Dennis Cholowski signs a 3 year EL Contract

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I was okay with him going there, but guys have left college for junior and been fine.

I am really excited about Cholowski and Hronek. I know a lot of times that is the newest kid on the block deal, but both guys look legit when I have seen them play. Obviously I don't get to see them a lot, but I like what I have seen for sure. They seem to be guys that play the way the league is heading. Fast guys with good puck moving skills that constantly play with their head up. We need those kind of guys to be sure.

For me, opportunities to view either of these prospects have been severely limited, but what I read here concerning this pair (particularly Hronek) is very encouraging...
Having said that, I read a great deal of hype and rave reviews a few years back concerning Sproul and Oullet, and while Oulett seems serviceable, he's not approached the level I would have expected from reading opinions here.
I'm not doubting your assessment or questioning your opinion, just trying to temper the overall level of expectations for this new batch of young D-men, at least until they can show us some of this promise at an AHL or NHL level.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For me, opportunities to view either of these prospects have been severely limited, but what I read here concerning this pair (particularly Hronek) is very encouraging...
Having said that, I read a great deal of hype and rave reviews a few years back concerning Sproul and Oullet, and while Oulett seems serviceable, he's not approached the level I would have expected from reading opinions here.
I'm not doubting your assessment or questioning your opinion, just trying to temper the overall level of expectations for this new batch of young D-men, at least until they can show us some of this promise at an AHL or NHL level.

Ouellet's always came with the caveat that he needed to improve his skating and he didn't. I am pretty sure if you gave Ouellet Sproul's tools and body he would be a top 5 D-man in the world.:laugh:

I get that these guys rarely turn out as we hope. But I like the kind of D-man both of these guys are. They mirror the way the game is changing. They are fluid skaters with very good puck skills, that is the way the blue-lines are trending around the league.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ouellet's always came with the caveat that he needed to improve his skating and he didn't. I am pretty sure if you gave Ouellet Sproul's tools and body he would be a top 5 D-man in the world.:laugh:

I get that these guys rarely turn out as we hope. But I like the kind of D-man both of these guys are. They mirror the way the game is changing. They are fluid skaters with very good puck skills, that is the way the blue-lines are trending around the league.

Let's not act like they don't need work as well.

Cholowski needs to get a whole lot stronger. Hronek needs to work on his defensive game quite a bit.

Dekeyser is 27 and is still getting manhandled physically many nights. Not a guarantee these things will happen.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Are more players coming from the chl or ncaa to the NHL?

The argument of men vs boys is mute if the competition is weaker, the skill is less and the professionalism isn't on par.

Bit of a straw man argument. Even though 16 and 17 year olds are eligible to "play" in the CHL, only elite players in those age groups are logging any significant ice during games. In Chowlowski's 72 game schedule he'll be drawing the toughest matchups in a 19 year old driven league. On average the players he will play against are a bit younger and a bit weaker physically, but they are also on average smarter and more skilled hockey players.

Should also add, he's not eligible for the AHL next season, because ALL Canadian Junior League have the same agreement with the NHL that the CHL does. So he will be WHL or NHL, although I suppose he could go back to BCHL but that's extremely unlikely

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Should also add, he's not eligible for the AHL next season, because ALL Canadian Junior League have the same agreement with the NHL that the CHL does. So he will be WHL or NHL, although I suppose he could go back to BCHL but that's extremely unlikely

Cholowski? He can play in the AHL.
That rule only applies if the player signed a standard CHL contract prior to signing a professional contract. Cholowski signed with Detroit first.

I don't think he is good enough to play in the AHL next season, so that is more likely the reason he'll be in the CHL.

This pick had me irate at the time it was made. Still very nervous this kid will be nothing at all. He'll never be Chychrun and I knew that on draft day... I just hope we can salvage something out of him.

Last edited:

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
That rule only applies if the player signed a standard CHL contract prior to signing a professional contract. Cholowski signed with Detroit first.

I don't think he is good enough to play in the AHL next season, so that is more likely the reason he'll be in the CHL.

This pick had me irate at the time it was made. Still very nervous this kid will be nothing at all. He'll never be Chychrun and I knew that on draft day... I just hope we can salvage something out of him.

Detroit's had really good first round drafting in the last several seasons (Mantha-Larkin-Chevy) so I trust this pick. His skating is supposed to be great, which should get him to the NHL some day. He was also considered raw talent, and at the position he plays, he's obviously going to take longer. A year in the CHL, 2-3 years in the AHL, and then up with the big club.

Everything I've heard, he sounds a bit like Ryan McDonagh.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The reason we're asking questions about Cholowski's AHL eligibility is because there was an article a few years ago where the GM of a CHL team is cited as saying the NHL/CHL Agreement restricting loans to the AHL includes Junior A players.

http://web.archive.org/web/20131002065754/http://heraldnet.com/article/20130816/BLOG12/130819886
It's been a pretty remarkable couple of weeks for the Silvertips, and that continued today with confirmation that 19-year-old power forward Jujhar Khaira will attend Everett's training camp, which begins next Thursday.

Khaira's story has been well documented. Everett acquired his rights during the 2012 bantam draft. He was then a third-round pick by the Edmonton Oilers in the 2012 NHL draft. He chose the NCAA over Everett and had a good freshman season at Michigan Tech in 2012-13, and was expected to return for his sophomore campaign. However, he signed an entry-level contract with the Oilers, thus surrendering his NCAA eligibility. That put him back on Everett's radar.

Well, now it's looking inevitable that Khaira will be suiting up for the Tips this season. Not only will he be attending training camp in Everett, his potential destinations have narrowed. It was originally thought Khaira, because he was an NCAA player, was eligible to play professionally in the minors at 19. However, he wasn't actually drafted out of the NCAA, he was drafted following his season with the BCHL's Prince George Spruce Kings. According to Tips general manager Garry Davidson, the Canadian junior A leagues are subject to the same rules as major junior, meaning players drafted from the BCHL aren't eligible for the minors until they're 20. Therefore, the only places Khaira can play this season are Edmonton or Everett.

In most cases when dozens of articles and media folks express that "The system works like A", then you can be skeptical and dismissive of articles that say "The systems instead works like B". However, in this case the GM of the WHL Everett Silvertips should have complete/superior knowledge of the intricacies of the unpublished NHL/CHL Agreement, where the outside media may not have full knowledge of the Agreement.

The prediction in the article did come to pass. Jujhar Khaira was sent to Everett in the WHL instead of the AHL. So now we have Jost and Cholowski in what appear to be identical situations for 2017-18. Hoping we'll get more clarity on whether they're actually AHL eligible or not.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

You say that because Chych is already a full grown man and was the day he was drafted. I don't see any reason chych can't plateau and Cholo surpass him in a few years. 19 years old isn't peak development for an athlete.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You say that because Chych is already a full grown man and was the day he was drafted. I don't see any reason chych can't plateau and Cholo surpass him in a few years. 19 years old isn't peak development for an athlete.

Well, he could get injured. He may never fill out (some bodies just don't put on muscle ever). He may just not be as talented. He may not have the work ethic. He may quit and become a full time polka dancer.

There are a lot of reasons why he may never surpass Chych. His meh year in the NCAA doesn't lead me to believe that he's a slam dunk prospect by any stretch.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well, he could get injured. He may never fill out (some bodies just don't put on muscle ever). He may just not be as talented. He may not have the work ethic. He may quit and become a full time polka dancer.

There are a lot of reasons why he may never surpass Chych. His meh year in the NCAA doesn't lead me to believe that he's a slam dunk prospect by any stretch.

I never said he would, I think it's possible though.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I found this from the GM of the Cougars who believes the AHL is a possibility for Cholowski.

"The NHL draft has changed his course and he could end up playing for us one day. It all depends on Dennis's opportunities with Detroit and he has the option to go to the American Hockey League as well. Detroit obviously liked him enough to draft him in the first round and they know there's an opportunity for him to come back here if they feel he's not ready for the NHL or AHL."

He has some other positive comments regarding Cholowki that are worth checking out.

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/...ings-prospect-1.15320433#sthash.w6x98Pcv.dpuf

I've honestly never watched the kid but the scouting report and development trajectory remind me of a Colton Parayako. I guess it's only a late growth spurt, Junior A draft status and solid if unspectacular start in the NCAA that they have in common but a guy can dream.

I should mention that I did watch Parayako a bunch in the AJHL ( Junior A). He was good and his last season in Fort McMurray was a notable breakout but he wasn't even my radar as a stud top 4 NHL defenceman

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I found this from the GM of the Cougars who believes the AHL is a possibility for Cholowski.

"The NHL draft has changed his course and he could end up playing for us one day. It all depends on Dennis's opportunities with Detroit and he has the option to go to the American Hockey League as well. Detroit obviously liked him enough to draft him in the first round and they know there's an opportunity for him to come back here if they feel he's not ready for the NHL or AHL."

He has some other positive comments regarding Cholowki that are worth checking out.

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/...ings-prospect-1.15320433#sthash.w6x98Pcv.dpuf

I've honestly never watched the kid but the scouting report and development trajectory remind me of a Colton Parayako. I guess it's only a late growth spurt, Junior A draft status and solid if unspectacular start in the NCAA that they have in common but a guy can dream.

I should mention that I did watch Parayako a bunch in the AJHL ( Junior A). He was good and his last season in Fort McMurray was a notable breakout but he wasn't even my radar as a stud top 4 NHL defenceman

I think it is very, very improbable he starts in Grand Rapids next year.

There will be a serious logjam of defenseman, and I'm pretty sure most of the reason why they got him out of SCSU is so he could be the #1 guy and #1 PPQB somewhere. And that will not be the case in GR, but may well be the case in PG.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think it is very, very improbable he starts in Grand Rapids next year.

There will be a serious logjam of defenseman, and I'm pretty sure most of the reason why they got him out of SCSU is so he could be the #1 guy and #1 PPQB somewhere. And that will not be the case in GR, but may well be the case in PG.

Ultimately, I agree that the Cougars are the most likely outcome but I think the Wings will take an open minded approach on where he plays. It will depend on how camp goes. I don't think the organization will be afraid to reorder the depth chart in Toledo/Grand Rapids If Cholo has a good summer of training and can add some bulk. As is The Red Wing way they would likely plan around him being in the WHL but the organization is not so in love with the Conor Allen's, Patrick McCarron's and Mat Caito's that they couldn't make room for Cholowski should he prove himself AHL worthy.

Quotes like below leave me optimistic that he can be ready to play pro next season with some added bulk.

"Maintains tight gaps and hardly gives puckhandlers any space to make plays. Has grown five inches in the past two years and has developed into a very steady, reliable, and underrated two-way defenceman."

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Ultimately, I agree that the Cougars are the most likely outcome but I think the Wings will take an open minded approach on where he plays. It will depend on how camp goes. I don't think the organization will be afraid to reorder the depth chart in Toledo/Grand Rapids If Cholo has a good summer of training and can add some bulk. As is The Red Wing way they would likely plan around him being in the WHL but the organization is not so in love with the Conor Allen's, Patrick McCarron's and Mat Caito's that they couldn't make room for Cholowski should he prove himself AHL worthy.

Quotes like below leave me optimistic that he can be ready to play pro next season with some added bulk.

I sat front row in DU vs SCSU this year, Cholowski had amazing gap control and rarely lost his man. He was great in scrambles and had a very very active stick. His first pass out of the zone was a bit delayed I thought, he was smart with the puck though, if he had to go off the glass he didn't hesitate, and he did a very good job of retrieval and getting open space to get that crucial moment for the forward corps to separate. DU didn't play overly physical up front so I didn't see him get bodied, the forechecks weren't flying in either so I didn't see how well he handled that type of pressure/contact. Overall I was impressed, he did stand out over the other players in the game in many facets. The one piece I didn't like was the time it took to pull the trigger on the break out passes, but that could be the system and not the player.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That's good news, Cholo seems like a driven individual so it seems his hard work is paying off. Hope he can develop into a great piece.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
It would be a major mistake to keep him in GR... at any weight. He's still got a lot of developing to do, skill-wise. He's never even had a halfway decent season at the major junior/college hockey level. He's incredibly unproven right now. This is going from overripe to underripe. Cholowski didn't stop being a 4 year project just because he gained weight...

And GR has a glut of defensemen already, so they have absolutely no need for him.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Apparently he is up to 196 lbs now, which I had no idea.

With the comments from the SCSU coach last year, I thought he was still very physically underdeveloped.

So I may very well have been wrong in saying he has no shot at Grand Rapids, and is also probably further along in his development than I was thinking.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/07/red_wings_prospect_dennis_chol.html

That's a pretty big jump in weight, glad to see he bulked up. I think he should play in the WHL, join GR after the WHL season is done and really dominate the league first.

I have high hopes for him in the future.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
It would be a major mistake to keep him in GR... at any weight. He's still got a lot of developing to do, skill-wise. He's never even had a halfway decent season at the major junior/college hockey level. He's incredibly unproven right now. This is going from overripe to underripe.

And GR has a glut of defensemen already, so they have absolutely no need for him.

He can develop just fine in GR

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He can develop just fine in GR
Who's he going to beat out that's already on the roster? Hronek? Saarijarvi? Both are significantly better right now. Lashoff? Russo? Renouf? McIlrath? The random vets they've already signed to AHL deals? They have 8 defensemen already.

He's not even a good college level player yet. Weight was not Cholowski's only weakness.

Last edited:

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Who's he going to beat out that's already on the roster? Hronek? Saarijarvi? Both are significantly better right now. Lashoff? Russo? Renouf? The random vets they've already signed to AHL deals? They have 8 defensemen already.

He's not even a good college level player yet. Weight was not Cholowski's only weakness.

Always Toledo too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad