Celebrity Death: Denny Laine 79

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Saw him on the Wings over America tour. He always seemed in a supporting role but he was a good musician.

Reactions: The Electrician

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Wings were popular but are under rated by critics and reviewers. I hope he had a good life.

Reactions: The Electrician

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
It was "Time To Hide" that resulted in me identifying exactly who Denny Laine was. And as for the comment that his was mainly a "supporting rule", I don't agree. He was the key element in the "Wings" part of McCartney & Wings and, since I was actually a bigger fan of McCartney and Wings than I was of the Beatles, that makes Denny Laine very significant for me.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
No sarcasm. I'm sincerely curious about a comment that flies against the overwhelming opinion.
It's simple, at least for me. I just personally like the music more of McCartney & Wings. Now it could just be that I was a teen in the 70s. "Band On The Run" was for several years my favorite album, and "Wings Over America" was also great. And there were various other albums, in between those two and later, that I also really liked. And speaking of Beatles band members solo careers, I was also a big fan of John Lennon's "Shaved Fish", which was a compilation album. There are Beatles songs that I like, for sure, but very few would make my favorite songs of all time list. My favorite is "Come Together".

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
i too also prefer wings over the beatles. and for a brief period the beatles were my favorite band while growing up.

do the beatles have more legendary albums than wings? absolutely. wings only had one studio album in band on the run that could somewhat measure to most of what's in the beatles catalog.

the game changer for me was that live album wings over america and some tv special documentary in the 70's covering that 1976 world tour. i was real mesmerized by what i saw and heard. real good songs and a killer live band. jimmy m and joe english were real underrated. and denny laine is mister versatility. the songs from their studio albums to me sounded way better live. one could even argue that their beatle covers sounded just as good or if not better than the originals. the beatles imho could never play live as well as wings.

the live album was wings' frampton comes alive. obviously wings over america didn't sell as well as frampton alive but then again not many live albums have either for the most part.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's simple, at least for me. I just personally like the music more of McCartney & Wings. Now it could just be that I was a teen in the 70s. "Band On The Run" was for several years my favorite album, and "Wings Over America" was also great. And there were various other albums, in between those two and later, that I also really liked. And speaking of Beatles band members solo careers, I was also a big fan of John Lennon's "Shaved Fish", which was a compilation album. There are Beatles songs that I like, for sure, but very few would make my favorite songs of all time list. My favorite is "Come Together".
We're around the same age. I was alive during the Beatles' decade but too young to care. Band On The Run was one of the first mega-albums I remember hearing on radio and seeing in every record store. I agree it ranks up there with the best of The Beatles, but there are many artists who managed to reach those heights with an individual record. But if we're ranking overall output, neither Wings nor any other artist sustained that elite level quality for as long or with the same range as The Beatles.
i too also prefer wings over the beatles. and for a brief period the beatles were my favorite band while growing up.

do the beatles have more legendary albums than wings? absolutely. wings only had one studio album in band on the run that could somewhat measure to most of what's in the beatles catalog.

the game changer for me was that live album wings over america and some tv special documentary in the 70's covering that 1976 world tour. i was real mesmerized by what i saw and heard. real good songs and a killer live band. jimmy m and joe english were real underrated. and denny laine is mister versatility. the songs from their studio albums to me sounded way better live. one could even argue that their beatle covers sounded just as good or if not better than the originals. the beatles imho could never play live as well as wings.

the live album was wings' frampton comes alive. obviously wings over america didn't sell as well as frampton alive but then again not many live albums have either for the most part.
Wings Over America was pretty awesome. Of course, you can't compare the live sound of John, Paul, George and Ringo to Wings' 9-piece touring ensemble, plus a ton of vocal overdubs Wings did later in the studio. Still, for all the advantages Wings had over the Beatles in their live recordings, it doesn't detract from the performances on WOA. Almost every song – including Beatles tunes – ended up sounding better than the original studio versions.

Live albums are more visceral, so I get why Wing Over America could be more enjoyable than any one Beatles album.

Elvis P

Stop! In the name of love/You can't hurry love
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Wing's albums are very under rated by critics. They didn't make RS's Top 500 albums. Another snubbed album is #500 Arcade Fire's Funeral. It was ranked below albums Suicide's Suicide, The Indestructible Beast of Soweto, and Shakira's Donde Estan los Ladrone.

Reactions: MoreOrr

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
It was "Time To Hide" that resulted in me identifying exactly who Denny Laine was. And as for the comment that his was mainly a "supporting rule", I don't agree. He was the key element in the "Wings" part of McCartney & Wings and, since I was actually a bigger fan of McCartney and Wings than I was of the Beatles, that makes Denny Laine very significant for me.

I loved Time To Hide, and Deliver Your Children, as well as the cover of Richard Corey Laine took the lead on. Medicine Jar by Jimmy McCullough was also a killer rocker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad