Denver Post with the hottest of takes on Avs vs Preds

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Jack edwards is surprisingly enthusiastic when the other team scores
Its not surprising, hes been an announcer on National TV before. Hes really only a huge homer during the physical stuff (fights and hits).

He and Brickley are also one of the few local broadcasts that actually gives credit/compliments to the other team if they are playing well

Reactions: powerstuck

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
The writer takes so many shots at the city of Nashville. Is there a personal reason or something? It’s a real turn-off and erases any credibility the writer may have had.
He is from Nashville. His GF must have cheated on him in high school or something, who knows.

BigVegas17

Mar 4, 2018
Having lived in Denver for 20 years, I can share with tons of context that Kiszla is widely panned as an absolute joke and nobody with more than a few ounces of common sense in this town gives anything he says or writes a second thought.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There's a difference between favoring the home team and sounding like you're gonna hang yourself when the opponent scores.

Congratulations, you found one clip of the Avs announcers sounding upset at the opposing team scoring.

I promise you, if you look for every announcer, you will find the exact same thing for every team. This isn't an Avs-exclusive thing as much as you want to make it out to be.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Congratulations, you found one clip of the Avs announcers sounding upset at the opposing team scoring.

I promise you, if you look for every announcer, you will find the exact same thing for every team. This isn't an Avs-exclusive thing as much as you want to make it out to be.

Unfortunately this is a compilation clip, lol.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Its not surprising, hes been an announcer on National TV before. Hes really only a huge homer during the physical stuff (fights and hits).

He and Brickley are also one of the few local broadcasts that actually gives credit/compliments to the other team if they are playing well

Must be why everyone hates JE.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I can’t even imagine what he wrote about Detroit back in the Wings-Avs tivalry heyday
Anything to generate controversy, regardless of side. Don't ever expect an authentic position from Kiz.

The Rockies have had nothing to do with him for years after he got caught pulling a pill bottle out of a players' locker. Greg Zanon nearly decapitated him because he stepped on the logo in the Avs locker room. He wrote a column supporting Mark Crawford's outrage that Canuckledheads latched onto... so water finding its own level there.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Was this written by the Avs play by play guys? Because if yes, that wouldn't surprise me at all. They're horrendous with the homerism.

It's 2018, if people don't know this already and accept it then just give in. Avs fans are fine with it. Altitude is owned by Kroenke. Kroenke owns the Avs. Therefore, is it really that big of a surprise that the announcers representing the Avs are Avs fans?

Also, yes the DP is atrocious. It's like feeding Eklund when you make a big deal out of their stuff.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Haynes is known for it, though. More so than most other regional play-by-play guys.

There's a reason that one clip of the OT goal against the Avs gets replayed so often. Find me another announcer who called an opposing goal like that.

"Scores."

:laugh:

Reactions: AvsGuy

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Nashville definitely doesn't have any cups. They also haven't sucked badly enough to have 6 top 10 picks in the last 10 years. 4 top 5 picks in that span. They've been a decently consistent franchise over the past 15 years in regards to making the playoffs and are now set up to be pretty competitive for the next few years. I'd definitely prefer the Nashville path from 2001 - 2018 vs. the Colorado path if I were that writer.

(Avs fans - Not anything meant as a jab towards you. It's more towards the idiot click bait writer, who is still living back in the glory days when he probably still rocked a pager. I admittedly did not click.)
First of all the writer of this "Story" is a clown show, everyone in Denver knows it. He doesn't even know the Avs exist until they make the playoffs, then he pretends he knows everything. So everything he writes about hockey needs to be taken with a grain of salt, it's just trash journalism.

But I do love how you basically disregard the years of 1995-2006 for the Avalanche where we won 2 Cups and made 6 conference finals. I'll take those years over anything Nashville has ever done. Even it meant that we'd be a poor team for 10+ years.

Nashville in the 19 years since they entered the league has made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs all of 4 times and has only been past that point 1 time. Not really mind blowing stats. If you ask me that is the definition of average. Just good enough to make the playoffs but never do anything once there.

At the end of the day it's really a tale of would you rather be slightly above average consistently or would you like to be elite for 11 years and then have to be miserable for the next 10? I think most people would rather win something and then suck than be constantly average.

And honestly you sound like lots of Pred fans around here, that seem genuinely concerned that their window for a championship is very small and you're watching a very young Avs team with key injuries push your team to lengths that you weren't expecting. I think you know that the Avs are a young dangerous team for the future (and it might not happen over night but we are on the rise) and it worries you that we are young and talented. I think Pred fans are also concerned that Winnipeg is also very young and dangerous and is a threat to your reign as best team in the division. And it's quite possible that your reign as the best in the division might be extremely short lived.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Not sure that the Preds window is that small. Other than Rinne all of their key pieces are in their mid 20s

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
First of all the writer of this "Story" is a clown show, everyone in Denver knows it. He doesn't even know the Avs exist until they make the playoffs, then he pretends he knows everything. So everything he writes about hockey needs to be taken with a grain of salt, it's just trash journalism.

