Dek Hockey/Ball Hockey tips?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Hey everyone,

Recently I've had the opportunity to join a Dek Hockey team and find it a bit more challenging than I had thought it was going to be. Ice Hockey is one thing, but with Dek it seems like our team gets way out of position more often than they should. As a forward, I feel like I am the only one that's covering the point, and my other winger is down low trying to fish the puck out of the zone with the defenders + center. (It doesn't help either that only half of the team shows up :banghead:)

I saw that there was a thread originally on google, but with the new site layout, I can't seem to find it.

I did remember seeing that having a blade with no tape does help you stick-handle better.. any other tips?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
5 on 5, with the floating offsides rule

Ok, then a tip I could give you is to exploit the floating offside rule as much as possible, especially on the PP. When gaining the offensive zone, drop it back to a guy that's coming in with speed as soon as he crosses the red line. In ice hockey, they call that the sling shot, and it's generally done in the neutral zone.

Defensively you should definitely cover the point, just like in ice hockey. If you go down low to fish the puck out with your Ds and your C, then who is going to be available to receive a breakout pass?

Also, don't use tape because it makes your stick-handling worse, or just put very little tape.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
In my experience, ball hockey has the lowest barrier to entry and therefore I wouldn't expect anyone else to know what they're doing. You can try to explain to them how to cover the defensive zone the best you can.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Ok, then a tip I could give you is to exploit the floating offside rule as much as possible, especially on the PP. When gaining the offensive zone, drop it back to a guy that's coming in with speed as soon as he crosses the red line. In ice hockey, they call that the sling shot, and it's generally done in the neutral zone.

Defensively you should definitely cover the point, just like in ice hockey. If you go down low to fish the puck out with your Ds and your C, then who is going to be available to receive a breakout pass?

Also, don't use tape because it makes your stick-handling worse, or just put very little tape.

I find that because my other winger is going in to help the Center + D, it just leaves me to cover both points (which shouldn't happen). I know the team I'm on doesn't have much 'skill' but its still fun to play regardless.

In ice hockey, I feel as though position-wise, your able to at least go a bit out of position to help a teammate. In DEK, once you leave your position the opponent can just cycle enough till your drained and then score.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I find that because my other winger is going in to help the Center + D, it just leaves me to cover both points (which shouldn't happen). I know the team I'm on doesn't have much 'skill' but its still fun to play regardless.

In ice hockey, I feel as though position-wise, your able to at least go a bit out of position to help a teammate. In DEK, once you leave your position the opponent can just cycle enough till your drained and then score.

Yeah, that's why you have to be very sound defensively when you play DEK. If you're not positioned correctly in your own end, your team is screwed. The ball goes much faster than you, you won't catch it if you're not covering the point. On the ice, if you're a great skater, you can get away with it and move a bit out of position to help a teammate in a puck battle.

Just cover your point and anticipate the breakout to catch the opposing defensemen flat footed.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Puck/Ball possession is key in ball hockey. Your offense should run like a power play even when playing 5 on 5.

One thing i've noticed playing ball hockey is that "area passes" seem to be more effective in many situations when you wouldn't do so in ice hockey. For example, trying to make a hard breakout pass with a ball that can bounce for almost any imaginable reason makes it difficult to connect. Some teams i've played against just make a softer pass in an open area in front of the player breaking out in the neutral zone and letting the attacking player catch up to the ball seems to be a good strategy in many cases.

As a ball hockey goaltender with alot of experience, if you are able to figure out how to make sliders and sinkers with your slap shot you'll score a few more goals.

Reactions: Fixxer
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Puck/Ball possession is key in ball hockey. Your offense should run like a power play even when playing 5 on 5.

One thing i've noticed playing ball hockey is that "area passes" seem to be more effective in many situations when you wouldn't do so in ice hockey. For example, trying to make a hard breakout pass with a ball that can bounce for almost any imaginable reason makes it difficult to connect. Some teams i've played against just make a softer pass in an open area in front of the player breaking out in the neutral zone and letting the attacking player catch up to the ball seems to be a good strategy in many cases.

As a ball hockey goaltender with alot of experience, if you are able to figure out how to make sliders and sinkers with your slap shot you'll score a few more goals.

Recently I've been able to figure that out.

In ice hockey, It's easier to make a breakout pass and go forward. In DEK, I'll usually pass off to the winger by banking the ball of the boards, or dumping it in a general area. The ball spinning is an element that is so hard to get used to. My team lost just last night on a last second goal because the ball bounced, spun over our defenders stick and landed perfectly to an open area for him to score and beat us.

Now, when your defending in your zone is it better to attack the player with the puck? or be at a stick-length away to defend?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Recently I've been able to figure that out.

In ice hockey, It's easier to make a breakout pass and go forward. In DEK, I'll usually pass off to the winger by banking the ball of the boards, or dumping it in a general area. The ball spinning is an element that is so hard to get used to. My team lost just last night on a last second goal because the ball bounced, spun over our defenders stick and landed perfectly to an open area for him to score and beat us.

Now, when your defending in your zone is it better to attack the player with the puck? or be at a stick-length away to defend?

I think it depends on the team your playing against and their strenghts. However in general, its good practice to be effective at plugging up the passing lanes and forcing the shooters to the perimeter. Don't worry so much about the shots coming off the half wall and be good at puck/ball retreival when cleaning up rebounds or fishing pucks in the corner.

Reactions: Fixxer
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I think it depends on the team your playing against and their strenghts. However in general, its good practice to be effective at plugging up the passing lanes and forcing the shooters to the perimeter. Don't worry so much about the shots coming off the half wall and be good at puck/ball retreival when cleaning up rebounds or fishing pucks in the corner.

So basically try to play a man-to-man system is what I think you're trying to say?

I think the way my team does it is, we have the wingers watch the point, and the D + Center clog the middle so they keep the shots towards the outside.

That tactic usually works but then it falls apart when the opposition starts cycling heavy. The plan by then is to just dump it out

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
So basically try to play a man-to-man system is what I think you're trying to say?

I think the way my team does it is, we have the wingers watch the point, and the D + Center clog the middle so they keep the shots towards the outside.

That tactic usually works but then it falls apart when the opposition starts cycling heavy. The plan by then is to just dump it out

Yeah basic man to man works in most cases. If you are constantly getting caught when the opposition stats cycling heavy it's probably because your team is losing too many one on one battles. Positionning matters but at some point you have to win a few of those 50/50 battles.

One tactic my team experemented a bit with was having the centre watch both points from the high slot and having the wingers come down low to support the defense in the corners. The thought process was to get the centre to do less running overall through the course of the game (Useful when a few guys don't show). We didn't practice enough to make it sucessful but i think it would be an interesting idea to work on. It also makes the breakouts different.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Yeah basic man to man works in most cases. If you are constantly getting caught when the opposition stats cycling heavy it's probably because your team is losing too many one on one battles. Positionning matters but at some point you have to win a few of those 50/50 battles.

One tactic my team experemented a bit with was having the centre watch both points from the high slot and having the wingers come down low to support the defense in the corners. The thought process was to get the centre to do less running overall through the course of the game (Useful when a few guys don't show). We didn't practice enough to make it sucessful but i think it would be an interesting idea to work on. It also makes the breakouts different.

Our team would benefit from practices, although I'm not the captain of the team. Our team is registered as a full squad but barely half of the team shows up on a game night.:thumbd:

I like the second tactic you're talking about. It's just tough because our wingers aren't mobile enough to go from supporting the D to break out with the center.

I find that with breaking out, like I said before, it's easy using the boards and then making a play to shoot it on net. Even with the way that the ball spins, weak shots can sometimes fool the goalie.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016

I'm glad that I'm playing with a long stick. I thought about making it shorter for better shooting. Defensively, the stick has helped a LOT. Oops, I forgot you were a forward. lol
As you say, there is a lot to cover, and running is slower than skating. So, the gaps are tougher to shut down. That feeling of the other team cycling and our team getting drained.. I know that feeling. At times, they wouldn't score.. but would we... not unless we went for a change or someone still had gas left.

I also do not know how much "organisation" is into the hockey you are playing. I mean, I haven't played in many "leagues", but there sure are different levels of "involvement" by the players. to play a team game. There are no coaches, but there may be leaders among the team, which may help guide a few "lost" players. -- I get lost offensively, so I know of course some may get lost defensively, and get to the wrong spots. Oh, and we play 4vs4, so I mostly never have to deal with 2 guys on the point to try and cover...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think the key to good Defense in Ball Hockey is protecting the blue line, once the other team gets the blue, the D team is forced to shrug off a bit and it just becomes so open for the offense.

One of the competitive Ball Hockey teams I play on focuses on a neutral zone trap to force more dump ins. We think it makes more sense to focus on this cause D zone coverage is very difficult and random even at the best of times.

vuvuzela

Jul 6, 2010
Our team would benefit from practices, although I'm not the captain of the team. Our team is registered as a full squad but barely half of the team shows up on a game night.:thumbd:

I like the second tactic you're talking about. It's just tough because our wingers aren't mobile enough to go from supporting the D to break out with the center.

I find that with breaking out, like I said before, it's easy using the boards and then making a play to shoot it on net. Even with the way that the ball spins, weak shots can sometimes fool the goalie.

I find it very hard to get proper practice time in when half the team rarely shows up to games. I run a highly committed team that plays on Sundays and I doubt I could get more than 6 of our 12 players to show up for a practice.

Sounds like you're on a pretty low level team, which can be fun if you're able to put a leash on your competitive nature and focus on improvements of the team/yourself over winning games.

If you're not the captain, it's going to be tough to change the structure of a team, especially if a lot of your teammates aren't very skilled and lack hockey smarts. It's also tough as a new player on a team to try and make changes, a lot of the players won't understand or will get upset at you for what they perceive as you barking commands at them. If you have set linemates, best bet is to talk to them between shifts every time you're on the bench. Get them comfortable with talking to you about strategy, focus on telling them positive things you noticed from the last shift, then hit them with something you'd like to see change.

Based on your description of the team build and commitment level, I'm assuming you guys won't be winning a lot of games. You can greatly impact your own shifts by slowly increasing the way you communicate with your linemates, to the point where they feel comfortable with you shouting commands at them while on the court.

I mainly play 4 on 4 with no icings on a smaller rink. Floating blue line. A lot of the stuff mentioned already is great.

As mentioned, utilize the floating blue as much as possible. Running is a lot more taxing than skating, a lot of skilled players coming from the ice hockey world end up burning their legs out early trying to speed down the wing after gaining the blue line. If your teammates aren't quick and you're comfortable handling the ball, gaining the blue line and then stepping back and allowing your teammates to gain the zone is a great way to increase possession time in the offensive zone.

Subbed in (on defense) and played 5 on 5 on a large court for the first time in a long time this week and was amazed at how much space I had and how easily I could gain the line and hold onto the ball before having to make a decision. The team I played for was middle of the pack in regards to division skill, didn't use the points as much as I'd like to see, but that could be because I didn't know any names, spent the whole game shouting "Yep Yep Yep" or "Hey Yep Hey"

One thing I tend to notice with a lot of players is the amount of energy they expend trying to dangle opponents at all times, in all zones. And how much energy they expend racing to engage in 70/30 board battles (full sprint to try and pin a guy against the boards who already has control and has already identified where his options are).

The team I played for had a certain style and didn't seem to like that I'd throw the ball at the net when I felt I had no options. Not sure how your team would feel about this, but if I can't see an option as a forward and I don't hear anything from my teammates, I'm looking to hit the goalie for a rebound or get a faceoff.

You mentioned practice time, if you have time, I'd recommend wrist shots over and over and over. I have a cement wall in my basement, shoot for 20-30 minutes, practice knocking the ball down and getting the next shot off as quick as possible. A lot of players struggle with spinning/bouncing balls, practice settling it down, practice shooting while it's spinning, practice tapping it towards the net after a hop.

Use the end boards. If I'm coming in 1 on 2 and don't think I can hit the net or beat the defenders, I'll rip it 3 feet wide as hard as a I can, jump past the closest defender and tap the rebound towards the goal. If I've beat the defender cleanly, I usually end up with a couple seconds to make a move 1-on-1 with the goalie, if not, I chip it on net and hope for the best (usually a faceoff).

Take a second to look up the court when you have the ball deep in the offensive zone. If you're playing on a larger rink, one of your defenseman is probably open.

I like my forwards to stay a stick length away from their check, unless their check is known to have a good wrist shot.

Somebody already mentioned possession time is key, but you also have to know your team's strengths and weaknesses and play with them in mind. Example - I played on a 4-on-4 team with 2 shooters and 10 fillers (guys looking to play ball hockey and have fun, very little skill or hockey sense). Our game plan was incredibly simple; clog up the defensive and neutral zone, find a way to get the ball to one of the two shooters, forwards go to the net, shooter shoots, repeat. The shooters played defense on separate pairs, non-shooting d-partner would play close to the center line, used as a pass option under pressure and always ready for the shot missing the net and rebounding out for an offensive odd-numbered chance against. People bought into the system, we won a lot of games 3-2 with very little possession time.

All over the map here, but hopefully some of this works for your style of play. I always find that simplifying is best for new players on new teams regardless of individual skill level. Somebody mentioned that ball hockey has the lowest entry barrier, meaning a lot of student athletes with no hockey skill or older guys who no longer have gas tanks or wheels but can still dangle and go bar down with the best of them. The only thing you can 100% control is your own skill level/conditioning, your own hockey sense, and how well you communicate with your teammates.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
All over the map here, but hopefully some of this works for your style of play. I always find that simplifying is best for new players on new teams regardless of individual skill level. Somebody mentioned that ball hockey has the lowest entry barrier, meaning a lot of student athletes with no hockey skill or older guys who no longer have gas tanks or wheels but can still dangle and go bar down with the best of them. The only thing you can 100% control is your own skill level/conditioning, your own hockey sense, and how well you communicate with your teammates.

I appreciate a lot of the advice, believe me it helps!

When I first started the thread in September, our team was relegated into the lowly D division (we have A,B,C, and D).

Our team got some new recruits, and we were in first place before having a bye week when some of the other teams were complaining that our team was ‘too good’. To make a long story short, we had to cut one of our guys because he plays floor hockey in college. (We’re trying to get him back for next session) and we ended up losing in he Championship final to the team that complained the most about us having ‘too many good players’

One thing I notice about my team is the constant shooting all over the place, instead of working it in the middle. I know it’s kind of hard to work it into the slot to have a better shot, but our team plays positionally so strict that if we pinch and get caught were totally screwed.

Because I’m a smaller guy, using a two piece untaped works well for me. I remember using my old senior sticks for Dek and it wasn’t transitioning right at all. Wasn’t accepting passes right or anything. Recently bought some junior shafts online just in case mine breaks. We have a lot of older guys that play trying to re-live their glory days out there and wack like crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad