Defensemen in 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The 2005 draft has really been hyped and so far, I am impressed by the depth up front, the centers are just amazing especially. However, except Jack Johnson, there is no defenseman standing out. I once saw Anikeenko and Kindl on the top tens but right now, both are out or the first round or in the 20-30s overall. So my question is: will there be any "good" defenseman out of the 2005 draft except Johnson? Same question could be asked about the goalies.

X-SHARKIE

There are alot of good defenseman who are 2005 eligible IMO.

1. Jack Johnson
2. Jakub Kindl (Still top 10 ish)
3. Luc Bourdon
4. J.P. Paquet (one of the most skilled defenseman in the draft)
5. Teemu laakso
6. Ryan Parent
7. Marc Staal

IMO right there are seven defenseman who are 1st round worthy at the moment.

8. Vitaly Anikeenko
9. Dustin Kohn (Stock is soaring) I could go on, This draft IMO is going to be full of good defenseman. Here are couple of darkhorses IMO.

I love Andrew Andricopoulos from the Quebec Remparts, I have him going early/mid 2nd round. Just amazing hockey sense with great hands and vision. A very safe pick with big upside.

The USHL every year seems to have a defenseman who sticks out above the rest, 2003 had Matt Carle, last year there was Klubertanz, and this year it's Brett Motherwell. I went to a Gamblers game to check out Brock Bradford and this is the guy that I came away really impressed with. He's extremely smart, very competive, Like I said just one of the smartest defenseman prospects i've seen at this age. He'll be a good one.

Also a guy from Moncton Wildcats I like alot is Oscars Bartulis. I just never see this guy out of position down low, Plus he has a great transition game and shows very good vision and shot to run a PP.

Northeastern has one I like alot, who I had in my top 60 last year before he opted out, Steve Birnstill.

Goaltending.

1. Tuukka Rask...Likely the next big goaltending prospect from Finland...Never seen him but he had a very good U-20 tournament I understand and well back stop the fins at the WJC's. Probally top 10 pick.
2. Alexandre Vincent... One of my favorites in the whole draft, He'll likely go around 12th-16th in 05. Huge goaltender who dominates. Huge upside.
3. Carey Price
4. J.P. Levasseur ....His numbers are beginning to come up after disapointing start.
5. Ryan Mior... Loved him last year and I saw him once this year steal a game vs Moncton, I dont know why he hasn't excelled this year, mabey it's because Boutin is there?

In my keeper league I have wholes on my back end and goaltending...I plan on filling both wholes with this draft at some point.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:

1. Jack Johnson
3. Luc Bourdon
5. Teemu laakso
6. Ryan Parent
7. Marc Staal

8. Vitaly Anikeenko
9. Dustin Kohn (Stock is soaring) I could go on, This draft IMO is going to be full of good defenseman. Here are couple of darkhorses IMO.

I love Andrew Andricopoulos from the Quebec Remparts, I have him going early/mid 2nd round. Just amazing hockey sense with great hands and vision. A very safe pick with big upside.

The USHL every year seems to have a defenseman who sticks out above the rest, 2003 had Matt Carle, last year there was Klubertanz, and this year it's Brett Motherwell. I went to a Gamblers game to check out Brock Bradford and this is the guy that I came away really impressed with. He's extremely smart, very competive, Like I said just one of the smartest defenseman prospects i've seen at this age. He'll be a good one.

Also a guy from Moncton Wildcats I like alot is Oscars Bartulis. I just never see this guy out of position down low, Plus he has a great transition game and shows very good vision and shot to run a PP.

Northeastern has one I like alot, who I had in my top 60 last year before he opted out, Steve Birnstill.

Goaltending.

1. Tuukka Rask...Likely the next big goaltending prospect from Finland...Never seen him but he had a very good U-20 tournament I understand and well back stop the fins at the WJC's. Probally top 10 pick.
2. Alexandre Vincent... One of my favorites in the whole draft, He'll likely go around 12th-16th in 05. Huge goaltender who dominates. Huge upside.
3. Carey Price
4. J.P. Levasseur ....His numbers are beginning to come up after disapointing start.
5. Ryan Mior... Loved him last year and I saw him once this year steal a game vs Moncton, I dont know why he hasn't excelled this year, mabey it's because Boutin is there?

In my keeper league I have wholes on my back end and goaltending...I plan on filling both wholes with this draft at some point.

Kindl numbers are pathetic so far, as you know. I saw one game from Bourdon and I wasn't impressed at all, and he's 3rd on the list... :dunno: Maybe I am wrong but if Bourdon is the 3rd best defenseman, from what I have seen of him I doubt he will ever make it to the NHL. Maybe it was just a bad game.

I've seen Vincent 4 times this year live, yes he's got a big potential but he is kinda overrated now. When he's on fire, you think he could become a franchise goaltender in the NHL but some nights he just isn't there. If he can't work on his consistency, I doubt he will ever have a chance in the NHL, because when he's cold, he's reaallly cold.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:

1. Jack Johnson
3. Luc Bourdon
5. Teemu laakso
6. Ryan Parent
7. Marc Staal

8. Vitaly Anikeenko

Goaltending.

3. Carey Price

Great post. Thanks alot! My impression was Kindl had fallen to about the early 20's. He can recapture space but I would think is unlikely to be a Top10 guy. A few more names that I have heard alot:

Bobby Ryan. Most have him Top10. Did you just forget him or do you not like him? He may be a forward but I thought I saw him listed as dman

I think Heshmatpour will be hard to pass. Also Mike Gauthier. Also, Russian Prospects has Anton Belov rated higher than Anikienko but he never gets mention. He is 6'3 and close to Anikienko's weight.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

borro said:
Great post. Thanks alot! My impression was Kindl had fallen to about the early 20's. He can recapture space but I would think is unlikely to be a Top10 guy. A few more names that I have heard alot:

Bobby Ryan. Most have him Top10. Did you just forget him or do you not like him? He may be a forward but I thought I saw him listed as dman

I think Heshmatpour will be hard to pass. Also Mike Gauthier. Also, Russian Prospects has Anton Belov rated higher than Anikienko but he never gets mention. He is 6'3 and close to Anikienko's weight.

He was just asking about defenseman and goaltenders...In fact I love Bobby Ryan, I have him #4 on my rankings right now. He is a great great talent who is just controlling games at age 17.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
He was just asking about defenseman and goaltenders...In fact I love Bobby Ryan, I have him #4 on my rankings right now. He is a great great talent who is just controlling games at age 17.

I take it from this that Ryan has not or is not playing any defense. Maybe you did this already but can you rank the top say twelve dmen and give me a wild guess of their likely draft position (assuming a normal 2005 draft.) I'm not sure if your list was prioritized or not. Where do Belov and Anikienko fit in? I would say something like this:

1. Jack Johnson Top3
2. Mark Staal Top8-12
3. Vitaly Anikienko Top15 (This years Valabik)
4. Luc Bourdon Top20
5. J.P. Paquet Top25
6. Deverereax Heshmatpour Top25
7. Teemu Laakso Top 30
8. Ryan Parent 25-35
9. Dustin Kohn 30-40
10. Anton Belov 30-40
11. Andrew Andricopoulous 35-45
12. Brendan Mikkelson 45-55

Did I miss any guys? Am I way off on any? I'd like to see what you think Sharkie. Can you also comment on defensive ability. Hitting, +-, Intinidation etc. That seems to go largely unnoticed.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
borro said:
Did I miss any guys? Am I way off on any? I'd like to see what you think Sharkie. Can you also comment on defensive ability. Hitting, +-, Intinidation etc. That seems to go largely unnoticed.
I'd say Matt Lashoff has a chance at going top 20.

McKeen's currently has him going top 20, anyway.

X-SHARKIE

borro said:
I take it from this that Ryan has not or is not playing any defense. Maybe you did this already but can you rank the top say twelve dmen and give me a wild guess of their likely draft position (assuming a normal 2005 draft.) I'm not sure if your list was prioritized or not. Where do Belov and Anikienko fit in? I would say something like this:

1. Jack Johnson Top3
2. Mark Staal Top8-12
3. Vitaly Anikienko Top15 (This years Valabik)
4. Luc Bourdon Top20
5. J.P. Paquet Top25
6. Deverereax Heshmatpour Top25
7. Teemu Laakso Top 30
8. Ryan Parent 25-35
9. Dustin Kohn 30-40
10. Anton Belov 30-40
11. Andrew Andricopoulous 35-45
12. Brendan Mikkelson 45-55

I listed my first 7 defenseman who I think well all be selected in the 1st round. I had Lashoff going near top 10 from seeing him last year but I haven't seen him or checked up on him yet this year.

Anikeenko I was told looked alot like Rob Blake at a U-17 tournament but hasn't done anything special since :( I would be surprised if Staal makes it that high, because he's not really flashy, but he's one of the steadiest defenseman in the draft, same with Bourdon...I think Staal could go around 15 though. I personally think Heshmatpour won't be selected untill the late 2nd round at the earliest...I think he's a third round talent that could fall because of his uggggly skating.
Other then that, your just missing Kindl who I would say is one of the most pure skilled players in the draft. If you ignored his stats he would be top 3.

Overall I think this draft is loaded with defenseman who have considerable upside. I haven't seen the Fins or Russians. There is a small feisty one I hear in Risto Korhonen from Finland. Sounds like an interesting player.
Jakub Vojta is a guy who had alot of hype before the season but he's not getting any talk anymore.

Good list though overall IMO.

acadienboy

Oct 31, 2004
numbers for Luc Bourdon

markov` said:
Kindl numbers are pathetic so far, as you know. I saw one game from Bourdon and I wasn't impressed at all, and he's 3rd on the list... :dunno: Maybe I am wrong but if Bourdon is the 3rd best defenseman, from what I have seen of him I doubt he will ever make it to the NHL. Maybe it was just a bad game.

I've seen Vincent 4 times this year live, yes he's got a big potential but he is kinda overrated now. When he's on fire, you think he could become a franchise goaltender in the NHL but some nights he just isn't there. If he can't work on his consistency, I doubt he will ever have a chance in the NHL, because when he's cold, he's reaallly cold.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

GP G A Pts PiM +/- PPG SHG WG TG SH% SH FO WF% GH
26 5 5 10 38 -15 4 0 0 0 13.9 36 0 0.0 77

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->