But I do love how you basically disregard the years of 1995-2006 for the Avalanche where we won 2 Cups and made 6 conference finals. I'll take those years over anything Nashville has ever done. Even it meant that we'd be a poor team for 10+ years.

Nashville in the 19 years since they entered the league has made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs all of 4 times and has only been past that point 1 time. Not really mind blowing stats. If you ask me that is the definition of average. Just good enough to make the playoffs but never do anything once there.

At the end of the day it's really a tale of would you rather be slightly above average consistently or would you like to be elite for 11 years and then have to be miserable for the next 10? I think most people would rather win something and then suck than be constantly average.

And honestly you sound like lots of Pred fans around here, that seem genuinely concerned that their window for a championship is very small and you're watching a very young Avs team with key injuries push your team to lengths that you weren't expecting. I think you know that the Avs are a young dangerous team for the future (and it might not happen over night but we are on the rise) and it worries you that we are young and talented. I think Pred fans are also concerned that Winnipeg is also very young and dangerous and is a threat to your reign as best team in the division. And it's quite possible that your reign as the best in the division might be extremely short lived.
You inherited a team that Quebec built. Superstars able to be signed indefinitely due to an uncapped league. We got an expansion franchise with guys who were NHL journeymen/perma scratches for the most part. Our owners also tried to sell our team to Canada and jettisoned all of our top talent for nothing to save payroll. Not exactly comparing apples to apples. Very small window? Pretty much the Preds entire core is on long term contracts and reasonably young. Rinne is the only aging piece and Saros is a competent replacement. Preds will be competitive for a minute.

Reactions: LCPreds

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kiszla is a notorious troll for anybody who knows anything about Denver journalism. Best to do is ignore that he exists and stop clicking his articles since all they are, are clickbaits.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Think how many clicks this guy gets on his article simply because it pisses people off.

He knows exactly what he's doing. People fall for it. He's been doing this stuff since the 90s.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Haynes is known for it, though. More so than most other regional play-by-play guys.

There's a reason that one clip of the OT goal against the Avs gets replayed so often. Find me another announcer who called an opposing goal like that.

"Scores."

:laugh:

True but Haynes has been doing that for so long that I don’t get how this is still a big deal to people *shrug* that’s just his thing.

It doesn’t mean that he & McNab haven’t spent most of the past decade praising the opposing teams. They’re excited right now because MacK has became absolutely dominant at home (over a 140 point pace in Denver this season)...and is still pretty f***ing lethal on the road (over a 70 point pace on the road). So they are now able to be overly effusive about our team as well as the opposition.

But it’s not like they’re Ducks or San Jose commentators. I haven’t heard those dudes compliment an av once, and they spend all game whining about the refs. Haynes is just an exciteable puppy with a quirk when calling opposing goals :dunno:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

Those years were disregarded because he specifically referenced a Cup. Something Colorado hasn't won since 2000-1. Which was just after Nashville came into the league and, when referencing Nashville success, the only thing that should matter is what has occurred in the league since Nashville joined. Not what happened back at a time period when people who are currently young adults can barely remember (if at all).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Having lived in Denver for 20 years, I can share with tons of context that Kiszla is widely panned as an absolute joke and nobody with more than a few ounces of common sense in this town gives anything he says or writes a second thought.
I can second this having also lived here for 20 years as an adult. Kiszla Has been embarrassing the entire time, I’ve never met a soul here that takes him seriously. Colorado in general apologizes for him. He has no credibility and does not represent the opinion of anyone in Colorado.

The Av’s announcers should absolutely considered amongst the top non homer duo’s in the league. Period. The Canes guys are pretty good about this too, but most Av’s games they spend at least half the game talking about the other team and gushing about the things they like about them.

Watch the famous Toews goal against the av’s from his rookie year. That’s what they’re like. The play by play guy very quietly and quickly says “and scores” when the other team scores pretty often. It’s the most homer thing they do. Be a little sad when the other team scores.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
You inherited a team that Quebec built. Superstars able to be signed indefinitely due to an uncapped league. We got an expansion franchise with guys who were NHL journeymen/perma scratches for the most part. Our owners also tried to sell our team to Canada and jettisoned all of our top talent for nothing to save payroll. Not exactly comparing apples to apples. Very small window? Pretty much the Preds entire core is on long term contracts and reasonably young. Rinne is the only aging piece and Saros is a competent replacement. Preds will be competitive for a minute.

Well said.

Yeah, Colorado gets credit for their cups because they were officially in Colorado. But it's like if Montreal moved to Nashville tomorrow and Nashville fans saying "Oh...you won a 3rd Stanley Cup Colorado? Talk to us when you get 21 more like the Nashville Canadians have."

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
I honestly have not been impressed with the Preds in a single game. Avs could easily be leading this series. It wouldn't shock me to see this series go 7.

Very true, this is y'all president's trophy winner? lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->