Confirmed with Link: Dell signed to two year extension ($1.9m per year cap hit)

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Must be why he traded Groesnick. Good backup. Depending on the AAV I’m happy

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Don't understand this from Dell's perspective. Then again, i want sure why Grosenick resigned for what he did...

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
A little pricey but it's fine. He's done a solid job the past two years for the most part. He seems like a good fit with the team from a chemistry stand point. He kept us in it earlier this season.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
I like it. Despite his recent struggles, he's generally a dependable backup. DeBoer seems to trust him enough to not overwork Jones which is the most important thing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As long as DW creates plenty of money to throw at Tavares this off-season I like it.

Right now, he's got 16 mil on a 75 mil cap while needing to re-sign Jumbo, Kane, Hertl, Tierney, and DeMelo as either RFA's or UFA's that they'll probably try to bring back. Cap is going to be somewhere between 78-82 but probably the higher end. If they buyout Martin, which is probable I'd say, that'll save 2.8 mil. They should be able to trade Karlsson to free up 2 mil since Sorensen can do what Karlsson does cheaper. They may be able to move Boedker since he's been producing more and he has an attractive contract to floor teams. That's another 6 mil. I'm expecting Hertl and Tierney to get 5 mil and 2.5 mil respectively. Hertl maybe more depends on how many years you're looking at. DeMelo will probably get a mil. Then you have to figure out the whole Thornton, Kane, and Tavares thing. If all those things happen with a 78 mil cap figure, you're looking at about 19 million with a need for at least four forwards. Tavares most likely means that Kane won't be re-signed. Tavares also means that Thornton wouldn't really be needed unless he was willing to switch to wing or play 2C and have Couture and Hertl switch to wing. And if he gets 12 million, we're left with 7 million to get at least three more forwards. Thornton could easily be re-signed so long as he was willing to do a bonus-heavy contract to let us go over the cap. The rest of the forwards really only need to be 4th liner types on the cheap. And if that did occur, I'd rather them go out and move DeMelo and/or Heed for an upgrade on that side of the defense. There's a lot they could do and they have a lot of flexibility to make moves. We'll see what DW has up his sleeve. Tavares is #1 priority at this point since he's a franchise changer.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
For people who are upset with the amount, what is the alternative? Dell could easily have gone elsewhere for more money.

For backup, there's plenty of alternatives. I would've been content with giving Bibeau a shot at the spot for less but it's hardly worth worrying about. That's about market value for Dell in his current situation.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I like it. I understand not wanting to hand out bad contracts, but you have to spend money to retain talent. I guess that goes against HF logic about players getting paid.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like it. I understand not wanting to hand out bad contracts, but you have to spend money to retain talent. I guess that goes against HF logic about players getting paid.

It's not a bad contract and I'm not against players getting paid. Dell was going to get this kind of payment regardless. It's about figuring out the most effective and efficient way to use your resources. For what Dell has done, this is perfectly fine but I understand looking for a cheaper alternative and with Bibeau, maybe in two years time, they will have more of a desire to run with him in that spot.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As the West becomes more competitive and we lose Marleau and Thornton declines, it's important to note that backup goaltending like Stalock in 2015-2016 could be enough to push us out of a playoff spot. If you have a reliable backup like Dell it's probably not bad to pay him that extra million to keep him. The alternative is Bibeau at around $900K which could work out well but could also screw us out of the playoffs.

In fact, with some of the performances Dell has put up this season given the circumstances and where we are in the standings, you could probably make the argument that we would be out of a playoff spot if we had a league average backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiburon12

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I agree that it isn’t ideal but paying between $7-8mil for two goalies isn’t that unusual/terrible.
-Caps have Holtby at $6.1 and Grubauer at $1.5.
-Stars obviously have an expensive situation in net this season with Bishop at $4.9 and Kari at $5.9 plus Nemo at $1.5.
-Panthers have Lou at $4.5 and Reimer at $3.4.
-Islanders have Jaro at $4.5 and Griess at $3.3.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Seems like a decent deal to me. The lower salary in year 2 is good if Bibeau or someone else is ready, then we can move Dell pretty easily most likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->