be competitive for a minute.

So what happens if Vegas wins the championship this season? Its a very real possibility and they did it the same way as Nashville had the opportunity to do, so the "hard way" that you're implying is working out just fine for them.

The team we inherited obviously gets credit for the 95-96 championship but a lot of things changed for the 2000-2001 championship and a lot of trades needed to be made to make that happen, Borque / Blake etc. Why shouldn't Colorado get credit for that one? What about all the other conference championship seasons when the team changed so much. Is it because we inherited the GM too? Or does that just not fit your narrative?

By this logic, no other franchise in the league should get credit other than the original 6 and perhaps a few more over the years. Should the Tampa Bay Lightning not get any credit because the team they built was by Yzerman who was "inherited" from the Red Wings. Should Toronto not get any credit if they win under Babcock because they "inherited" him from the Redwings? You could litterally go on and on providing examples of players / personal / front office / coaches that went on to win somewhere else. That doesn't make them "inherited" or the wins any less meaningful to the city.

Denver is also a sports city with it being the only major city west of the Mississippi to have ALL FOUR (ALL 5 if you count soccer) major sports teams other than Dallas, and now Los Angeles. We also have championships in other sports. How many other sports teams and thus, sporting championships does Nashville have? Last I checked you were short on both.

List of U.S. cities by number of professional sports championships - Wikipedia

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This coming on the heels of his ridiculous analysis of the Ryan "the Ripper" Johansen hit on Tyson Barrie. He seems to be hamming it up more than normal; my best guess is that he and his overseers are trying to distract from the Ringer's blunt overview of the Post's downhill slide that dropped today.
Unlike the kizla article that started this thread, this is worth reading. Even for non-denver people.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
So what happens if Vegas wins the championship this season? Its a very real possibility and they did it the same way as Nashville had the opportunity to do, so the "hard way" that you're implying is working out just fine for them.

The team we inherited obviously gets credit for the 95-96 championship but a lot of things changed for the 2000-2001 championship and a lot of trades needed to be made to make that happen, Borque / Blake etc. Why shouldn't Colorado get credit for that one? What about all the other conference championship seasons when the team changed so much. Is it because we inherited the GM too? Or does that just not fit your narrative?

By this logic, no other franchise in the league should get credit other than the original 6 and perhaps a few more over the years. Should the Tampa Bay Lightning not get any credit because the team they built was by Yzerman who was "inherited" from the Red Wings. Should Toronto not get any credit if they win under Babcock because they "inherited" him from the Redwings? You could litterally go on and on providing examples of players / personal / front office / coaches that went on to win somewhere else. That doesn't make them "inherited" or the wins any less meaningful to the city.

Denver is also a sports city with it being the only major city west of the Mississippi to have ALL FOUR (ALL 5 if you count soccer) major sports teams other than Dallas, and now Los Angeles. We also have championships in other sports. How many other sports teams and thus, sporting championships does Nashville have? Last I checked you were short on both.

List of U.S. cities by number of professional sports championships - Wikipedia
I stopped reading when you compared Nashville and Vegas expansions because I just assumed everything else you posted was equally idiotic.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Unlike the kizla article that started this thread, this is worth reading. Even for non-denver people.
Agreed but lets not forget that the "Denver Post" is hardly alone.

First, its owned by an investment firm - along with 27 (or so) other "newspapers" across the country. What do investment firms care about? I promise you its not journalism.

Second, this kind of thing could be said about any and every newspaper across this country of ours, because the medium has simply changed too much and social media has caused print media to become tabloids if they want to have any kind of relevancy. Some have been able to transition over to the digital sphere better than others.

Third, and finally - the Denver Post being a mess that recently fired another 37 (or so) of their remaining skeleton crew isn't the exception, its the norm. Its where this business has been going for some time. The fact that they are even around at all says something. That doesn't mean there isn't still great sports journalism being done in Denver, it's just being done on the internet.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Agreed but lets not forget that the "Denver Post" is hardly alone.

First, its owned by an investment firm - along with 27 (or so) other "newspapers" across the country. What do investment firms care about? I promise you its not journalism.

Second, this kind of thing could be said about any and every newspaper across this country of ours, because the medium has simply changed too much and social media has caused print media to become tabloids if they want to have any kind of relevancy. Some have been able to transition over to the digital sphere better than others.

Third, and finally - the Denver Post being a mess that recently fired another 37 (or so) of their remaining skeleton crew isn't the exception, its the norm. Its where this business has been going for some time. The fact that they are even around at all says something. That doesn't mean there isn't still great sports journalism being done in Denver, it's just being done on the internet.

That's why I said it was a good read even for non-denver people. It's a good look at the problems with the industry at large.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I stopped reading when you compared Nashville and Vegas expansions because I just assumed everything else you posted was equally idiotic.
Well I'll just give you the gist. Nashville has zero championships in any sports and isn't even a sports city

Denver has all 5 major sports with championships in 3 of them, and 3 other championships besides in 3 sports that could be considered.

Nobody in Denver gives two shits that people living in a non-sports city thinks they don't "deserve" the two hockey championships we have because we "inherited" them. Which isn't even a logical argument for the 2nd of those 2 championships.

We're all too busy smoking our legal marijuana, which is all we do in this town, obviously.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Well I'll just give you the gist. Nashville has zero championships in any sports and isn't even a sports city

Denver has all 5 major sports with championships in 3 of them, and 3 other championships besides in 3 sports that could be considered.

Nobody in Denver gives two ****s that people living in a non-sports city thinks they don't "deserve" the two hockey championships we have because we "inherited" them. Which isn't even a logical argument for the 2nd of those 2 championships.

We're all too busy smoking our legal marijuana, which is all we do in this town, obviously.
I like how I respond to one loser who is trolling Preds fans on history and you get your panties in such a bunch. You don't seem like you are smoking much of that legal reefer.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
And I definitely agree - I just feel like that article is singling out a single newspaper where this is a problem and people reading it may not realize the same things might apply to their own hometown paper.

It doesn't make this article any less valid, its absolutely valid and something people in Denver have known about the Post for a long time. I don't really know anyone who actually takes it seriously especially concerning sports.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And I definitely agree - I just feel like that article is singling out a single newspaper where this is a problem and people reading it may not realize the same things might apply to their own hometown paper.

It doesn't make this article any less valid, its absolutely valid and something people in Denver have known about the Post for a long time. I don't really know anyone who actually takes it seriously especially concerning sports.

It's fair to point out that this problem is ubiquitous in the industry, but I didn't feel like the article was making it out like this was something unique to the DP :dunno:

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I like how I respond to one loser who is trolling Preds fans on history and you get your panties in such a bunch. You don't seem like you are smoking much of that legal reefer.
How could I not be? Its all anyone in Denver does. Its literally the only thing we are known for.

Which should have you worried, because what do you think Ryan Johansen, PK and Pekka are doing right now? Thats right. Taking advantage of our tourist attractions. :P

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
It's fair to point out that this problem is ubiquitous in the industry, but I didn't feel like the article was making it out like this was something unique to the DP :dunno:
Perhaps not, but I do feel as though this thread has been singling out the Denver Post and Kiszla. People even glossed over the Nashville pundit that took Barrie's words out of context on twitter and just jumped on the Kiszla article - who deserved it, true - but this world we live in has a Kiszla in every corner.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I watched game three and I was embarrassed second-hand by the Avs announce crew. It was like listening to high school football announcers. I knew it was that way in the 90s ("ANOTHER RIGHT BY WAH") but I had figured a long spell at the bottom would create some objectivity and humility. Is this like a Denver thing? Is this what being a 'good sports city' does to people?

If you told me drunken Randy Marsh was doing color for the Avs, I'd believe it.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I watched game three and I was embarrassed second-hand by the Avs announce crew. It was like listening to high school football announcers. I knew it was that way in the 90s ("ANOTHER RIGHT BY WAH") but I had figured a long spell at the bottom would create some objectivity and humility. Is this like a Denver thing? Is this what being a 'good sports city' does to people?

This doesn’t exactly sound like a negative. Personally I think the overly homer announcers are hilarious. Haynes’ score thing makes me laugh every time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

That’s why this out of town Avs fan loves him :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Perhaps not, but I do feel as though this thread has been singling out the Denver Post and Kiszla. People even glossed over the Nashville pundit that took Barrie's words out of context on twitter and just jumped on the Kiszla article - who deserved it, true - but this world we live in has a Kiszla in every corner.

I mean it is a thread about Kizla rather than the industry as a whole :dunno:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Those years were disregarded because he specifically referenced a Cup. Something Colorado hasn't won since 2000-1. Which was just after Nashville came into the league and, when referencing Nashville success, the only thing that should matter is what has occurred in the league since Nashville joined. Not what happened back at a time period when people who are currently young adults can barely remember (if at all).
So just because you are a young adult and don't remember when the Avs were good, we're all just supposed to forget and disregard that the Avs were one of the most dominant teams for a 10 year stretch in the mid 90s through the mid 2000s?

That has to be one of the worst excuses I've ever heard. History is there for a reason. Are we supposed to say Toronto is trash franchise because they haven't won a Stanley Cup since 1967? The answer is a resounding, no. They are still one of the storied franchises in the league that has won 13 Stanley Cups.

Just because we've been bad the past 10ish seasons, doesn't take away the fact that we won 2 Stanley Cups, it doesn't take away that we own the record most consecutive division championships (9 in a row) of all the 4 major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL), It doesn't take away the 6 conference championships we played in. We hit levels of dominance that Nashville can only dream about.

The fact that Nashville came into the league in 98-99 doesn't make all accomplishments that happened before that time mute. The hockey world does not revolve around Nashville, there was 80ish years of NHL hockey before that, that you can't just ignore because you don't remember it.

If you want to compare who has accomplished more since the Preds came into the league it's still the Avs, as our Cup totals are 1 to 0 since 98-99. Just because you've been able to maintain squeaking into the playoffs and losing 1st or 2nd round most years doesn't make you more accomplished. The only thing anyone remembers is who won the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: AMDZen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad