Confirmed with Link: Dell signed to two year extension ($1.9m per year cap hit)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Also, what quote are you basing these statements on regarding him wanting to test the market?

Somebody else asked me this already and it took me ages to find anything. So I'm not gonna do it again. I bet you're just as good as me at using google or whatever you use. Went through the media and if you all missed it then it's not my fault. Sorry. You may also just read Gackle's article posted here where he says: "Earlier in the season, Dell seemed poised to leave the Sharks in free agency or through a trade. Every year, teams in need of goaltending chase after the top backups on the market and Dell appeared to fit the bill having posted a .929 save percentage over his first 40 NHL appearances."

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Somebody else asked me this already and it took me ages to find anything. So I'm not gonna do it again. I bet you're just as good as me at using google or whatever you use. Went through the media and if you all missed it then it's not my fault. Sorry. You may also just read Gackle's article posted here where he says: "Earlier in the season, Dell seemed poised to leave the Sharks in free agency or through a trade. Every year, teams in need of goaltending chase after the top backups on the market and Dell appeared to fit the bill having posted a .929 save percentage over his first 40 NHL appearances."

If that's your basis then you're not really basing it off of anything but ambiguous hearsay.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

So dell didn't actually say he wanted to test free agency? It was the media that was just putting 2 and 2 together and saying a ufa at the end of the year who has had no contract extension talks yet was going to test it?

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If that's your basis then you're not really basing it off of anything but ambiguous hearsay.
You should read my posts. Dell and his agent publicly said that he's not gonna sign a contract before the end of the season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So dell didn't actually say he wanted to test free agency? It was the media that was just putting 2 and 2 together and saying a ufa at the end of the year who has had no contract extension talks yet was going to test it?

No. It was Dell and his agent, not the media.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Let's hope it stays that way and him publicly saying that he wants to hit free agency in order to land a nr.1 gig was just part of a plan to get a better deal...because I really don't think throwing money at somebody wanting out is particularly for team chemistry.
Confidence can change what he or his agent tells him to say. The start of the year was dynamite, this slump was horrendous. I’m sure dell and his camp figured if it gets worse he might not have that chance at number one with another team. The team knows what he’s capable of and from what I’ve read he’s extremely well-liked in the room, they understand his statement earlier and everyone knows jones is the guy. This is a good move.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The only thing that I've seen from him or his agent was Kurz's Athletic article behind a pay wall that conveyed a wait and see approach rather than outright stating he would test free agency but I can't read that whole article to verify that.

A pending free agent, Sharks' Dell plans to wait until after...

The one I found a while ago. However, that's not where I heard/read it back then. I couldn't care less about this moron Kurz and the athletic. Can't tell you where I got it from back then since that was early in the season sometime last year but there were multiple sources reporting it and if I remember correctly there were some pretty definite quotes from Dell. It went through the media and they may even talked about it on TV so I'm surprised you missed it. I don't like Kurz but he didn't make something up there.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The one I found a while ago. However, that's not where I heard/read it back then. I couldn't care less about this moron Kurz and the athletic. Can't tell you where I got it from back then since that was early in the season sometime last year but there were multiple sources reporting it and if I remember correctly there were some pretty definite quotes from Dell. It went through the media and they may even talked about it on TV so I'm surprised you missed it. I don't like Kurz but he didn't make something up there.

I'm not going to dismiss that it could have been said. I just remain skeptical until I see something definitive since I never heard anything like that in those kind of terms prior to now. I don't think it honestly matters since things change and offers change over time.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I'm not going to dismiss that it could have been said. I just remain skeptical until I see something definitive since I never heard anything like that in those kind of terms prior to now. I don't think it honestly matters since things change and offers change over time.

Well, I think it does matter. He wanted out and changed his mind. Fine. But Wilson paid stupid money to keep him. Was this recent bad stretch enough of a reality check? The last thing you want is an unhappy backup who just signed a contract because of money thrown at him and who gets frustrated with his situation.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Well, I think it does matter. He wanted out and changed his mind. Fine. But Wilson paid stupid money to keep him. Was this recent bad stretch enough of a reality check? The last thing you want is an unhappy backup who just signed a contract because of money thrown at him and who gets frustrated with his situation.

You seem to be doing a lot of mind reading.

And if Dell said it you should be able to find it. I remain skeptical.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well, I think it does matter. He wanted out and Wilson paid stupid money to keep him. Fine. But was this recent bad stretch enough of a reality check? The last thing you want is an unhappy backup who just signed a contract because of money thrown at him.

The only reason why it matters is because you're making a claim that so far as I can tell is based solely on your own interpretation of things. The words that I've seen thus far do not tell a story of someone wanting out. I've only seen words that convey that they'll see how the year plays out and that is a far cry when it comes to contract negotiations than what you're presenting here especially without words that suggest that your interpretation is correct.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Dell wanted out?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The only reason why it matters is because you're making a claim that so far as I can tell is based solely on your own interpretation of things. The words that I've seen thus far do not tell a story of someone wanting out. I've only seen words that convey that they'll see how the year plays out and that is a far cry when it comes to contract negotiations than what you're presenting here especially without words that suggest that your interpretation is correct.

What he said is that he wants to test the market, that he's not gonna sign a contract before the end of the season. He didn't exactly express a desire to wanting out but it's essentially the same unless it was just part of the plan to get more money.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Dell wanted out?

He said that he's not gonna sign a contract until the end of the season. Which means at least that he wanted to test the market and that he was looking to land a Nr.1 gig. I have no reason to doubt that he likes it in SJ but I just don't like the fact that Wilson prevented a guy from doing what he wanted to do (again, unless it was part of the plan to get more money) by throwing money at him. He may like the money now but could become frustrated with his situation.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What he said is that he wants to test the market, that he's not gonna sign a contract before the end of the season. He didn't exactly express a desire to wanting out but it's essentially the same unless it was just part of the plan to get more money.

Maybe those words are in Kurz's Athletic article from November, I don't know. I can't read that whole article to verify but what little I saw from his agent in that article, it was more of a wait and see approach than a declarative statement towards that end. Honestly, the biggest reason why I'm skeptical of that actually being said is because it would have been pointed out a lot more as we approached the deadline of that being the case when it came to potentially trading him elsewhere. I'll be glad to alter my position if evidence is shown to back up what you're saying but I'm skeptical until then.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
He could trade Dell to the Islanders, plus still hanging on to his 2018 1st round pick still. Just saying.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Maybe those words are in Kurz's Athletic article from November, I don't know. I can't read that whole article to verify but what little I saw from his agent in that article, it was more of a wait and see approach than a declarative statement towards that end. Honestly, the biggest reason why I'm skeptical of that actually being said is because it would have been pointed out a lot more as we approached the deadline of that being the case when it came to potentially trading him elsewhere. I'll be glad to alter my position if evidence is shown to back up what you're saying but I'm skeptical until then.

Well, I didn't make this up and I'm also not following Kurz:laugh:

I think it's safe to assume that this contract was pretty much done several days before the trade deadline. My guess is that contract talks started right when Dell went cold. Since there was no activity around Dell there was no reason to mention it. I'd also like to think that guys like Gackle knew about the contract talks.

Sharks' Dell's stock is falling in wake of slump

No idea how much he knew back then but he probably had reasons to be confident writing this.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston

I just read the article. His agent says (back in November) that they've had no discussions but it's early... Good fit for both sides... Dell says he likes the organization and "we'll see what happens..."

Reading between the lines of their comments it sounds like they were expecting to wait till the offseason, but neither says that definitively. Maybe that was the plan in November, but plans change.

Reactions: Hinterland

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well, I didn't make this up and I'm also not following Kurz:laugh:

I think it's safe to assume that this contract was pretty much done several days before the trade deadline. My guess is that contract talks started right when Dell went cold. Since there was no activity around Dell there was no reason to mention it. I'd also like to think that guys like Gackle knew about the contract talks.

Sharks' Dell's stock is falling in wake of slump

No idea how much he knew back then but he probably had reasons to be confident writing this.

Well then you should be able to back it up and yet you have not. That is a problem and a reason to remain skeptical. I'd also like to think that guys like Gackle know about contract talks. Far more often than not, the reality is that they don't because they're just not that connected. But again, to this point with the evidence presented, this is simply a case of you simply reading way too much into it until you provide evidence to the contrary. And the fact that your view on this is that it was definitive in what they were writing towards that end yet the contract got signed now should be evidence that they could have been wrong on that or that you could have been wrong in that interpretation.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Why is it that the vast majority of Hinterland's arguments end with what is practically "Believe me, or look it up yourself"?

Even if you're right in this case, it's just a terrible way to support your claims.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad