Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ehrhoff was mostly remembered of his huge point-shot which is missing fron Cholo. Weird comparison, imo.

I remember Ehrhoff's passing more than the shot to be honest. He was a terrific passer and a solid two-way D-man. Yes he has a heavier shot than Cholo, then again Cholo has put on 30 lbs of muscle this year, that thing is likely coming along as well.

Not making the WJC isn't the be all end all. He was invited to camp, he has a lot of tools. I just don't really see him topping out as a top 5 d-man in the world. I like the kid a lot, more than a decent amount of our board as I still think he is our best D-man prospect and that is saying something with Hronek in the picture. Still he has some more development to do.

Really what would solidify our back-end is lottery luck. You put Dahlin in and you can pretty happily start slotting our kids into positions with that guy as our monster #1. Makes Cholowski and Hronek big time guys in #2 and #3 roles at sometime. But we will need a lot of luck there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ehrhoff was mostly remembered of his huge point-shot which is missing fron Cholo. Weird comparison, imo.

Mostly remembered as a puck transporter and good skater. Like Cholowski. For me at least.

Though I would agree that Ehrhoff had a better shot than Cholowski projects to have. That would be the biggest difference between the two.

Hard to find a great 1:1 comparable, that was just one that came to kind with the skating/passing ability and similar stature.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
One of the best players in the league? Wow... maybe a little homerism going on here?

I mean if he had this otherworldly hockey IQ why's he on the outside looking in for team Canada, and why wasn't he featured on the PP for SCSU instead of Jack Ahcan?
Seriously. I'm not even ready to say Cholowski is going to be an NHL regular. I can't believe some of what I'm reading on this thread.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Ehrhoff had an absolute rocket but I swear he never, ever hit the net--two feet high and wide was his specialty. I suppose it still created space and movement in the offensive zone, but it would have been so much more effective if he was pummeling goalies with it. He moved the puck well when he wasn't shooting too though, at least after his game had matured.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Did Cholowski not make team Canada? Terrible team selection if true.

Some of their defensemen at the showcase were absolute garbage, Cholowski was one of the better ones in terms of being steady in his own end, composed and a good passer.

No matter, I'm confident that he'll at least be a second pair defenseman at NHL level. Too much skating, puck moving and cerebral ability not to.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Some of their defensemen at the showcase were absolute garbage, Cholowski was one of the better ones in terms of being steady in his own end, composed and a good passer.

No matter, I'm confident that he'll at least be a second pair defenseman at NHL level. Too much skating, puck moving and cerebral ability not to.

The roster hasn't been set, Frk it said he's on the outside looking in at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The roster hasn't been set, Frk it said he's on the outside looking in at this point.

He was selected to the World Junior Summer Showcase, where Canada has 2 teams (Red & White) and evaluates the players to decide who will represent Team Canada in the WJC this winter for their U20 team.

Cholowski outplayed some of the guys who were selected over him in the past, but they tend to keep guys on the team that they have selected in the past.

We will see if he fights his way on, but some early projections I've seen have him not cracking it... but then again that's from Pronman who readily admits he's not really a fan of Cholowski and Rasmussen. As TZE said, Cholowski showed pretty well in the showcase. Kind of depends on if he has a big WHL season, I'm thinking.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yea, it's obviously going to come down to how they perform in the coming season, but I'd agree right now he wouldn't be on the list.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think he will make it on Team Canada for the WJC. Again I think that is their loss and as a USA fan I am not heartbroken because long-term it will have zero impact on Cholowski in terms of the Wings.

Just to highlight another way. The most likely player to make Team Canada for our prospects is Givani Smith. A guy this board just overwhelmingly panned seems penciled in for a fourth line role on that team.

I think Rasmussen has a better chance than Cholowski, but it is on both guys to have a big first half of the year in the WHL. But ultimately I think this tournament doesn't mean much. It is fun to see your big guns go and you can get easier analysis out of it, but NHL teams don't care how a guy looks at the World Juniors, it matters a heck of a lot more how he plays in the AHL and does at camp later on. It can be a confidence launching pad for some players so I get the importance some place on it. But if Rasmussen and Cholowski are tearing apart the WHL while other players represent Canada I am not going to be broken up about it at all.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I don't think he will make it on Team Canada for the WJC. Again I think that is their loss and as a USA fan I am not heartbroken because long-term it will have zero impact on Cholowski in terms of the Wings.

Just to highlight another way. The most likely player to make Team Canada for our prospects is Givani Smith. A guy this board just overwhelmingly panned seems penciled in for a fourth line role on that team.

I think Rasmussen has a better chance than Cholowski, but it is on both guys to have a big first half of the year in the WHL. But ultimately I think this tournament doesn't mean much. It is fun to see your big guns go and you can get easier analysis out of it, but NHL teams don't care how a guy looks at the World Juniors, it matters a heck of a lot more how he plays in the AHL and does at camp later on. It can be a confidence launching pad for some players so I get the importance some place on it. But if Rasmussen and Cholowski are tearing apart the WHL while other players represent Canada I am not going to be broken up about it at all.

While more than likely true

Almost ALL current NHL stars played in the world juniors and more than likely stood out

It's the best tourney for that age level, best on best

Not making the team is a big blow to a top ten drafted player, it's embrassing and should not be brushed aside

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
While more than likely true

Almost ALL current NHL stars played in the world juniors and more than likely stood out

It's the best tourney for that age level, best on best

Not making the team is a big blow to a top ten drafted player, it's embrassing and should not be brushed aside

He was picked later than top 10. He was also a late riser, so he isn't a guy that Hockey Canada has seen a ton of.

Who is arguably the best D-man in the league since Lidstrom retired.... Duncan Keith and he didn't play for Canada at the junior level and was a late riser in terms of his talent.

There are things working against Cholowski that are kind of out of his control in my opinion on the team this year. All he can do is be great in the WHL, he was better than most of his peers this summer and that is all I care about, if Hockey Canada screws that up that is their problem. Hoping to enjoy having back to back Golds as a USA fan, bringing mostly the same defense they have iced in their four consecutive losses to the USA and it looks promising for us again.

Four of the top 10 scoring D-man last year didn't play in the WJC. For the record Burns also played a minimal role for Canada when he was on the team. Whether or not Cholowski suits up for Canada doesn't likely mean much in terms of his future. I am not sure Cholowski is going to be a star, but whether or not he plays for Canada at 19 years old doesn't mean a whole lot to me. What matter is when he was called in he looked like one of their best D-man when playing during the showcase.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
He was picked later than top 10. He was also a late riser, so he isn't a guy that Hockey Canada has seen a ton of.

Who is arguably the best D-man in the league since Lidstrom retired.... Duncan Keith and he didn't play for Canada at the junior level and was a late riser in terms of his talent.

There are things working against Cholowski that are kind of out of his control in my opinion on the team this year. All he can do is be great in the WHL, he was better than most of his peers this summer and that is all I care about, if Hockey Canada screws that up that is their problem. Hoping to enjoy having back to back Golds as a USA fan, bringing mostly the same defense they have iced in their four consecutive losses to the USA and it looks promising for us again.

Four of the top 10 scoring D-man last year didn't play in the WJC. For the record Burns also played a minimal role for Canada when he was on the team. Whether or not Cholowski suits up for Canada doesn't likely mean much in terms of his future. I am not sure Cholowski is going to be a star, but whether or not he plays for Canada at 19 years old doesn't mean a whole lot to me. What matter is when he was called in he looked like one of their best D-man when playing during the showcase.

I should clarify something first

I was talking about Rasmussen when I mentioned a top ten drafted player not at the world juniors

I can't say with certainty but speaking of top ten draftees, over the last ten years(100 players) drafted top ten, how many didn't play in world juniors AND then went on to being impact nhlers?

As for the part about cholo, while I am certain one can refer to Keith as evidence why it dosent matter or using one years scoring totals to define the definition for being a good dman, I would suspect of the top 50 dmen in the league overall more than 3/4 played in the world juniors and that is more than enough evidence for me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I was talking about Rasmussen when I mentioned a top ten drafted player not at the world juniors

I can't say with certainty but speaking of top ten draftees, over the last ten years(100 players) drafted top ten, how many didn't play in world juniors AND then went on to being impact nhlers?

As for the part about cholo, while I am certain one can refer to Keith as evidence why it dosent matter or using one years scoring totals to define the definition for being a good dman, I would suspect of the top 50 dmen in the league overall more than 3/4 played in the world juniors and that is more than enough evidence for me.

Rasmussen has two years to make a WJC team. I wouldn't be surprised if he made it this year, I would be stunned if he is eligible to play next year and doesn't make it. The only reason he wouldn't be is if he is already on the Red Wings.

This is Cholowski's last chance to make it. But the players he would join in terms of missing with high-end offensive ability like him were late risers that sky rocketed up the draft board.

I care more about what these guys do as pros than suiting up for Team Canada at the Junior level. Would much rather see one of these guys be good enough to make the senior team at some point then we are talking big time stuff.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Of last Team Canada Olympic squad, Duncan Keith and Marc-Edouard Vlasic never represented Canada in WJC. That's 2/7 of the defencemen on the team.

There are examples of guys who never represented junior teams and some guys who represented, but never panned out as NHL players. Scott Harrington - Xavier Ouellet was the best pairing for Canada at 2012-13 WJC. First one has tough time to be NHL regular and later one is still fighting for at TOP4 spot.

It's some kind of indicator, but not fact that will 100% sure determine a career.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Of last Team Canada Olympic squad, Duncan Keith and Marc-Edouard Vlasic never represented Canada in WJC. That's 2/7 of the defencemen on the team.

There are examples of guys who never represented junior teams and some guys who represented, but never panned out as NHL players. Scott Harrington - Xavier Ouellet was the best pairing for Canada at 2012-13 WJC. First one has tough time to be NHL regular and later one is still fighting for at TOP4 spot.

It's some kind of indicator, but not fact that will 100% sure determine a career.

Who said anything about 100% indicator.

Man their are alot of straws being grasped at times here.

It's not absolute but it's also not irrelevant.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
From what Tyler Wright was saying, That Cholo might get one or two preseason games in.

Aw ****, but that's probably to be expected. When he is back, I will be able to provide you guys with updates (game-to-game basis or just a recap of his weekend). I am a STH for the PG Cougars - I've been active on the Bruins board for Gabrielle and Buffalo board for Guhle when they played with us. As well as other players that were drafted, that played for us.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

went ahead and looked up top 10 picks from the 2007-2013 drafts that never played in the world juniors(and it wasn't because they were in the NHL),a couple of these players might have been because of injury tough to say but they did all play relatively full seasons at least

only looked at Canadians because it gets messy if you're comparing people trying to make it onto different countries teams and such

Zach Hamill
Logan Couture
Keaton Ellerby
Josh Bailey
Scott Glennie
Dylan Mcilrath
Slater Koekkoek

small sample size but certainly not a promising list to be on,there's a couple success stories in there but they are from the earliest years of it(Couture was 2007 and even Bailey was 2008)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
went ahead and looked up top 10 picks from the 2007-2013 drafts that never played in the world juniors(and it wasn't because they were in the NHL),a couple of these players might have been because of injury tough to say but they did all play relatively full seasons at least

only looked at Canadians because it gets messy if you're comparing people trying to make it onto different countries teams and such

Zach Hamill
Logan Couture
Keaton Ellerby
Josh Bailey
Scott Glennie
Dylan Mcilrath
Slater Koekkoek

small sample size but certainly not a promising list to be on,there's a couple success stories in there but they are from the earliest years of it(Couture was 2007 and even Bailey was 2008)

Woof.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
I remember Ehrhoff's passing more than the shot to be honest. He was a terrific passer and a solid two-way D-man. Yes he has a heavier shot than Cholo, then again Cholo has put on 30 lbs of muscle this year, that thing is likely coming along as well.

Not making the WJC isn't the be all end all. He was invited to camp, he has a lot of tools. I just don't really see him topping out as a top 5 d-man in the world. I like the kid a lot, more than a decent amount of our board as I still think he is our best D-man prospect and that is saying something with Hronek in the picture. Still he has some more development to do.

Really what would solidify our back-end is lottery luck. You put Dahlin in and you can pretty happily start slotting our kids into positions with that guy as our monster #1. Makes Cholowski and Hronek big time guys in #2 and #3 roles at sometime. But we will need a lot of luck there.

Hate to be that guy, but I'm sure he put on 30lbs, not 30lbs of muscle in a year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Zach Hamill
Logan Couture
Keaton Ellerby
Josh Bailey
Scott Glennie
Dylan Mcilrath
Slater Koekkoek

So one, couture..

It is the best, best on best tourney for 19 year old kids. It is important and should not be pish poshed away by anyone.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Aw ****, but that's probably to be expected. When he is back, I will be able to provide you guys with updates (game-to-game basis or just a recap of his weekend). I am a STH for the PG Cougars - I've been active on the Bruins board for Gabrielle and Buffalo board for Guhle when they played with us. As well as other players that were drafted, that played for us.

You guys will have him soon enough. I look forward to your updates. He has apparently had a pretty solid prospects tournament and training camp. It will be interesting to see how his offensive game develops in PG.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
You guys will have him soon enough. I look forward to your updates. He has apparently had a pretty solid prospects tournament and training camp. It will be interesting to see how his offensive game develops in PG.

Well, he will have every opportunity to develop his offensive game in PG. The Cougars are going to miss Guhle sorely, and really need Cholowski to fill that void - and I think he will.

I am expecting to see him in big minutes, in every situation. PG will be a good team for him in those aspects. He won't be stuck behind anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad