GDT: Delicious Backhands and Games in Hand are Cure Alls: Devils @ Flyers, 1 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Yup.

I’m not second guessing signing him and choosing him over Wedgewood. I never did. And with as bad as he’s been this year, it still doesn’t look like a bad decision.

It goes past this game though. He didn’t really play any better against Washington, but we scored 4 goals and Holtby didn’t look good either. He was pretty pedestrian in that game. Do we really applaud him because he didn’t allow 4 goals in one of our best defensive games of the season?

I can only think of 2 really good games he’s played this year, and that was at Barclays Center last week and at MSG back in October. He played fine against the Sharks back in October, and he was fine in St. Louis, but he looked pretty bad in the shootout.

But maybe that’s the point? While he hasn’t stolen any games, he hasn’t really cost us any points. You can say “if he stopped the first goal, maybe...,” but the reality is that the team scored one goal - and that’s not enough to win.

I understand that his stats aren’t good this year, but apart from perhaps the Calgary game, when has the team played well enough to win and he’s cost them points?

I know you like to focus on goalie play, but in this case it feels a smaller issue.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But maybe that’s the point? While he hasn’t stolen any games, he hasn’t really cost us any points. You can say “if he stopped the first goal, maybe...,” but the reality is that the team scored one goal - and that’s not enough to win.

I understand that his stats aren’t good this year, but apart from perhaps the Calgary game, when has the team played well enough to win and he’s cost them points?

I know you like to focus on goalie play, but in this case it feels a smaller issue.
He came really close to costing us a win against Washington and Ottawa (a few months back) but actually looked good in the shootout that night. He wasn’t good against Detroit. We’re winning in spite of him when he’s won, outside of two wins. He wasn’t a big help in beating Washington. He was as big a part of that win as Cory was against the Ducks back in December.

I will say he stepped in and played well the first time against Ottawa. Cory was abysmal that game and left injured after the 2nd period.

You have a point that he hasn’t cost us many points, outside of the couple shootouts where he looked like a statue in, but his goaltending has been so poor, he really shouldn’t get more than 4 more starts this year. That’s assuming he’s not out for a long time. He’s not giving the team a chance to win. They’re giving him a chance to win in most of these games, by averaging 4.5 goals, which is what our goals for is in his wins. If Cory played 33 of the remaining 37 games that would be 66 games for him this season, which is worth it if it’s a playoff year.

This is the worst goaltending we’ve seen on our team since Hedberg in 2013, and Hedberg was awful playing those games in a starting role. He was having a good season as a backup, until Marty got injured and he had to start a career high in consecutive games played.

Camille the Eel

To give the non-Devil his due (having re-watched some DVR of both Flyer losses), I have to say I'm impressed with Provorov. Philly has found a real # 1 defense man in this kid. Tremendous confidence, very sure, skates fluidly, moves the puck naturally, physical in an effortless way, dominates the game, always makes the right play. Far far far more impressive than Gostisbere ever was.

He's a big difference maker for Philly. Makes them much sounder on the back end. But more than that, the kind of defenseman who plays big minutes and controls the game.

(Dano said #2 overall in 2015? Where'd they get such a pick?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Devils Dominion

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
To give the non-Devil his due (having re-watched some DVR of both Flyer losses), I have to say I'm impressed with Provorov. Philly has found a real # 1 defense man in this kid. Tremendous confidence, very sure, skates fluidly, moves the puck naturally, physical in an effortless way, dominates the game, always makes the right play. Far far far more impressive than Gostisbere ever was.

He's a big difference maker for Philly. Makes them much sounder on the back end. But more than that, the kind of defenseman who plays big minutes and controls the game.

(Dano said #2 overall in 2015? Where'd they get such a pick?)
He went 7th. Right after the Devils drafted Zacha :/

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
There is no way, no how the Devils were drafting a Defenseman at #6 in 2015. Just was never happening.

Quenneville, Boucher and Matteau were our best forward prospects at that time.

This. And basically every single one of us here agreed it had to be a forward. Who that forward was going to be is a different story and a horse that's been beaten to death, but it was going to be a forward.

Reactions: Bleedred

Camille the Eel

Dano said 7th, I heard 2d. My hearing is bad. Yes we would have lynched a GM and personnel or scouting director who chose a defenseman that year. Werenski also went to Columbus on that draft. The two of them are two extraordinary players very early on their developments. Matt Barzal is also out of that draft? Pretty special quality on all of those guys.

But I didn't want to chase down that rabbit hole by noting how good Provorov had looked against us in both games. When we see them again we've got to notice this guy and get a forward on him fast in all situations.

Also for Philly, the Valteri Flippula acquisition has worked out better than I'd have expected. He seems to have some tread left on the tire and the DNA (what a mixed metaphor) is Red Wings dynasty. Here's someone who knows how to win. Would take him for Zajac one up at this point in his career without a hesitation.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
This. And basically every single one of us here agreed it had to be a forward. Who that forward was going to be is a different story and a horse that's been beaten to death, but it was going to be a forward.
Dunno if they drafted for position, but if they did, it's definitely a ringing endorsement for drafting BPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->