Dekes

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I've played inline hockey (with a ball) for the last 14 years or so... But the physics are similar when you're talking about stick handling....

My favorite move is to bring the puck in close to the defender and then push it underneath his stick... Puck/ball gets pushed between the open gap between his stick blade and his skates...

The move is demonstrated here:

Petr Prucha vs. EDM 1/12/06

I wouldn't recommend trying to push it thru twice like that... That's not easy to do and the fancier you get, you lower your success rate of beating your defender... It works best obviously on defensemen who leave their stick out infront of them.... You pretty much dictate how they play you.... If they leave it out there, you want to get their body & stick heading the opposite direction that you are.... So that once you beat them once, they won't be in position to go after the puck again..

I'm right-handed, so I come in and head towards my left, making him think I'm going to go that way (on my backhand).... I push the puck towards him (maybe 3 feet from his skates) and if he's got his stick hanging out there, he'll bring it across to try to swipe at the puck... It's important to do this fast and you want to place the puck the right distance from him or when he comes across to swipe at it, he'll make contact with his blade...I push it thru with my back-hand and then accelerate very quicky and retrieve the puck on my fore-hand to fire off a shot...

Defensemen I have the most trouble going up against are the ones who don't leave their stick on the ice... They hold it up in the air shortly off the ice... Very hard to predict what they're going to do with their stick.... I usually try o beat these guys with speed to the outside....

You need to be intelligent when figuring out how to beat people in one on one situations.... They are reading your body language... If you are predictable in your moves, they'll read you and have an advantage... Look at Ovechkin's shoot-out moves.... He lifts his leg and it completely mind-screws goalies... Because the mechanics of shooting dictate that you are going to lift your leg in the process of shooting.... He knows that and he can elect to shoot or deke, but it freezes the goalies...

When coming in on a defender, you can try positioning your body in a particular manner that would lead the defender to believe you're going to go a particular route with the puck... A defenseman who's back skating cannot accelerate as well as a forward skating forwards... You can fluctuate your speed to trick him.... Come in at a certain slower pace.... Angle your body towards the sideboards and carry the puck in that direction... Get him moving sideways one direction, maybe thinking you're going to take it around him on your fore-hand.... Once you get him moving sideways with you, cut back fast with the puck and accelerate quickly... You have the advantage because you know when you're going to change direction & accelerate...

Last edited:

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Hmm..yeah i watched the Skinner preview and it was good, but i have to pay money to see the rest!

I am quite surprised there is no website like this.. ohwell.

Take some private lessons with instructor. Before that you must learn to dribble the puck with your head up. Otherwise you'd waste your time and money.

colton23

Sep 10, 2006
well in my roller hockey leage i play left wing and i am like really fast so i sprint up the boards and the d-man turnsin to take the puck from me then I throw down a wicked instant hockey stop and it usually creates enough space to get in and throw a wrister into the right top corner

*****IN

michaelb27

Oct 19, 2006
A website to learn hockey moves? lol....thats funny.. watch the pro's..go out on the ice and practice...thats how all the greats learned.

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
Dribble? ;)

Stick handle!

He really meant dribble, try taking the puck away from someone who only has it on the ice for a few seconds. :teach:

:sarcasm:

A good practice before going straight for deke learning would be to practice both close-to-the-skates stickhandling and maximum extension stickhandling (both sides of the body, both one-handed and two-handed) and especially the transition between the two without having to look at the puck.

Because technically, once you have that down; you don't really need to learn specific dekes, you just make them up. A deke is after all, just puck/body movement that's done rapidly at the right time.

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
Thats my best move as well, I can pretty much get around the guy 4 outta 5 times with it. I usually come in average speed on the guy (if i can) and then accelerate real fast around the guy when doing the deke, its a good move if you have good speed.

Yup, works everytime. The key is speed. Coming in at a normal pace and then once you get close enough to have to protect the puck you speed up. If you have a quick step you should be able to manuever around him no prob.

Also, if you're just coming in up the middle, I find the ole' head fake works really well. So simple, but effective.

KBstyle

Aug 3, 2005
Good move but if you did this too much it's really easy to stop for a defender. :teach:

Reckless Abandon*

I dont really use dekes, but I have a couple moves.

1. Say your skating head on, move the puck tou your backhand, and move your stick as far away for you to your side as you can (with good control), then lower your inner shoulder, and skate by him. That way he cant poke it away or knock you off it. (If you wanna get a better advantage, and can stickhandle with one hand, do it, use your other to "push off a bit")

2. This one isnt really successful unless your good at it. Skate in, when your a few feet from him pivot so your going backwards, then quickly drive to your stronger side, he'll usually try and bump you off the puck, so you gotta time it right.

Wachovia Center

Dec 2, 2006
I was working on this like last week.

If somebody is coming towards you, you can put the puck through their legs and grab it on the other side.

Spin-o-rama's are pretty cool, I just did one today. =)

I also like to deke right, and then one hand it away from the defense and beat them with speed (I'm right handed so you can figure out how it works). Malkin just did it the other night.

Remember to shield the puck with your body if you don't think you can pull off a good move or something, watch Peter Forsberg, I've learned a lot from watching him.

Reckless Abandon*

If you put the puck between my legs, Id knock you on your ***.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
He really meant dribble, try taking the puck away from someone who only has it on the ice for a few seconds. :teach:

:sarcasm:

A good practice before going straight for deke learning would be to practice both close-to-the-skates stickhandling and maximum extension stickhandling (both sides of the body, both one-handed and two-handed) and especially the transition between the two without having to look at the puck.

Because technically, once you have that down; you don't really need to learn specific dekes, you just make them up. A deke is after all, just puck/body movement that's done rapidly at the right time.

QFT.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Get the Skinner Stickhandling Beyond Belief videoes. If you have the time to practice like the guy shows you, then it's worth it. He pulls of some amazing moves that I could just dream of pulling off. However, just practicing a little bit of how he tells you for basic practice I've gotten quite a bit better at stickhandling in a short time. One problem is that it does cost about $100.
http://skinnerhockey.com

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
I dont deke very often, but one move that tends to work for me is the old put the puck between the stick and skate, which usually causes the defenseman to hesitate or overcommit, then drive around him to whichever side the move was pulled. Backhand to forehand tends to work best for me, but I'm a righty.

Deceptive speed is going to be your best weapon though. Come in at the defenseman at half-speed and turn on the afterburners just as he's within a few feet. This will catch him off guard, and if you can't beat him to the outside, it usually leaves him more vulnerable to any move you might want to try.

Muttley*

Im really bad at passing my man in 1 on 1 situations, what is a good site that shows step by step how to do nifty dekes to get past your man!

There is no good site. Just keep, doing it & doing it & trying.

Practice your skating and everything else will fall into place.

Forget about the "nifty" dekes, do whatever you have to do the make your team win!

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
I've been trying to improve my dekes as well. Then today i played 5 hours of pond hockey in 8 degree weather (which is cold here by the way, and also: ouch, im sore) Needless to say i need to go get my skates sharpened before my playoff game on Monday. But when there's no real nets around and all you're using is peoples shoes for goal posts, there's no shooting. We played even teams no shooting all dekes. Gotta skate it in. REALLY good practice I recommend. When you take shooting out of the equation you focus allot more on stick handling.

But yeah, it helps to be fairly conditioned anyway to help get by people. If you're trying something fancy just uh, keep your head up and keep the feet moving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->