Confirmed with Link: Dell signed to two year extension ($1.9m per year cap hit)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Then you're just making a claim and choosing not to provide evidence to substantiate said claim.

Lol. I'm only telling you what went through media/TV back sometime last year. There were multiple sources. (not including Kurz because I don't give a f*** about that moron)
Now you believe what you want but I don't think I'm ready for the madhouse. I usually don't wake up in the morning thinking Aaron Dell just talked to me. If you remember the source for everything you read/heard last year and could present all actual links then I congratulate you on this. I can't.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lol. I'm only telling you what went through media/TV back sometime last year. There were multiple sources. (not including Kurz because I don't give a **** about that moron)
Now you believe what you want but I don't think I'm ready for the madhouse. I usually don't wake up in the morning thinking Aaron Dell just talked to me. If you remember the source for everything you read/heard last year and could present all actual links then I congratulate you on this. I can't.

The difference is that I'm not making a definitive claim using sources that I can't remember or prove.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The difference is that I'm not making a definitive claim using sources that I can't remember or prove.

Has nothing to do with a claim. I just expressed my concerns based on something I heard and read multiple times last season. If you believe I'd make stuff like that up and despite Kurz (based on the title) reporting a similar story then you're free to do that. In fact, I'm also a bit surprised that so many here missed these pretty significant news.

But if it makes you feel better then fine...I've never ever heard anything about Dell not wanting to sign a contract before the end of the season. Was all just a bad dream:sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Has nothing to do with a claim. I just expressed my concerns based on something I heard and read multiple times last season. If you believe I'd make stuff like that up and despite Kurz (based on the title) reporting a similar story then you're free to do that. In fact, I'm also a bit surprised that so many here missed these pretty significant news.

But if it makes you feel better then fine...I've never ever heard anything about Dell not wanting to sign a contract before the end of the season. Was all just a bad dream:sarcasm:

It actually has everything to do with a claim because you're citing that as the basis for your reasoning regarding Dell. And with you, yeah there is absolutely a strong possibility that you'd make it up to support your own narrative on it. There's a lot more of a possibility that people here missed it because it didn't happen than you being accurate with this. Until you actually prove your claim to be accurate, people simply aren't going to give you the benefit of the doubt because you've never earned that.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It actually has everything to do with a claim because you're citing that as the basis for your reasoning regarding Dell. And with you, yeah there is absolutely a strong possibility that you'd make it up to support your own narrative on it. There's a lot more of a possibility that people here missed it because it didn't happen than you being accurate with this. Until you actually prove your claim to be accurate, people simply aren't going to give you the benefit of the doubt because you've never earned that.

Yeah, Kurz and me...we had the same dream. Okay okay, I'm gonna admit it now...we're mentally connected:sarcasm:
Or wait, no. Kurz and me, we just made this up to troll you. You may also have to suspect Gackle for writing that Dell seemed poised to leave the Sharks in Free Agency or via trade without revealing any sources for his claim:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Having said that, I'll leave that for you to investigate, Inspector. I'm not gonna tell you whether Gackle is part of our conspiracy or not or who else may be involved:sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, Kurz and me...we had the same dream. Okay okay, I'm gonna admit it now...we're mentally connected:sarcasm:
Or wait, no. Kurz and me, we just made this up to troll you all. You may also have to suspect Gackle for writing that Dell seemed poised to leave the Sharks in Free Agency or via trade without revealing any sources for his claim:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Having said that, I'll leave that for you to investigate, Inspector. I'm not gonna tell you whether Gackle is part of our conspiracy or not or who else may be involved:sarcasm:

Except Kurz's article doesn't give off the impression that your interpretation of Dell's situation was actually correct so there's that. lol The Gackle one is absolutely you reading way too much into that.

I mean, all you'd have to do to end this is provide a single shred of evidence that shows that they specifically said what you said they did. Seeing that you haven't done that and likely won't ever produce it, why should anyone believe you?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Kurz article from November pertinent quotes and excerpt.

Aaron Dell, like many solid NHL goaltenders, has a pretty relaxed personality.
How relaxed?
“If the plane is going down, he’s ordering a martini,” said Dell’s agent, Matt Keator.
Perhaps that’s why, despite his status as a pending unrestricted free agent, the 28-year-old goalie does not appear to be panicking about his future.
“We’ll just see what happens and see how this year goes first,” Dell said. “The focus is on this year.”
Keator echoed his client, and said Tuesday that he has not yet had any discussions with the Sharks about a contract extension. He doesn’t expect to have any until the season ends, for that matter.
“We’ve had no discussions, but it’s really, really early,” Keator said. “There’s a long time to go before that. But I think it’s been a great fit for both sides.”

This season, Dell is 2-3-0 with a 2.14 GAA and .923 SP in seven games (including five starts).
“It’s been good so far. I do really like the organization here,” Dell said. “They’ve treated me really well. I love the guys and stuff, too. Like I said, we’ll see how it goes.”

“I think especially out here, with the travel and the fatigue and the stress that is put on the individual player compared to when I was (the coach) in New Jersey and the travel we dealt with there,” DeBoer said. “You throw in being one of the most traveled teams in the league, I think it’s critical.
“We have great luxury here with both guys, and I think we feel comfortable playing Deller some more games this year.”

Still, don’t expect Dell to break the bank with his next contract. One veteran agent described the market for free agent goalies as “s—y” because of the pure volume of journeymen netminders that become available every offseason. Right now, veteran goalies like Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward, Jaroslav Halak, Eddie Lack, Chad Johnson and Khudobin are all pending unrestricted free agents this summer.
Even if Dell’s numbers stay the same, and assuming he doesn’t get more than 20 to 24 starts this season, “I’d be shocked” if he got more than $1.5 million to $2 million, said one agent.
“There are just too many guys out there that can fill in as backups,” this agent said.
Another agent said: “The market is $2 million, tops, and there’s no term (for a backup). It’s 1-2 years, usually.”

Every goalie, of course, would love the chance to be a No. 1 starter. Dell is no different, but he’s also currently behind a guy that has established himself as one of the NHL’s best and who isn’t going anywhere.
“It would be great to be a starter here, but I mean Jonesy is locked up for a little while and he’s pretty damn good,” Dell said with a chuckle.

Dell and Keator both indicated that the Sharks have built up some equity with the player in that they kept their promises after they signed him to a two-year, $1.225 million extension on July 1, 2016. The message was that Dell would be given an opportunity, and if he proved he could play at the NHL level, he would remain on the roster.
“They’ve given me the chance to earn everything that they’ve given me so far,” Dell said. “They’re really lived up to that when it came down to it. They gave me the opportunities — last year mostly, they gave me the chance to prove myself in camp. I think this year, getting more games in there, has kind of given me that opportunity to prove that I can stick around here.”
Keator said: “Everything they said would happen has happened through this two-year contract. Obviously it’s been a good fit for both sides, so we’ll see where it goes. He seems really happy there, and it’s been good.”

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Honestly I'm not often siding with Hinterland but I do completely remember hearing somewhere that Dell stated he would not sign a contract until the off-season.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
Honestly I'm not often siding with Hinterland but I do completely remember hearing somewhere that Dell stated he would not sign a contract until the off-season.
You actually had a discussion with Hinterland about this in a Jan 21 thread. He asserted Dell would not sign until offseason, you asked for link, he provided Kurz article. You said:
Thanks for that. I'm not subscribed to The Athletic and frankly I don't care to use my money to support Kevin Kurz, but the gist of the article seems to support your sentiments, so I'll take your word for it.
I can't believe how much time I spent yesterday trying to verify this basically inconsequential claim, but I have been unable to find any evidence that Dell or his agent actually said anything that Hinter says they said. It probably started with an exaggeration based on the reporting around being content to wait and see what happens and then he repeated it so much, it became truth in his head.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Thanks Leb. I only remember Hinterland quoting and exaggerating this quote in the past too, which is not nearly as concrete as he's been making it out to be. Nothing suggests that Dell "changed his mind".

“We’ll just see what happens and see how this year goes first,” Dell said. “The focus is on this year.”
Keator echoed his client, and said Tuesday that he has not yet had any discussions with the Sharks about a contract extension. He doesn’t expect to have any until the season ends, for that matter.
“We’ve had no discussions, but it’s really, really early,” Keator said. “There’s a long time to go before that. But I think it’s been a great fit for both sides.”

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You guys have to consider the title of the article.

"A pending free agent, Sharks' Dell plans to wait until after the season to talk contract"

That sure implies something that the article didn't actually stay, and also certainly implies something that we can now say in hindsight was entirely incorrect.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You actually had a discussion with Hinterland about this in a Jan 21 thread. He asserted Dell would not sign until offseason, you asked for link, he provided Kurz article. You said:

I can't believe how much time I spent yesterday trying to verify this basically inconsequential claim, but I have been unable to find any evidence that Dell or his agent actually said anything that Hinter says they said. It probably started with an exaggeration based on the reporting around being content to wait and see what happens and then he repeated it so much, it became truth in his head.

I spent a lot of time after he asked me, too. But TV/Podcast sources would be impossible to find anyway and I also couldn't find another source. Just Kurz whose article I never read. There were other sources saying to a lesser extent what Gackle wrote in his article. I don't remember them go as far as Dell wanting out via Free Agency or trade. (like Gackle suggested) ...it was more of Dell being quoted like he's not interested in contract talks before the end of the season.

I mean you don't need to believe me but Kurz and now Gackle (in hindsight) seem to draw very similar pictures of the situation so I just find it a bit curious that pinkfloyd accuses me of lying. I have no reason to do such a thing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I spent a lot of time after he asked me, too. But TV/Podcast sources would be impossible to find anyway and I also couldn't find another source. Just Kurz whose article I never read. There were other sources saying to a lesser extent what Gackle wrote in his article. I don't remember them go as far as Dell wanting out via Free Agency or trade. (like Gackle suggested) ...it was more of Dell being quoted like he's not interested in contract talks before the end of the season.

I mean you don't need to believe me but Kurz and now Gackle (in hindsight) seem to draw very similar pictures of the situation so I just find it a bit curious that pinkfloyd accuses me of lying. I have no reason to do such a thing.

Here's what I think happened. You read Gackle's article in which he was making a case to trade Aaron Dell because Gackle felt they couldn't afford to keep him. You took something out of context and made it up that Dell and his agent said he wouldn't sign a contract. There's nothing that supports that statement. What you've been pointing to are either statements you're taking out of context or just hoping nobody actually looks into it because referencing Kurz's article you'd see nothing in there drawing a similar picture to the situation. A wait and see approach is a very far cry from his agent said he wouldn't sign a contract like you claimed. It doesn't matter if you have no reason to lie but what you're doing here is making a definitive claim using some very sketchy evidence and an even sketchier backup to say that you don't remember the sources. Well, if you don't remember the sources and you point to Kurz and Gackle's articles to support it, you probably ought to walk back that claim and certainly talk about it in a significantly less definitive way because upon examining the evidence, it doesn't help your claim. Really, this is all just you interpreting things that are a lot more speculative than you make it out to be and running with a narrative for your own purposes when it simply wasn't the case.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Here's what I think happened. You read Gackle's article in which he was making a case to trade Aaron Dell because Gackle felt they couldn't afford to keep him. You took something out of context and made it up that Dell and his agent said he wouldn't sign a contract. There's nothing that supports that statement. What you've been pointing to are either statements you're taking out of context or just hoping nobody actually looks into it because referencing Kurz's article you'd see nothing in there drawing a similar picture to the situation. A wait and see approach is a very far cry from his agent said he wouldn't sign a contract like you claimed. It doesn't matter if you have no reason to lie but what you're doing here is making a definitive claim using some very sketchy evidence and an even sketchier backup to say that you don't remember the sources. Well, if you don't remember the sources and you point to Kurz and Gackle's articles to support it, you probably ought to walk back that claim and certainly talk about it in a significantly less definitive way because upon examining the evidence, it doesn't help your claim. Really, this is all just you interpreting things that are a lot more speculative than you make it out to be and running with a narrative for your own purposes when it simply wasn't the case.

Nah. Like I said. I only just now read the Kurz article and the latest Gackle article was the first I could find that actually points towards what I heard/read. In fact, Gackle goes even further suggesting that Dell wanted out even via Trade. Maybe it was a gackle article that I read but if that's the case then I wasn't yet able to find it. Your theory also isn't likely to be true because there were multiple sources including at least one TV/podcast source. Now I don't know...I'm listening/watching/reading lots of stuff about hockey, probably too much. But there were multiple sources saying a very similar thing. The quotes in Kurz' article that have Dell saying that he wants to play the year first and his agent saying that he doesn't anticipate contract talks before the end of the season are probably the most interesting parts. I don't know whether Dell talked to multiple journalists or if Kurz copied from others or vice versa. Maybe journalists like Kurz (with his misleading title) are guilty of of it but I don't think I misinterpretated anything here. I'm only telling you what I heard/read...whether those sources are right or wrong. Maybe I was naive but I assumed they were right since they reported essentially the same (Dell not wanting to sign a contract before the end of the season). I know that's not 100% what the Kurz article says nor what Gackle suggested afterwards but I can assure you that I'm not the one to blame for deviations amongst journalists

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nah. Like I said. I only just now read the Kurz article and the latest Gackle article was the first I could find that actually points towards what I heard/read. In fact, Gacke goes even further suggesting that Dell wanted out even via Trade. Maybe it was a gackle article that I read but if that's the case then I wasn't yet able to find it. Your theory also isn't likely to be true because there were multiple sources including at least one TV/podcast source. Now I don't know...I'm listening/watching/reading lots of stuff about hockey, probably too much. But there were multiple sources saying a very similar thing. The quotes in Kurz' article that have Dell saying that he wants to play the year first and his agent saying that he doesn't anticipate contract talks before the end of the season are probably the most interesting parts. I don't know whether Dell talked to multiple journalists or if Kurz copied from others or vice versa. Maybe journalists like Kurz (with his misleading title) are guilty of of it but I don't think I misinterpretated anything here. I'm only telling you what I heard/read...whether those sources are right or wrong. I assumed they werd right since they reported essentially the same (Dell not wanting to sign a contract before the end of the season). I know that's not 100% what the Kurz article says nor what Gackle suggested afterwards but I can assure you that I'm not the one to blame for deviations amongst journalists

Where in the hell do you get that Gackle suggested that Dell wanted out via trade? There is nothing written in any article that even suggests that Dell didn't want to sign a contract before the end of the season. That is a blatant misinterpretation on your part.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Where in the hell do you get that Gackle suggested that Dell wanted out via trade? There is nothing written in any article that even suggests that Dell didn't want to sign a contract before the end of the season. That is a blatant misinterpretation on your part.

Aaron Dell signs a two-year contract extension with Sharks

Posted by Lady Stanley. He's just speculating without naming sources. Like I said he goes even further suggesting that he wanted out be it via trade or Free Agency. Like I also wrote there are deviations between those sources but I'm sure enough not responsible for them.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Aaron Dell signs a two-year contract extension with Sharks

Posted by Lady Stanley. He's just speculating without naming sources. Like I said he goes even further suggesting that he wanted out be it via trade or Free Agency. Like I also wrote there are deviations between those sources but I'm sure enough not responsible for them.

There is literally nothing in that article showing that Gackle suggested Dell wanted out via trade or free agency. You are misinterpreting Gackle saying that Dell seemed poised to leave and twisting that into saying that Dell wanted out. That's simply wrong.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There is literally nothing in that article showing that Gackle suggested Dell wanted out via trade or free agency. You are misinterpreting Gackle saying that Dell seemed poised to leave and twisting that into saying that Dell wanted out. That's simply wrong.

I said that he suggested that Dell wanted out. Call it speculation, whatever. We could talk about semantics all day. As a matter of fact he wrote it going even further than other media guys.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I said that he suggested that Dell wanted out. Call it speculation, whatever. We could talk about semantics all day. As a matter of fact he wrote it going even further than other media guys.

And what you said was wrong. You can marginalize it to semantics all you want but when you use it to make a claim like you did, don't be surprised when you get challenged on your made-up interpretations. Being poised to leave is not suggesting Dell wants out. It's referencing an expiring contract and Gackle's personal opinion that the team couldn't afford to keep him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
And what you said was wrong. You can marginalize it to semantics all you want but when you use it to make a claim like you did, don't be surprised when you get challenged on your made-up interpretations. Being poised to leave is not suggesting Dell wants out. It's referencing an expiring contract and Gackle's personal opinion that the team couldn't afford to keep him.

This is your interpretation of it but not what Gackle actually wrote. Do you realize that?
Why are you accusing me of something you're in fact doing yourself?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
This is your interpretation of it but not what Gackle actually wrote. Do you realize that?
Why are you accusing me of something you're in fact doing yourself?

Who cares what Gackle wrote? What did Dell actually say, not Gackle's interpretation, but what Dell actually said, that has you convinced Dell was set on trying FA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad