Line Combos: Defence (minus Cowen/Gonchar)

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Where is Cowen?

cowen should be in the second one, eh? forgot about him :laugh:

looks like we either slingshot staal back out of town, or not trade for him at all. we could of course play staal on the other side, i think i read somewhere that he is capable to play the other side, while i was looking up what we could do for our blueline long term. could be wrong though.

cowen - karlsson
edler - staal
methot - wier

of course, the only thing controllable there would be staal, which even then is iffy. no idea what the rangers want or need. edler is banking on karlsson and alfie to work some magic, so in other words, 100% certain. 'dat defense salary.

edit: rkl, stealing my thundah? how could you? :shakehead ;)

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty sure Gonchar has to come back or he would be kicked out of the KHL. NHL/KHL have an agreement to honour each other's contracts so the only way he is not returning is if the KHL breaks that bond.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
cowen should be in the second one, eh? forgot about him :laugh:

looks like we either slingshot staal back out of town, or not trade for him at all. we could of course play staal on the other side, i think i read somewhere that he is capable to play the other side, while i was looking up what we could do for our blueline long term. could be wrong though.

cowen - karlsson
edler - staal
methot - wier

of course, the only thing controllable there would be staal, which even then is iffy. no idea what the rangers want or need. edler is banking on karlsson and alfie to work some magic, so in other words, 100% certain. 'dat defense salary.

edit: rkl, stealing my thundah? how could you? :shakehead ;)

Looooooool, nah, I was promoting it! It's gonna be a household saying soon, hahhaha. You have no idea how much it bothers me to think how u say it or what it means or how one could have forged such a word....then i saw someone use it on instagram...

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Gonchar will come back.

It's a matter of what the organization thinks of Wiercioch.

If they feel Wiercioch is capable of filling in, I could see us roll:

Methot - Karlsson
Lundin - Gonchar
Phillips - Wiercioch
x-UFA/Trade

brochenski

@brochenski
Feb 1, 2012
If Benoit goes up, won't he have to go through waivers, same if they ever send him back down? Is it really worth losing such a valuable asset to the B-Sens development, when players like Boro and Wiercioch, hell even Gryba, seem like they are ready for the step?

If Benoit can't make the Sens this year then nobody will want him anyways

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Either help is brought in externally or we get a damn good prospect. With all due respect to these players, that'd be the worst group 2 through 6 in the league by far.

Same could be said for most teams if they were to lose two of their three (2/3) best D-men... Not a really big revelation :D

No team can afford to lose 2 key D-men, a trade would be likely

Bouwmeester is awful and even if he was good hes only signed for 2 more years.

Wait... what?

:laugh:

Dude, it's just a HF "paranoisation"... JBo is only "awful" because of his contract... If he was making 3.8, people would have a totally different opinion about him... like 100% reverse back opinion

I'm sick and tired of people saying tank as an option. Do you seriously think the organization is considering that as a gameplan? If it turns out we suck enough to get a top 5 pick, then so be it, but I highly doubt we will be that bad

I don't think any serious franchise could be considering the word "tanking" seriously, that'd be very anti-professional. Not the really the type of management mentality owners are looking for :laugh:

Doesn't work like that in the real world. It's more like do our best, if it doesn't work, try a different recipe.

Methot - Karlsson
Phillips - Lundin
Borowiecki - Wiercioch.

Seriously, that defense ain't that bad and would be seriously underated... I have seen a few Devils squads do a great job without any big names Of course, outside of Karlsson, none would be spectacular and Wiercioch could be a pleasant surprise... I think they could play solid defensively as an unit, with great goaltending (we have 3 good goalies)

Big question mark is offensively outside of Karlsson, who will produce points?

Sens aren't supposed to be world beaters just yet anyway, just learn the NHL game and fight to make the playoffs, get some experience

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Denis Potvin-Karlsson
Methot-Sparty Cat
Phillips-Wierchioch
Lundin

hall of famer, norris winner, and a freaking lion?
i think we have a winner!

Seriously, that defense ain't that bad and would be seriously underated... I have seen a few Devils squads do a great job without any big names Of course, outside of Karlsson, none would be spectacular and Wiercioch could be a pleasant surprise... I think they could play solid defensively as an unit, with great goaltending (we have 3 good goalies)

Big question mark is offensively outside of Karlsson, who will produce points?

