Denis Shvidki

• Thread starter lightning_legwand*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
According to hockeydb.com he played 2004-05 Yaroslav in Russia and this year 2005-06 in Novosibirsk Siber.

Maybe the Panthers got tired of waiting for him to transfer his OHL game over to the NHL? I use to watch the Panthers quite a bit and they gave him a lot of chances to be successful but for some reason he couldn't quite make the big jump. I believe he had a couple injuries that slowed him down as well.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Jazz said:
Correct me if I'm wrong - was he not supposed to be the first Ukrainian star in the NHL?

I think that after 13 seasons and almost 600 points Dimitri Khristich can be considered the first Ukrainan star.

bottleCAPS

Jan 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
A few other Ukrainian hockey players are Nikolai Zherdev and Ruslan Fedotenko. Being of Ukrianian decendence, I usually root for the boys, and had really high hopes for Shvidki. Can't say that the Panthers didn't give him a chance, he was a boom or bust type player and unfortuneatly, he ended up being the latter here in NA.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Skworch said:
On of the Florida reporters from this paper: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/hockey/panthers/ responded to an email enquiry about Shvidki by asking who he was. Sad but true.

Yes, the Sentinel has become a joke. We used to have a great writer Michael Russo, but he moved to Minnesota. This new guy must have just been thrown onto the job because he is absolutely horrible. Misspells players names all the time and is very factually incorrect.

A better option would be http://www.palmbeachpost.com or http://www.miamiherald.com, FYI.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
actually Zherdev, Zhitnik and Shvidki are Russian, and all 3 have represented Russia in IIHF tournaments

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
roshiajin said:
actually Zherdev, Zhitnik and Shvidki are Russian, and all 3 have represented Russia in IIHF tournaments

Zhitnik was born in Kiev. He's represented Russian in the past but in the most recent Olympics he wanted to compete for the Ukrainian team but apparently his previous time with the Russian squad prevented that from happening. I don't know all the details. But I'm sure if you asked Zhitnik, he's call himself Ukrainian.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Zhitnik is still a Russian citizen though, that's why he was able to dress for Ak Bars Kazan last season ... otherwise Heatley, Lecavalier or Salei couldn't have played.

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Ovechkin8 said:
Zhitnik, Zherdev and Fedotenko are all Ukrainian but they've deffered to Russia so they can play internationally.
Being born in Kiev, doesn't make Zherdev a Ukrainian...I was born in Kiev and I'm not Ukrainian...Hell, Ukraine denied me my citizenship...And Zherdev doesn't sound much like a Ukrainian name at all. Fedotenko does, he's 100% Ukrainian. I'm not sure about Zhitnik. If he played for Russia, he must have a Russian citizenship and if he has a Russian one he can't have a Ukrainian. So, there's no chance for Zhitnik to play for Ukraine, even if he wanted, unless he gives up his Russian citizenship.

RJ8812*

Ovechkin8 said:
Zhitnik, Zherdev and Fedotenko are all Ukrainian but they've deffered to Russia so they can play internationally.

Fedotenko hasnt

RJ8812*

Ovechkin8 said:

fedotenko hasnt

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Ovechkin8 said:

we could also say that none of the Canadians are Canadian, and the same could be said for the USA. basically all of the players are sons and grandsons of British, French, Dutch ... immigrants. ;)

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Berkut said:
Being born in Kiev, doesn't make Zherdev a Ukrainian...I was born in Kiev and I'm not Ukrainian...Hell, Ukraine denied me my citizenship...And Zherdev doesn't sound much like a Ukrainian name at all. Fedotenko does, he's 100% Ukrainian. I'm not sure about Zhitnik. If he played for Russia, he must have a Russian citizenship and if he has a Russian one he can't have a Ukrainian. So, there's no chance for Zhitnik to play for Ukraine, even if he wanted, unless he gives up his Russian citizenship.
Wait... If we are talking ethnicity, then Terry Sawchuk (nicknamed "Ukkie"), Mike Bossy and Johnny Busyk were the first Ukrainian stars (well, mega-stars) in the NHL. And there are dozens of other Ukrainian-sounding names that come to mind: Andreychuk, Matvichuk, Konowlachuk, Fedoruk, Belak, Babych, Daneyko, etc. I wouldn't consider any of them "Ukrainian stars". That would be the players that were born and raised in Ukraine - regardless of their ethnic origin.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
lightning_legwand said:
Whatever happened to him?

Concussions ruined him. He was already a softish perimeter player pre-concussions, but after missing most of a season he came back even softer and wasn't close to the same player he was before.

turnbuckle*

Absolut said:
Wait... If we are talking ethnicity, then Terry Sawchuk (nicknamed "Ukkie"), Mike Bossy and Johnny Busyk were the first Ukrainian stars (well, mega-stars) in the NHL. And there are dozens of other Ukrainian-sounding names that come to mind: Andreychuk, Matvichuk, Konowlachuk, Fedoruk, Belak, Babych, Daneyko, etc. I wouldn't consider any of them "Ukrainian stars". That would be the players that were born and raised in Ukraine - regardless of their ethnic origin.

Barilko, Nesterenko, Hrudey, Sydor, Hawerchuk, Federko, Tkachuk, Hrkac, Berehowsky, Maruk, Leschyshyn, Lysiak, Koroll, Walt Tkaczuk.

I just did a google, and here is a list of NHLers of Ukrainian descent from the 1981-82 NHL season alone.

Hrudey
Krushelnyski
Larry Melnyk
Rick Vasko D
Bob Janecyk GT
Steve Ludzik C
Warren Skorodenski
Miles Zaharko D
Rich Chernomaz C
Steve Janaszak GT
John Ogrodnick LW
Dennis Polonich RW
Walt Poddubny C
Dave Semenko LW
Tom Lysiak
Paul Shmyr D
Dennis Owchar D
Mike Antonovich C
Dave Orleski LW
Greg Paslawski RW
Neil Hawryliw LW
Mike Hordy D
Ed Hospodar D
Mike Busniuk D
David Michayluk
Malarchuk GT
Wayne Babych
Richard Zemlak
Mike Zuke
Fred Boimistruck
Mike Kaszycki
Rocky Saganiuk
Gary Yaremchuk
Stan Smyl
Orest Kindrachuk
Dennis Maruk
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Dave Babych
Dale Hawerchuk
Mike Bossy

The Ukrainians would have had a strong team if all of those guys had played for their "country" in the early 80's.

Bossy, Hawerchuk, Federko, Maruk, Lysiak, Smyl, Podubbny, O'Grodnick, Krushelnyski, Semenko, Babych, Zuke and Kindrachuk up front, Shmyr, Babych, Hospodar, Melnyk, Owchar and Vasko on defence, Hrudey and Malarchuk between the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad