Dennis Persson, Chris Summers and Matthew Corrente

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Corrente is the only one of them I've seen on multiple occasions, so I'll only comment on him... and he's an interesting enough case to comment on by himself anyway. Prior to last season, I was thinking of him as a 1st round pick... during last season and culminating in the WU-18, I was expecting him to drop a round or two. Ultimately, the Devils decided he was their man at the end of the first, which surprised me.

He's not a big guy (lists around 5-11/190), but he plays big. Almost too big at times, although I think he has had the seed planted in his mind (with varying degrees of success) that he needs to tone it down and try to play a cooler game. He skates well (I say better forward than in reverse, but sometimes it's hard to judge his reverse gears because he's prone to making bad decisions and putting himself out of the play with mental errors, which sometimes takes away from the chance to appreciate his skating), he also has a really heavy shot. But for the most part I find the word "erratic" to best describe him... in terms of his play in his own zone, his temperament, and the accuracy of his heavy shot. He's a guy you can catch on a good night and really be wowed by all the things he can do packed into that compact body, and other nights (which IMO was frequently the case at the WU-18 last year) you can think he's quite a klutzy, undisciplined, headless chicken syndrome guy on D.

Of course, that's my take only on watching him in the OHL and at the WU-18. Now, you'll hear comments from the Devils fans about the fabulous performance he put in at their training camp. The Devils have a certain well-earned reputation for their fine draft work. So if Corrente looks like a bit of a wildcard in the OHL, but he steps smoothly into his first NHL camp and exhibition schedule looking amazingly poised and capable... well... I'd lean heavily towards believing the Devils know very well what they're doing, they'll figure out the ways (maybe they already have?!) of harnessing all of Corrente's talents and turning him into a fine player. A guy who shoots, skates, and plays with the edge that Corrente does would be a heckuva find if that turned out to be the case.

Ok, and if all that happens and they harness him, I guess the obvious comparison is Chris Chelios... I mean, that's stretching it, obviously, he's very likely not going to win Norris trophies and put up the HUGE numbers Chelios did, of course, but a smaller guy on D, hard as nails, offensive potential, etc. Well, I'm sure there are more appropriate lower-impact comparisons, but the mini-Chelios idea should paint a clear enough picture... assuming Corrente gets his act together, and doesn't have to sacrifice some elements of his style to get there. (It's probably also worth tempering that by noting that the minor leagues are littered with "erratic" players who couldn't be "harnessed" either... in that respect, I think it's an awfully good thing for Corrente's hopes that he's in the Devils organisation.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->