Sens aren't supposed to be world beaters just yet anyway, just learn the NHL game and fight to make the playoffs, get some experience

i think that the devils' defense is sort of a product of their system. their job hasn't been to provide offense, but to keep the shots to the outside. ottawa plays a much more offense oriented game and having younger or unproven players in bigger roles could be dangerous. like you said though, we aren't supposed to be great yet, but that defense will probably be the reason we won't be fighting for a playoff spot if we get a season. valuable experience for wier, who has been playing great, but i think benoit should get the call until borocop smartens up. even claesson has been better than him in my opinion. plus he's still injured.
if we're rolling with no trades:

methot - karlsson
phillips - lundin/wier
benoit/boro/claesson - lundin/wier

that bottom pairing spot would be sorted out in camp

pp could be benoit - karlsson, phillips - wier, but for the pk, we could have methot - lundin, phillips - boro/claesson/karlsson

doesn't look great, but hey, we're missing our second pairing.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
hall of famer, norris winner, and a freaking lion?
i think we have a winner!

i think that the devils' defense is sort of a product of their system. their job hasn't been to provide offense, but to keep the shots to the outside. ottawa plays a much more offense oriented game and having younger or unproven players in bigger roles could be dangerous. like you said though, we aren't supposed to be great yet, but that defense will probably be the reason we won't be fighting for a playoff spot if we get a season. valuable experience for wier, who has been playing great, but i think benoit should get the call until borocop smartens up. even claesson has been better than him in my opinion. plus he's still injured.
if we're rolling with no trades:

methot - karlsson
phillips - lundin/wier
benoit/boro/claesson - lundin/wier

that bottom pairing spot would be sorted out in camp

pp could be benoit - karlsson, phillips - wier, but for the pk, we could have methot - lundin, phillips - boro/claesson/karlsson

doesn't look great, but hey, we're missing our second pairing.

While I've really liked what i've watched this year from Claesson, I do not think he is ready for the jump, he needs a few years in the AHL, much like Wiercioch. I've been tough on Wiercioch in years past and finally this year he's starting to put the entire package together. He is going to be ready for a top 6 pairing soon, whether that is this year or next.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
While I've really liked what i've watched this year from Claesson, I do not think he is ready for the jump, he needs a few years in the AHL, much like Wiercioch. I've been tough on Wiercioch in years past and finally this year he's starting to put the entire package together. He is going to be ready for a top 6 pairing soon, whether that is this year or next.

it's just that people pencil boro in the line-up while claesson has looked better than him. if we're going to give borocop a shot at camp, we should give claesson one as well.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
methot-karlsson
lundin-gonchar
phillips-wiercioch

id like a lundin-wiercioch pairing but then phillips-gonchar would lack mobility/speed

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
it's just that people pencil boro in the line-up while claesson has looked better than him. if we're going to give borocop a shot at camp, we should give claesson one as well.

Gryba is more ready than Claesson. You've got three guys in front of Claesson on the depth chart entering this season. One could argue that Boro has slid a little this season.

Claesson is probably our 5th D-man right now, if I had to order them based on this years performance.

1) Benoit
2) Wiercioch
3) Eckford
4) Gryba
5) Claesson
6) Boro
7) Wideman

You could even debate Boro being as low as 6th. I'm not saying Claesson or Boro are bad because they are low, i'm just saying that the talent there is much higher than usual.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
Gryba is more ready than Claesson. You've got three guys in front of Claesson on the depth chart entering this season. One could argue that Boro has slid a little this season.

Claesson is probably our 5th D-man right now, if I had to order them based on this years performance.

1) Benoit
2) Wiercioch
3) Eckford
4) Gryba
5) Claesson
6) Boro
7) Wideman

You could even debate Boro being as low as 6th. I'm not saying Claesson or Boro are bad because they are low, i'm just saying that the talent there is much higher than usual.

Have seen a number of your team's games (an admitted Ranger/Philly and Boro fan from Clarkson) . As many, you are massively underrating Boro because of the role he is asked to play. He's your #1 PK man (is often out for the entire 2 mins) and your best shutdown D-Man by far. Take a look at who your coach puts out on the ice in the last minute of every period in critical situations, key face off situations, PK's, even the odd PP. There isn't another D-man on your team that has his range of capabilities. I'm looking forward to the day when he becomes a group VI free agent when he is 25 and I'll be hoping he heads to NY or Philly so I can see more of him.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

1) Benoit
2) Wiercioch
3) Eckford
4) Gryba
5) Claesson
6) Boro
7) Wideman

i forgot about eckford, but i was looking for a more physical defensive defenseman for that last spot. gryba fits that bill. he plays a safe game, and i don't usually notice him, which means he's doing a good job. i just think that claesson is a better puck mover, which i factored in when considering which dman to put there. claesson is a better fit for the "defense fast" or whatever it's called. i wouldn't be against gryba being ahead of claesson though, i just feel that claesson does has a higher nhl potential than gryba with that mean side developing, his good stick work in the defensive zone, and his better puck skills.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Have seen a number of your team's games (an admitted Ranger/Philly and Boro fan from Clarkson) . As many, you are massively underrating Boro because of the role he is asked to play. He's your #1 PK man (is often out for the entire 2 mins) and your best shutdown D-Man by far. Take a look at who your coach puts out on the ice in the last minute of every period in critical situations, key face off situations, PK's, even the odd PP. There isn't another D-man on your team that has his range of capabilities. I'm looking forward to the day when he becomes a group VI free agent when he is 25 and I'll be hoping he heads to NY or Philly so I can see more of him.

