Line Combos: Defense Pairings

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
What do you want to see the pairings be?

I think I would like to see the season start with
Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Spurgeon
Olofsson-Murphy

I think Murphy has looked good in the preseason, and I think Quincey is just not that good. I see Reilly being in Iowa just due to waiver eligibility.

Plus Murphy being a former 1st round pick, lets see Bruce get that potential out of him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think BB is going to want at least one big physical guy on the D. None of the guys above fit that description. I see one of Soucy or Seeler( still get their games somewhat mixed up, aren't they both physical? Quincey made no impression on me at all) slotting in as a 6/7D.

Reactions: Minnesota

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
I think BB is going to want at least one big physical guy on the D. None of the guys above fit that description. I see one of Soucy or Seeler( still get their games somewhat mixed up, aren't they both physical? Quincey made no impression on me at all) slotting in as a 6/7D.
I actually have liked Soucy from what I have seen, I just hope they don't throw Quincey there because of experience.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Olofsson - Quincey

Rotate Reilly/Soucy/Murphy with Olofsson if he struggles.

Book it. ;)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Olofsson - Quincey

Rotate Reilly/Soucy/Murphy with Olofsson if he struggles.

Book it. ;)
I'm betteing the Suter-Dumba/Brodin-Spurgeon experiment AT LEAST makes it into the regular season to start. I hope it succeeds too!

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm betteing the Suter-Dumba/Brodin-Spurgeon experiment AT LEAST makes it into the regular season to start. I hope it succeeds too!
Hopefully you didn't bet to much. Russo tweets that Suter-Dumba experiment is over, and Suter-Spurgeon re-united.

Reilly-Quincy third pairing for first game, but Gustav won't sit long.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
What makes you waiver on it not holding up?

Brodin hasn't progressed since 2013-14, and unless Dumba improves defensively... That pairing worries me.

I'd almost rather see...

Suter - Oloffson/Reilly
Brodin - Spurgeon
Quincey - Dumba

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What was wrong with Suter -Dumba?

Oh, and Brodin had his best year points wise last year, while playing with inferior partners, for the most part. He is bigger and stronger than when he was 19. Don't see how you can say he is the same player. The main obstacle he has to deal with is not playing with Suter or Spurgeon. You're kidding yourself if you think that doesn't matter.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Brodin hasn't progressed since 2013-14, and unless Dumba improves defensively... That pairing worries me.

I'd almost rather see...

Suter - Oloffson/Reilly
Brodin - Spurgeon
Quincey - Dumba
I completely disagree. I thought Brodin was a different player last year in the o-zone. Much more willing to shoot or jump up in the play.

Dumba has been slowly progressing in the d-zone. It’s not terrible but it’s not Suter-like either.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
What was wrong with Suter -Dumba?

Oh, and Brodin had his best year points wise last year, while playing with inferior partners, for the most part. He is bigger and stronger than when he was 19. Don't see how you can say he is the same player. The main obstacle he has to deal with is not playing with Suter or Spurgeon. You're kidding yourself if you think that doesn't matter.

Probably just that they aren't as good as Suter-Spurgeon, and having that pair out there for almost half the game is pretty valuable.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I completely disagree. I thought Brodin was a different player last year in the o-zone. Much more willing to shoot or jump up in the play.

Dumba has been slowly progressing in the d-zone. It’s not terrible but it’s not Suter-like either.

Brodin was more willing to shoot last season, but he's much more prone to defensive mistakes. I'm beginning to think I overestimated his potential because he was paired with Suter those first couple seasons.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Brodin was more willing to shoot last season, but he's much more prone to defensive mistakes. I'm beginning to think I overestimated his potential because he was paired with Suter those first couple seasons.

Brodin was 6th in the entire league in xGA/60 last year, 3rd in SCA/60 and 3rd in HDCA/60.

His defense was impeccable last year. I feel like people are remembering that one awful chip up the boards and recovery against St. Louis and assigning it to his entire season.

Double

Feb 14, 2008
Anyone think the reason for shaking up the pairings before the opener was purely Suter-driven? I do.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Anyone think the reason for shaking up the pairings before the opener was purely Suter-driven? I do.

Personally, I think it's because Spurgeon is a better hockey player than Dumba. And 90% of hockey coaches will put their best LD and best RD together.

But sure, BB doing what every other NHL coach and what he did last year was driven by Suter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->