Prospect Info: Denis Gurianov - 12th Overall Pick, 2015

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
The AHL is not a better league to the KHL who are you kidding?
2shifts a game. So he spent 5mins on the ice per shift? Wow, perhaps that's why he sucked so much.
None of what you said is remotely true.
Grasping at straws.
I want him to be successful too, but you're delusional if you think he's done well anywhere but the MHL
Ya other than the top 6 or 7 players in the k the ahl is 100 % a better league . So your saying he didn’t do well at the under 18’s than ? What about the world juniors ?do you think they drafted him because he’s a nice kid ? I’m done debating this though . You’ve said more than enough to prove you know nothing about hockey .

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It’s better to limit this to how a guy looks when he’s 18+ and playing against other adults. I really don’t care how awesome a teenager is against other teenagers. On draft day, that’s all you have to work with, but it becomes irrelevant once a guy spends any meaningful amount of time playing better competition.

He’s on his third season of full-time adult pro hockey. There’s enough of a pro body of work to evaluate how he’s progressing without relying on how he looked when he was still in Russia’s equivalent of high school. We can lump in the WJC because that can be some high end competition. Overall, it’s a very disappointing showing. Unless he catches fire to finish this season, I’d say his chances of being on Nill’s radar for next season’s roster are about zero.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
It’s better to limit this to how a guy looks when he’s 18+ and playing against other adults. I really don’t care how awesome a teenager is against other teenagers. On draft day, that’s all you have to work with, but it becomes irrelevant once a guy spends any meaningful amount of time playing better competition.

He’s on his third season of full-time adult pro hockey. There’s enough of a pro body of work to evaluate how he’s progressing without relying on how he looked when he was still in Russia’s equivalent of high school. We can lump in the WJC because that can be some high end competition. Overall, it’s a very disappointing showing. Unless he catches fire to finish this season, I’d say his chances of being on Nill’s radar for next season’s roster are about zero.
I agree he will most likely not be on the radar for next season but its because nill is very patient and hasn’t moved much of there young forwards and there’s no room . If you look around the league though there are plenty of teams who bring in players who haven’t done exceptionally well in the ahl yet and they do just as good and often better in the nhl . It’s better to have your top 6 ahl forwards veteran guys and keep the young guys progressing into the big leagues . It’s kind of what they did with smith and elie. They hadn’t took over the top 6 in the ahl yet but were given an opportunity in the nhl and they got a taste and have been working hard to stay here .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
We have a glut of top 9 forward potential in Texas and Russia. Seems like he could part with one and a second round for a rental RW? It would depend on who the other team liked. Who knows, OTT supposedly asked about Nick Paul when trading Spezza here. Nuke, Guri, Ritchie, Shore, Elie, Smith, Tufte, Hintz, Dickenson, Robertson all seem like decent trade chips.

Of course, the ones we like the best - presumably Robertson - will in all likelihood be the one the other team wants. Dickenson slightly ahead because he's closer to NHL ready? But, we would try to pawn off the others as better fits if we could.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
We have a glut of top 9 forward potential in Texas and Russia. Seems like he could part with one and a second round for a rental RW? It would depend on who the other team liked. Who knows, OTT supposedly asked about Nick Paul when trading Spezza here. Nuke, Guri, Ritchie, Shore, Elie, Smith, Tufte, Hintz, Dickenson, Robertson all seem like decent trade chips.

Of course, the ones we like the best - presumably Robertson - will in all likelihood be the one the other team wants. Dickenson slightly ahead because he's closer to NHL ready? But, we would try to pawn off the others as better fits if we could.
Apparently Dallas is trying for rick Nash . Them and Nashville . That would be nice to have on the Second Line with spezza if you can get him for either nuke , Ritchie or elie .i heard they wanted honka though .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Apparently Dallas is trying for rick Nash . Them and Nashville . That would be nice to have on the Second Line with spezza if you can get him for either nuke , Ritchie or elie .i heard they wanted honka though .

Wouldn't trade Nichushkin or Honka for him. Would give up Ritchie or Elie in a heartbeat, heck, they can take them both lol

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Wouldn't trade Nichushkin or Honka for him. Would give up Ritchie or Elie in a heartbeat, heck, they can take them both lol
Ya realistically though they probably have no interest in those guys . There’s a few teams interested so the price will be fairly high I’d imagine . I definately wouldn’t want to give up honka . They would be pretty much screwed if anyone else gets injured on d. Shore would be a guy that they might be interested in and could be replaced by Dickinson or hintz next year . Might have to throw in a draft pick though .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yea, Shore and a 2nd would be the prototype for a Nash trade from a buyers POV. NYR can probably get more. Agree if Methot struggles, we no longer have D depth to trade. But if Korpokoski got us a near NHL ready D in Heatherington, Nash should get more, and it would be at least a 2nd and a young talented prospect from among our best prospects.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Alright, back to Guryanov.

He's terrible and Nill should feel terrible about drafting him. Honestly, I want Nill fired for it - I feel that strongly about it.

How does it make you feel that he passed up on Barzal to draft him? I remember the guys talking over the draft were surprised Nill went off the board to select Gurianov...but I don't think he's as terrible as you're saying lol. He's only 20 and yeah he hasn't been great but he still shows signs of potential and probably needs another 2 years to develop. Radek Faksa was being called a bust by Stars fans for a little while too before he came around

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
How does it make you feel that he passed up on Barzal to draft him? I remember the guys talking over the draft were surprised Nill went off the board to select Gurianov...

Dude stop twisting the knife. Don't forget Connor was also there. :(

but I don't think he's as terrible as you're saying lol. He's only 20 and yeah he hasn't been great but he still shows signs of potential and probably needs another 2 years to develop. Radek Faksa was being called a bust by Stars fans for a little while too before he came around

Well the difference with Faksa (for me) is that he was known as a two way player when drafted, and that is what he has turned into. Guryanov was drafted as some kind of great goal scorer, but he doesn't score goals so I'm not sure what the point of him is.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Dude stop twisting the knife. Don't forget Connor was also there. :(

Well the difference with Faksa (for me) is that he was known as a two way player when drafted, and that is what he has turned into. Guryanov was drafted as some kind of great goal scorer, but he doesn't score goals so I'm not sure what the point of him is.
I think they drafted guryanov mainly for his shot , he already had an elite shot when he was 17 , it’s just a matter of him learning the rest of the game . he probably has the best shot on Texas . Once he becomes a more complete player and the coaches start to trust him on the top pp unit and first line , he will start to score a lot more goals . He’s kind of a project player that they knew was going to take more time than most of the other guys but he Has one of the highest ceilings in that draft . I would give him at least 2 more years before calling him a bust . For faksa , he was a defensive guy almost gaurenteed to become a 4th Line nhl player . Guryanov is a speedy , flashy , shooter who is either gonna be a top 6 forward or is never gonna be an nhl player . I’m leaning towards a top 6 forward . Only time will tell .

Reactions: PelleLindbergh

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It's rare that an elite shot has trouble scoring at the AHL level and does score at the NHL level. A tick of a second slow for NHL goalies. Think, Junior Lessard, Jon Sim. How complete will he have to be to get PP time if is shot is good?

I admit he looks great skating at training camps, and two years ago looked like he was going to be someone. This year, meh. Now, I understand steps back in development, injuries, etc. for young players.

So, yeah give him a bit of time more, but I do wonder.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
How does it make you feel that he passed up on Barzal to draft him? I remember the guys talking over the draft were surprised Nill went off the board to select Gurianov...but I don't think he's as terrible as you're saying lol. He's only 20 and yeah he hasn't been great but he still shows signs of potential and probably needs another 2 years to develop. Radek Faksa was being called a bust by Stars fans for a little while too before he came around

Has to be Nill's 2nd worst move as GM, only behind allowing Niemi to throw away 2 years of prime Benn and Seguin.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Has to be Nill's 2nd worst move as GM, only behind allowing Niemi to throw away 2 years of prime Benn and Seguin.

He also drafted Tufte over DeBrincat...and another one that could turn out bad is Oettinger over Tolvanen.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Ya he passed on Barzal and tolvanen , but it’s not like he was the only gm to . It happens every draft . Those guys broke out after they were drafted . It’s like blaming him for passing on kucherov , Weber or Subban . Basically Every team that picked before them screwed up . All we can really say is he hasn’t drafted awesome since he’s been here but he hasnt really had enough time to find out if he’s drafted good . The nichushkin pick seems to be his worst if you ask me . In his defence I wanted to pick him too though .

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Actually it’s not the same. For starters, those guys weren’t consensus first round picks, like the guys we often pass on. Secondly, when the fans do better at drafting than the team something is seriously wrong with management. I’ve been kicking Dallas butt in the draft for more than 10 years now. At this rate I’d feel more comfortable having the team choose a fan at random to make their first couple of picks.

Reactions: PelleLindbergh

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
If we have both Gurianov and Nichushkin going into training camp Radulov will help bring out and show coaches the one that deserves a possible opening day roster spot. The coaches won’t even have to ask him to do so; he’s just that type of guy and would want to get one of his country-men a spot if they want it enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->