I think you mis-understood. Boro is a talent, he will be in the NHL at some point, whether it's with the Sens or another team. Just because I placed him in the 6th hole doesn't mean he isn't playing well. Sure he doesn't produce to flashiness of scoring but you are right, the guy does his job and does it well. My knock on Boro is that this season he seems to be getting caught flat footed on occasion and takes a bad penalty. So far it hasn't led to bad goals, just bad penalties.

i forgot about eckford, but i was looking for a more physical defensive defenseman for that last spot. gryba fits that bill. he plays a safe game, and i don't usually notice him, which means he's doing a good job. i just think that claesson is a better puck mover, which i factored in when considering which dman to put there. claesson is a better fit for the "defense fast" or whatever it's called. i wouldn't be against gryba being ahead of claesson though, i just feel that claesson does has a higher nhl potential than gryba with that mean side developing, his good stick work in the defensive zone, and his better puck skills.

Agreed. Claesson has impressed the hell out of me this season. As a first year pro, you could tell immediately in October that this kid has the package. He is way above Gryba on the potential chart. As far as development though, Gryba is ahead of him for now.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Inquire about Bouwmeester. Propose a package consisting of futures like DaCosta and Boroweicki.. If Calgary wants more established NHL talent, they send someone else back with JayBo.

Cap space isn't a problem for us. He has just 1.5 years left on his megadeal as well, so term isn't an issue either.

He would be a fit within Coach MacLean's skating-oriented system, and wouldn't be the number one guy, either. Less pressure on a player with mental fortitude issues, allowing him to relax and play his game while Karlsson does a lot of the heavy lifting.

My two cents.

Interesting idea. I do think we would need to give up quite a bit more than B prospects to get him though. Like Zibabnejad and/or Noesen. No way we get away with giving up a Da Costa or Boroweicki as the main piece in the trade.

That said... It could be a deal that makes a ton of sense for both sides. Calgary desperately needs young and good prospects and we have too many almost. We have tons of cap space. I would trade Zibanejad, Pumpel, and Da Costa for Jaybo. Or something of similar value.

So you get Jaybo and you can fill a good 23-24 minutes of ice time (down from his 26/27 minutes he gets now... hopefully he improves?)

Karlsson/Methot
Gonchar/JayBo
Phillips/Lundin/Weircoch/Benoit

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Interesting idea. I do think we would need to give up quite a bit more than B prospects to get him though. Like Zibabnejad and/or Noesen. No way we get away with giving up a Da Costa or Boroweicki as the main piece in the trade.

That said... It could be a deal that makes a ton of sense for both sides. Calgary desperately needs young and good prospects and we have too many almost. We have tons of cap space. I would trade Zibanejad, Pumpel, and Da Costa for Jaybo. Or something of similar value.

So you get Jaybo and you can fill a good 23-24 minutes of ice time (down from his 26/27 minutes he gets now... hopefully he improves?)

Karlsson/Methot
Gonchar/JayBo

:eek: :skeptic:

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

Karlsson/Methot
Gonchar/JayBo

um......
saying da costa is a b prospect is silly. might be my da costa bias flaming though. he is just to talented to be anything less than an nhl'er. clumping boro and da costa together seems wrong to me.

that package is something you give for a really good player. like, really good, not someone you put "hopefully he improves" on. a top prospect, a potential first line winger (absolute max), and a potential second line center (i think he's already almost there) for a second pairing d-man? :huh:

i don't think we should go after someone like bouwmeester, not in a trade with calgary at least. they'll need someone like him on their roster right now (i think they need help all around :laugh:), so the asking price is probably crazy for him.

WhiteLight*

Yeah, JayBo is awful. Contract aside, he is awful. Great physical tools, but no intensity and no brains.

He is such a loser. Seriously. He's a #4 ish d-man, but I don't want him on this team because he's loser who rarely brings it.

Playing him 25 min a game is a sure way of having a losing season.

I still don't understand why Methot was brought in. Just add more to Foligno, make it a better package, and bring in a better d-man.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Yeah, JayBo is awful. Contract aside, he is awful. Great physical tools, but no intensity and no brains.

He is such a loser. Seriously. He's a #4 ish d-man, but I don't want him on this team because he's loser who rarely brings it.

Playing him 25 min a game is a sure way of having a losing season.

I still don't understand why Methot was brought in. Just add more to Foligno, make it a better package, and bring in a better d-man.

Completely agree.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Karlsson/Methot
Gonchar/JayBo

That's the kind of package you give for Rick Nash, not for Jay Bouwmeester... The 2 players don't really have a great contract but Jaybo's is even worse

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Wait until you see him play and how he fits the team and then... you will understand

If they ever play NHL hockey again

Damn whiners (both players and owners). They do this and people still die. **** em

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad